2020 LP Muse - or 2020 LP Modern - or 2020 SG Standard 61

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I like the features of the LP Muse as well as the Modern, especially the ebony fretboard on the Modern, but also love the SG Standard 61 Maestro Vibrola.

I would love to hear everyone's opinions on each of these, it would be great from someone with first hand knowledge if you own or have played any of these 3 guitars. I love the Scarlet Red Metallic with black back for the Muse, I love the Graphite Black Modern which is totally sweet and of course love the SG Standard 61 with vibrato for having a guitar with a little whammy action.

I want this guitar not only for it's looks, but how I plays and sounds. It will go on the wall between my two other Les Pauls.

Brian16Sg

Reaction score
Well since you all ready have two Les Pauls an SG give you something differant . i have a Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard ,20 15 Les Pauls Special P90 and a 2016 SG Pro .The SG is a different feel lighter slinder longer . Being 6"4 and haveing long arms the SG feels more confortable to play .

Last edited:

fry

Reaction score
I’m an LP guy, would always choose that over an SG. I also think the new LP Modern is completely awesome, out of the park home run.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's only one answer.

Buy all three.

But seriously....
Check out some of the reviews on the Vibrola.
There is a reason it was not installed on most products for many years.
I love the SG style, feel, and sound, but the Gibson Vibrola is certainly not a good option for "a little whammy action"
The TOM bridge was just not designed for it.
Better would be a Bigsby, with a roller bridge, but ultimately, a Fender style trem would be more usable and stable.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I think maybe I will get an LP Modern and put a Bigsby on it.

mfoster

Reaction score
How cool would it be for Epiphone to come out with an Axcess version !

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am actually looking maybe into an EHV Wolfgang Special Stealth Black that comes with an ebony fretboard.

scrumm21

Reaction score
imo

'Modern' w\ Epi ProBucker pups
over
Muse w\ Epi alnico classics
over
Sg

jb_abides

Reaction score
I think maybe I will get an LP Modern and put a Bigsby on it.
Modern: Use a Virbramate if you do. Or a Stetsbar. Reversible, no holes!

SGs are ultracool alternative given what you have, but the maestro is for gentle changes, not whammy bar action. If you want an SG, get an SG with a stoptail and do above mods. Or a Bigsby.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
To bad there are no music stores open right now, I would have loved to go play some guitars before my final decision. I ended up going with the EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth Black with the Ebony Fingerboard. I watched quite a few videos on all my choices before making the final decision. Plus... rather than go with a used one, I got a small discount from ZZounds and will have it by Friday. Guitar Center had a 12% off coupon, but never ending up talking to anyone to see if it was valid on and EVH guitar. I called Sweetwater, but never got a call back, plus Sweetwater was out of stock and who knows when they would get more in with our current situation. ZZounds had it in stock and I did get a little bit of a discount and free shipping by Friday. What's an additional $50 off from Guitar Center when they state right on there website that shipping would be longer because of Covid-19. Plus... Guitar Center shipping can take a long time sometimes even without a Pandemic. I always never minded the long messed up shipping with Guitar Center because I could always get another $100 off when my shipments would get lost or just messed up. I would eventually get my guitar with a nice discount it seems. But right now... they would not be giving any discounts for late shipping, since every company is having enough troubles staying afloat with our current predicament.

Last edited:

Latest Threads