2020 Les Paul Custom Pro or Standard 1959

mkel2010

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for awhile. I'm looking for impressions/opinions on both the 2020 Les Paul Custom Pro and the Standard 1959. Not necessarily the cosmetic differences, but any noticeable differences in sound, playability, construction quality and the like. I'm also interested in opinions on any differences in neck profile between the two models.

I have a 1959 on order, but it seems that Epiphone is really slow on getting them into the stores. I've found a few places that have the Custom Pro in stock and I'm trying to decide whether I should wait and hope the 1959 comes in before Christmas or jump on the in stock Custom Pro.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would honestly wait for the 59. I've had custom pros and imo, the 59 is far above them. excluding the fact of the prettier aspect of the pros.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I don't have either but I do believe the '59 has better pickups and harness. How much better depends on your ear and taste. I have a '19 Custom pro and while the probuckers sounded fine I ended up putting in BB's 1/2 with a 50's harness. It sounds much better to me but since I didn't try the 50's harness with the probuckers I'll never know how much better really. Just a matter of taste and aesthetics I guess.

wjlim22

Reaction score
Is there a 2020 Custom Pro? I thought they stopped making the Custom Pro in 2019. I didn't know they had new ones.

I have a 2019 Custom Pro. I love it. I've had two 2019 Custom Pros. Both were excellent guitars. I've had 3 different 2020 Customs. Two of them had bad fret work and the one that was good is the one I kept. It is a great guitar. Stays in tune, feels great to play. Looks awesome and has great fit and finish.

I had two different 59s in the aged dark burst. They had better fret work than the Customs and the pickups are brighter. The sound and intonation was great with minor adjustments on both 59s that I had. The weak points were gaps in the pickup rings and one had a dent in the top. The Gibson pickups are brighter than probuckers but it still isn't a replacement for a Gibson. I returned both because I didn't really like the feel and look of the satin. The neck was rounded but not very thick. It didnt feel like a special guitar to me.

I had a similar decision to make and I kept a 2019 Silverburst Custom Pro and a 2020 Ebony Custom and returned the 59s. Happy with the decision. I don't really care if the 59 is limited. It is a tough decision but came down to personal preference. Good and bad to both. If you can, buy both and return the one you don't like or keep both!

20201121_223045.jpg

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I have 2 custom pros and I just got a new custom. The new custom is a pos compared to my older custom pros. I got mine used from GC, so maybe it was a return etc.... horrible fret leveling and the tone is thin/shrill. I can fix the frets. Hope I can tame the tone or other pickups will be needed. I got a good price so I’m not all tore up, but I am disappointed in the qc

wjlim22

Reaction score
I have 2 custom pros and I just got a new custom. The new custom is a pos compared to my older custom pros. I got mine used from GC, so maybe it was a return etc.... horrible fret leveling and the tone is thin/shrill. I can fix the frets. Hope I can tame the tone or other pickups will be needed. I got a good price so I’m not all tore up, but I am disappointed in the qc

I went through 3 of the 2020 Customs before I found a good one. The frets are a huge problem but the good one I got is an excellent guitar. The twangy sound is because the strings suck and the pickups need to be adjusted. Just raise the pickups higher and get some coated strings and it will sound way different.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
My only experience is with my Custom Pro (2018), but it is the reason I would recommend that model. There was nothing that needed upgraded. All hardware is top knotch, even by Gibson standards. And the splittable ProBuckers deliver all the LP you would ever want.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I went through 3 of the 2020 Customs before I found a good one. The frets are a huge problem but the good one I got is an excellent guitar. The twangy sound is because the strings suck and the pickups need to be adjusted. Just raise the pickups higher and get some coated strings and it will sound way different.
I usually run Ernie ball slinky or di addario 9.5’s which sound good on my other guitars. I’ve adj the pickups a bit and the pole pieces as well a bit. It’s better but still crap compared to my others. I think part of it, is the action is so high because of the crap frets. Guitar is a tank as well. weighs a ton. Bit of neck dive. She’s gonna be a project to get right

JayPDizzle

Reaction score

My new Bonamassa Custom has pretty poor fret levelling too. I'm probably going to end up returning it.

wjlim22

Reaction score
I usually run Ernie ball slinky or di addario 9.5’s which sound good on my other guitars. I’ve adj the pickups a bit and the pole pieces as well a bit. It’s better but still crap compared to my others. I think part of it, is the action is so high because of the crap frets. Guitar is a tank as well. weighs a ton. Bit of neck dive. She’s gonna be a project to get right

Yeah the fret work on the first two I had was terrible. The first one had so much fret buzz all over the fretboard even with high action. I tried another one and when I lowered the action, it caused dead frets near the body. The GC sales guy said these guitars weren't designed for low action. Total bull crap.

My 2019 Custom Pro has low action and no buzz. The sound is less tinny than the 2020. I agree with you on that.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
i had to tinker with the neck adjustment on my 2020 custom to get it right. after replacing the bridge and tail piece with the tone pro system 2 bridge set and the locking grover tuners. the guitar plays really nice. i got lucky on the frets... nice guitar deff worth the money....

rbraad68

Reaction score

i dont get the whole fret thing with the EPI's and to get a bad one on the higher end series like the custom... mine didnt sound too bad and with some tinkering with the neck adjustment i have little to no fret buzz .. i didi winnd up tearing the guitar down to the bare body and replacing everything. new harness a diff set of pro buckers sitch craft toggle ect ect ... and i coulnt be happier with the guitar. all in all with the extra money i got into the guitar i still dont have much into the thing. i picked my 2020 custom up for 449 at GC as well..

302mark

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for awhile. I'm looking for impressions/opinions on both the 2020 Les Paul Custom Pro and the Standard 1959. Not necessarily the cosmetic differences, but any noticeable differences in sound, playability, construction quality and the like. I'm also interested in opinions on any differences in neck profile between the two models.

I have a 1959 on order, but it seems that Epiphone is really slow on getting them into the stores. I've found a few places that have the Custom Pro in stock and I'm trying to decide whether I should wait and hope the 1959 comes in before Christmas or jump on the in stock Custom Pro.
Definitely wait for 59

302mark

Reaction score
Is there a 2020 Custom Pro? I thought they stopped making the Custom Pro in 2019. I didn't know they had new ones.

I have a 2019 Custom Pro. I love it. I've had two 2019 Custom Pros. Both were excellent guitars. I've had 3 different 2020 Customs. Two of them had bad fret work and the one that was good is the one I kept. It is a great guitar. Stays in tune, feels great to play. Looks awesome and has great fit and finish.

I had two different 59s in the aged dark burst. They had better fret work than the Customs and the pickups are brighter. The sound and intonation was great with minor adjustments on both 59s that I had. The weak points were gaps in the pickup rings and one had a dent in the top. The Gibson pickups are brighter than probuckers but it still isn't a replacement for a Gibson. I returned both because I didn't really like the feel and look of the satin. The neck was rounded but not very thick. It didnt feel like a special guitar to me.

I had a similar decision to make and I kept a 2019 Silverburst Custom Pro and a 2020 Ebony Custom and returned the 59s. Happy with the decision. I don't really care if the 59 is limited. It is a tough decision but came down to personal preference. Good and bad to both. If you can, buy both and return the one you don't like or keep both!

View attachment 501374
I have 2 custom's exact same colors my silver burst is an 08 and my ebony is a 20 Love em both

Latest Threads