2020 LP Classic pickups opinion

AJK1

Reaction score
I bought a Translucent Cherry Classic two days ago on a whim and am very happy with it but the jury is out on the pickups
I like all the switchable vol and tone features etc but I’m not sure if I like the pickups so much in comparison to my other LP’s
Anyone else here got any real world experience/advice with these guitars/pickups they’d like to share ?

bytemare

Reaction score
Are those the '61 pickups? I love them. Actually I like most pickups, it's rare when I hear a pickup that I don't like. But those '61s are my favorite, and I even have a spare set in case I just happen to find a nice LP body to put them into!

Gitter

Reaction score
I also like the 61's...OP - try lowering the height a little before you give up on them.

AJK1

Reaction score
The neck was fine but I lowered the bridge quite a lot
Improvement, not so edgy and bright

Thundermtn

Reaction score
There's more room in pole pieces and string composition too. The '61 is one of my favorite Gibson p/ups.

runningonempty

Reaction score
no pics???
and i have a classic and i wouldn’t change a thing about it
but i’m no expert either

AJK1

Reaction score
I also lowered the g and b pole screws on both pickups and it has evened out the string volume balance
I’m actually really enjoying using the tap on both pickups, sounds a little like a beefy Tele

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
I always had difficulty posting photos on here so I never bother but if I figure it out I will

Rozman62

Reaction score
Also have a '20 translucent cherry and dropped both pups. The 61's are pretty good. I keep my bridge tone between 4-6 to take off some top end. Ive ripped out the pcb on 3 others Gibsons and replaced with a wiring harness but for now will leave this one be as it sounds good.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Go to postimages.org

Click upload

Choose image from your phone

Then click the little icon on the right of screen for the option for "hotlink for forums

Come back here and hold down on the posting screen until a dialog box pops up and hit the paste button

AJK1

Reaction score
Go to postimages.org

Click upload

Choose image from your phone

Then click the little icon on the right of screen for the option for "hotlink for forums

Come back here and hold down on the posting screen until a dialog box pops up and hit the paste button
Thx I think it worked

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Are those the '61 pickups? I love them. Actually I like most pickups, it's rare when I hear a pickup that I don't like. But those '61s are my favorite, and I even have a spare set in case I just happen to find a nice LP body to put them into!
Can I ask what you like about them? Or how you keep yours set up in terms of pickup and pole piece height?

I have the 61R/T in my standard 60’s, they sound good overall but the bridge pickup sounds relatively thin and quieter, the neck is great but a louder and boomy.
I raised the bridge pickup up pretty high which helped make it louder and balanced the volume, but it seems to lack body to the sound and it’s still piercing and thin if I have the tone fully up, if that makes sense.
I really liked the 498T bridge on another Les Paul I tried.

bytemare

Reaction score
Does this help?

https://ibb.co/S7CXnCw

For me the neck and bridge seemed well balanced, and I they seem to have a single-coil quality to them. They are a little bright but I don't find them piercing at all. I also like how they sound clean or with just a touch of overdrive. I don't know really how to explain it, they just have more character to me than some of the other Gibson pickups I've tried (I'm no expert though!)

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Does this help?

https://ibb.co/S7CXnCw

For me the neck and bridge seemed well balanced, and I they seem to have a single-coil quality to them. They are a little bright but I don't find them piercing at all. I also like how they sound clean or with just a touch of overdrive. I don't know really how to explain it, they just have more character to me than some of the other Gibson pickups I've tried (I'm no expert though!)
Thanks! Yeah that’s perfect, I’ll try to match the heights in the photo. Looks like I set the bridge pickup a little too high on mine.

Interesting you say that. I did notice I like this guitar best when I have a light classic rock overdrive on my amp. It does high gain pretty well too, but I struggled with getting a clean sound I really liked. I’ll try lowering the bridge to be closer to what you have.

Latest Threads