2020, Potted vs Unpotted Custombuckers.

goldtop0

Reaction score
I've got potted and have played recently(and will get in my new 335 in a month or two) the unpotted ones.
Think both are great and the best stock humbuckers Gibson have produced in recent times..........love 'em.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This was another reason I swapped to potted one in my 2020. The potted set I got were as a set of humbuckers should be, a slightly stronger bridge vs the neck.

It's not historically accurate to make them the same (AFAIK), this is just Gibson being lazy/cost cutting isn't it?

Having a weak bridge in comparison to the neck makes them quite useless for my purposes.

They are potted.
Actually Gibson wasn't matching the pickups in the 50s. There are documented bursts that have a higher output neck pickup than the bridge position. If you want more output and less treble just adjust the pickup closer to the strings. Turning the individual screws on the screw side all the way down into the bobbin will also reduce treble and sound more compressed.

boola1

Reaction score
Actually Gibson wasn't matching the pickups in the 50s. There are documented bursts that have a higher output neck pickup than the bridge position. If you want more output and less treble just adjust the pickup closer to the strings. Turning the individual screws on the screw side all the way down into the bobbin will also reduce treble and sound more compressed.
That's what I was saying. It's not historically accurate that both pickups are the same. They are just cost cutting by having just 1 spec of pickup and putting it in both positions. For me, that makes a worse guitar.

Has anybody come accross original PAFs with Alnico III magnets?

You can only go so far with moving the pickup closer to the strings before you affect tone, sustain and the strings start hitting the covers. Anyway, on a $6000 guitar I shouldn't have to go to extreme lengths to get a balanced set of pickups. It's not acceptable.

Last edited:

lawrev

Reaction score
I've read that the 1950s PAFs came with a variety of Alnico magnets - 2, 3, 4, and 5. Whatever was available at the time.

I purchased a pair of unpotted Custom Buckers from a 2019 R9 Standard and happy with the bridge one...that is a 2018 Junior Double Cut reissue. The neck is waiting for an appropriate guitar.

Cory

Reaction score
I love the potted Custombuckers. Best pickups I've ever used.

I like the unpotted ones for their responsiveness and transparency but I like to play with a lot of distortion and they don't seem to have enough meat and are a bit bright through my Marshall.

After having my 2020 R8 for a few months, I knew I had to get hold of some potted Custombuckers. Squealing wasn't an issue for me, the unpotted ones just don't work for heavy rock/metal for me.

Luckily I found some potted ones and couldn't be happier with the results.
Agreed - I own both (potted and unpotted) and my two 2018 reissues with potted CB’s just seem to have a little extra something in them for hard rock / high gain - the heaviest I get is AIC / Cantrell territory and I find them pretty well suited for that level of gain - for reference my main amp is a Bogner 20th Shiva w/ KT88’s - I can crank the gain on that sucker and have no issues with my potted and unpotted CB’s

Latest Threads