2020 Les Paul Classic Worn

DrBGood

Reaction score
I look at it this way. I need to bond with a guitar in order to get it playing it’s absolute best before I’m going to consider changing anything.

Maybe it’s being a father of young kids but I’ve learned to take my time and slow it down in all things in life.

Right now I’m making daily, and incremental, changes to action, pickup height, pickups screw height, watching tuning stability, listening for how the guitar responds, etc. I need to get the guitar to a peak stage in its stock form before I can understand what I think it needs to improve.

Does it mean I won’t eventually swap some stuff out? Absolutely not but that decision will come after I know what it’s capable of to the fullest extent in stock form.

There is plenty to sort out that does not involve any hardware changes. Something faulty? That’s different. Want it to look different? That’s down to taste.
Finally, a voice of reason. Thank you EpiLP1985, I'm getting of tired of reading about the parts replacement frenzy on every single electric guitar forum.

Oakman29

Reaction score
The Alnico 2 pickups are perfect for blues to hard rock. The Grover locking tuners are fantastic. Epiphone has listened to their customers, and you couldnt get a guitar made this well for the price point they are at.
My 2020 Epiphone LP is just as nice, if not better than my 81 Gibson LP custom.

MattyJ92

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2020 Worn with Heritage Cherry Sunburst and I love it as is. I'll be adding pickup covers mostly because I prefer the look and am fine with mellowing the tone some, but aside from that and some Dunlop strap locks, it doesn't need anything at all. I'm also interested to see how the finish ages. In a year or two this should be a really cool looking and great playing guitar.

msalama

Reaction score
a 2020 Worn with Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Me too :) Bought mine a couple of months ago (see the avatar) and wow what an excellent guitar! Not gonna mod her at all persay - no need really, b/c she sounds just wonderful with the stock AlNiCos and H/W - but may still give her a polish, b/c am not sure whether that matte / satin finish is to my liking. Or should I just leave her well alone, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Oakman29

Reaction score
Me too :) Bought mine a couple of months ago (see the avatar) and wow what an excellent guitar! Not gonna mod her at all persay - no need really, b/c she sounds just wonderful with the stock AlNiCos and H/W - but may still give her a polish, b/c am not sure whether that matte / satin finish is to my liking. Or should I just leave her well alone, what do you guys think?
I actually love the matte finish, it just feels great playing it.
_200413122133_Baby Taylor_full.jpg

MattyJ92

Reaction score
It wasn't my first choice of finish either, but it's growing on me. I love the feel of the neck and back. I'm hoping with a little time the matte finish will fade some and it will start to look really cool. I think it just looks a bit strange on a brand new guitar. I'll be patient for now.

msalama

Reaction score
I actually love the matte finish, it just feels great playing it.
I'll be patient for now.
Yeah, she plays excellent as-is, it's just a cosmetic thing because I like gloss finishes on my guitars. So perhaps better leave her alone for now and see how she ages first I think...

The guitar was originally strung with 10-46s & played great out of the box. I changed the tenners for 09s then played those a couple weeks, found out that was a mistake & re-strung her with EB 10-46s and now she plays great again. It's funny how some Lesters like niners more, whereas others you really need to string with tens to make them sing. But that's just the way it seemingly is...

MattyJ92

Reaction score
The guitar was originally strung with 10-46s & played great out of the box. I changed the tenners for 09s then played those a couple weeks, found out that was a mistake & re-strung her with EB 10-46s and now she plays great again. It's funny how some Lesters like niners more, whereas others you really need to string with tens to make them sing. But that's just the way it seemingly is...
I had my Gibson standard 2017T strung with 11-49s and it seemed to like those best. This Epi Classic Worn seems to like 10-46 so I'll resist going up for now.

My pickup covers arrived today and I'll post some pics once I but them in!

MattyJ92

Reaction score
So I got up this morning and couldn't wait to get these covers on!

20210517_115932.jpg

A little electrical tape and clear silicone to prevent squealing.

20210517_115910.jpg

Saudered into place

20210517_102822.jpg
20210517_112032.jpg

Ah, much better! (IMO)

Finished with some new 10-46 D'addario Nickel Wounds and some slight pole height adjustments and she's never looked or played better!

msalama

Reaction score
Man that looks spiffy :thumb: Feels a bit eerie though, because it's just as if I was looking at my own Epi, but something's a tiniest tad different...

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

MattyJ92

Reaction score
Off Topic: How do you like the Marshall Code amplifier?
Its perfect for a basement player like myself. It's plenty loud as I have neighbours attached and can't go much louder without the police being informed. A purist wouldn't like it, but I like how many amp/sound combos I can get and with the 4 switch code pedal, pre-set 10 banks of 3 different sounds.

MattyJ92

Reaction score
So after some research into poly finishes, it sounds like the stuff would never wear like I want it to, so... I bought some Virtuoso cleaner and polish and tested it out under the pick guard... And voila!
20210520_164321.jpg

I didnt want it to be super glossy and I know the finish is thin on the worn models so I did one gentle coat of the cleaner and one vigerous coat of polish only.
20210520_164236.jpg
20210520_164303.jpg

I love the results. The wood grain pops more and the red looks a little richer. Still looks vintage/worn, but less unfinished.

msalama

Reaction score
Awright! She looks gorgeous, may well have to do likewise... ;)

Speaking of Virtuoso products however: I've got a mostly original (pots changed) 73-74 LP Deluxe I accidentally sprinkled some handrub on, resulting in small milky stains I'd like to get rid of. Am leery of using any kind of polish on her, but how about just the cleaner alone? Would that work IYO? Because I DEFINITELY don't want to to screw her up any worse...

msalama

Reaction score
The Grover locking tuners are fantastic
Agree with everything you said otherwise, but locking Grovers? Because mine came with a basic conventional set (that work great though, so this isn't a complaint in case you were wondering).

MattyJ92

Reaction score
Awright! She looks gorgeous, may well have to do likewise... ;)

Speaking of Virtuoso products however: I've got a mostly original (pots changed) 73-74 LP Deluxe I accidentally sprinkled some handrub on, resulting in small milky stains I'd like to get rid of. Am leery of using any kind of polish on her, but how about just the cleaner alone? Would that work IYO? Because I DEFINITELY don't want to to screw her up any worse...
The cleaner alone did add some shine, but the polish took it up another notch. I did some research on the Virtuoso stuff before using it, and some people who used it on open pore surfaces had some white residue in the grain, most people with faded SGs (mahogany), while our tops are maple, which is a more closed grain wood. So stick to just the top, leave the sides, back and neck alone. Put the cleaner or polish on the rag (not directly on the wood), and go slow and sparingly like I did and the results will be good IMO.

I also gave the guitar a very gentle wipe with a scotch brite pad, then a towel before starting to make sure things were mostly smooth. Not sure if that made a difference tho.

Latest Threads