2020 Les Paul Build

ExNihilo

Reaction score
I have started a build for 2020. It just occurred to me that I did not build a guitar last year (been very busy). A couple of months ago I looked through my wood pile and found a slab of genuine Honduran mahogany. And so it begins.

The first pictures were taken with my phone. As I progress I will take better pictures for you.

Here is the top attached to the Mahogany with fish glue.

Here are the steps and cavities carved. On this one I chose to route the mortise before sanding out the shape.

Here's the cut binding channel.

Binding on.

And here is the basic carve. Final perfection will come when the guitar is all together and I get ready for finishing. I think this one has some cool markings.

The other thing about this one . . . It's going to be heavy! This body alone is about 6.5 lbs! I chambered my last few Les Pauls and thought I would go ahead and make a monster. Let it weigh what it will weigh. How does the saying go? It is what it is? I had been holding on to this Honduran blank for a number of years because it was pretty heavy and I didn't know what I wanted to do with it. Well, that decision is made now. I will be very surprised if this one comes in under 10ibs when it's all done. But, no matter. I virtually never, and I mean never, play my guitars standing up. I just record with them sitting down. So, a little bit of heft is OK. . . Am I right?

Kennoyce

Reaction score
As always, beautiful work, just out of curiosity, is there any reason you chose to do the mortise and pickup routes prior to sanding? To my admittedly very inexperienced brain it seems like it would make sanding much more difficult, so just curious what your reasoning is.

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Sanding is the same because I tape off that part with strapping tape. The advantage to cutting the mortise is that there is more surface to tape the template down. It's not critical either way to be honest.

Airplane

Reaction score
i can already tell this is going to be one of my fav tops ever.. if you don’t go full lemon that is.

dcomiskey

Reaction score
Can you wipe some naptha on it to show the figuring?

lowatter

Reaction score
Looks like another stunner Scott. 10#'s wouldn't bother me because I never play standing up as well. I'm definitely NOT a performer and would projectile vomit playing in front of a crowd. :run:
If it's not too personal, what do you do the rest of the year for a living? Also, do you have a link of your guitar playing/recordings etc? Lastly...did you make the cool little wooden ship in the pics next to the banana bowl? :hmm:

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

Some answers:

1. I don't have any naptha, but even if I did, I would not wipe any on the top. The reason why goes back to the first LP I made. I was so surprised by what happened when I shot the first base coat of clear lacquer. It's kind of like when we had our kids, we never wanted to know what they were going to be (boy or girl) until they were born. So, it's going to be a surprise! We'll just have to wait for spray day.

2. What I do with my life can be found here: What I do with my life

3. My music projects can be found here: My Songs

4. I did not make the ship. We got it in England back in 2011.

Thanks again everyone.

rockgod212

Reaction score
looking great, cant wait to see more from the master.........

ExNihilo

Reaction score
I have two questions for the forum that have to do with fingerboard radius.

For a long time I have been searching for some concrete answers respect fingerboard radii. Almost everyone who answers these questions does not own, or has ever actually measured a real burst. And then there is also the unhelpful answers such as: They are all different, it doesn't matter, many are compound, etc. etc.

I have made Les Pauls with 10 and 12 inch radii, but once again, I am torn as to what to do. Some claim most vintage burst are 10" and others maintain they were 12".

I understand the subjective nature of these questions, but still, I would love to have simple concrete proof; like actual pictures of a vintage burst fingerboard with a radius gauge on it. Or, to hear a burst owner say, "the radius on my burst is . . ." etc.

So, here are my questions:

1. What is the TRUE answer to the question: What is the most common finger board radius for vintage bursts (58-60)?
2. If you personally own or have personally measured a vintage burst fingerboard, what is the radius of your vintage burst?

Can any of you guys help me out with this?

Thank you!

archey

Reaction score
I don't know for myself, as I've never even played a real 59. Here is a snippet from an interview with Paul Reed Smith. He's repaired some vintage Les Pauls in his early career and also owned a few for r&d when developing his own brand. So I imagine what he has to say is accurate.
20191224_120825.jpg

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
My 1st thought would be if they were 10” in the late 50s why did they design the ABR-1 with a 12” radius?

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
All of the Gibson re-issues and their whole Original collection line is 12" radius. Also most of the suppliers of vintage bridges are shown with a 12" radius. When he says old does he mean "old" or does he mean the original bursts 59 - 60??

He says he's never had an artist complain.. but have requested a flatter radius. Does that not mean complain?

It's hard to believe all of the ones he has measured have 10" radii. I know quite a few replica builders and never heard of one using 10". Maybe they do not advertise the fact?? I guess this isn't really a new thing to have some sort of difference in details of how the "old" guitars were made.

Cheers Peter.

Edit - Nuance beat me to it!

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just looked up the specs on a pre-ABR wrap tail. They are also a 12” radius so the same question would apply why design tail pieces with the “wrong” radius

redking

Reaction score
Just looked up the specs on a pre-ABR wrap tail. They are also a 12” radius so the same question would apply why design tail pieces with the “wrong” radius
Fretboard radiusing jigs becoming inaccurate over time with use?

ExNihilo

Reaction score
Thank you guys very much for your responses, but this is how the radius question has been answered for years on the internet. A great deal of speculation and more questions. So far, the most authoriative answer we have is from Dan Erlewine and Paul Reed Smith who say (in writing) that the vintage bursts were10". I am really hoping that some guys from the forum, who actually own a burst, or have actually measured one, will chime in and say, "Mine is 12"" or "mine is 10"" etc. And, I would love to see some concrete examples proven with photographs. :)

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
Fretboard radiusing jigs becoming inaccurate over time with use?
True, but how did Gibson radius their boards? I’d bet they used some kind of a bladed cutter with the radius in the blade. *IF* that were the case there wasn’t a jig just a machine spitting out 12” blanks all day, but I’m speculating

Last edited:

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys very much for your responses, but this is how the radius question has been answered for years on the internet. A great deal of speculation and more questions. So far, the most authoriative answer we have is from Dan Erlewine and Paul Reed Smith who say (in writing) that the vintage bursts were10". I am really hoping that some guys from the forum, who actually own a burst, or have actually measured one, will chime in and say, "Mine is 12"" or "mine is 10"" etc. And, I would love to see some concrete examples proven with photographs. :)
Well, considering that there is basically one single individual with a ‘59 LP who hangs out in this specific sub-forum with any regularity AND has in the past been willing to fulfill requests like this...

Paging @pinefd

Latest Threads