2020 Les Paul Classic Worn

msalama

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Matt. Will now think long and hard before doing anything, but the Virtuoso line of products at least seem good, so I may well go with them. Thanks again.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about going through the finish. Poly is really a hard finish even if it seem thinner on these. It's not like you'd be using sandpaper. You're just taking down the microscopic texture that makes it look matte.

Didn't people who ended up with residue do it on an open pores nitro finish ? Two very different finishes.

MattyJ92

Reaction score
The tweaking continues... Switched to Amber reflector knobs and a plain black truss rod cover. Amber switch tip is in the mail, then I'm out of ideas
20210706_080322.jpg

Jay4321

Reaction score
2020 worn black model, resprayed black nitro and re-worn. Top was grain filled prior to paint. Took the stuff off back of neck also. New everything from tuners to pickups, nut, probably one of my finest fret levels ever.

Didn't like the worn finish feeling as they had it, and unscrewing the pickguard took off a flake of it easy. Took very little effort to strip the top. Polished, the top looks decently clean an actual black, not the ashy grey-black matte it was

Figured if I wasn't into it I'd do a total repaint but it works for me as is, kind of a Gilby Clarke vibe. Plain top underneath looked respectable though. I could clean the finish off this thing in 90 minutes by hand easy if I had to, but the way it's set up right now and how it plays it's perfect and don't want to mess with a good thing. I think some people would dislike the original texture, most would be fine with I imagine.

Originally wanted to do a leaf foil top in a kind of rose metallic but it didn't set well and the color didn't work. I could have real-gold leafed it but nah.

My least favorite model of all the 2020-2021s I've bought (6), but it ended up the best player at least so far. Would not buy another worn though. I should measure neck spec though it feels mildly thicker than the Moderns for sure at least toward nut

Last edited:

Lesp_All

Reaction score
The tweaking continues... Switched to Amber reflector knobs and a plain black truss rod cover. Amber switch tip is in the mail, then I'm out of ideas
MattyJ92, it's been a few months - how's the polished finish holding up? Still looks the same?

MattyJ92

Reaction score
MattyJ92, it's been a few months - how's the polished finish holding up? Still looks the same?
It is holding up great! As you can see I came up with another idea lol… I added a Seymour Duncan Omega bridge PUP! This thing rips and looks great now (IMO).
F12F578E-0E54-40A0-9FF3-FFF3C6865261.jpeg
86318353-6A36-4D76-9496-A5BC8613D8C2.jpeg

Lesp_All

Reaction score
It is holding up great! As you can see I came up with another idea lol… I added a Seymour Duncan Omega bridge PUP! This thing rips and looks great now (IMO).
Looks great! Thanks for the update!

rbraad68

Reaction score
How did you get past the open poors? I tried some of that polish i used on my 59 and it did nothing! the poors were to open i guess? yours look great man!!

MattyJ92

Reaction score
How did you get past the open poors? I tried some of that polish i used on my 59 and it did nothing! the poors were to open i guess? yours look great man!!
I used the virtuoso cleaner first, which did most of the work, then the polish after to give it some shine. Keep in mind that this was only done on the maple top, not the mahogany sides and back. Maple has smaller pores and as long as I was careful to get all of the cleaner and polish off with a clean rag after each application it was fine. Mahogany has large pores and I imagine this product would not work well at all with it. I’m also not sure what finish is on your 59…

NailedIntoBarrels

Reaction score
I like the idea of this model - seems like it would avoid one of my major issues with the Epiphones which is the thick plasticky finish! Also those Alnico V classic pickups sound better to me than the Probuckers, I don't like A2 bridge pickups in general.

Latest Threads