2020 IBG Les Paul Classic just not doing it

GenghisBomb

Reaction score
I came back to playing electric guitar in late 2019, and ended up settling on the newly released Inspired by Gibson Les Paul Classic. I loved it at the time. After getting it home, and a few guitars, I find it a little underwhelming. I have played the corresponding Gibson model, thinking maybe the "Classic" model just doesn't cut it for me, and I really like the Gibson LP Classic (tho the neck carve on both of them is too thin for my tastes). I tried the Epiphone 50's Standard from the same line, and liked it a *lot* more. Is this just a case of I didn't know what I didn't know when I bought it maybe? The worst thing is, this was my first *real* guitar I bought for myself that stuck, and as such, I have some sentimental attachment to it, but I *never* play it.

SlowhandBob

Reaction score
I’ve had several Epi Lp’s over the years and all we’re good. Haven’t kept any of them except the ‘59 IBG. While all of them were well made and played pretty well, the key seems to be the Gibson pups that come on the ‘59. I do highly recommend the Gibson Classic. It’s got a brighter sound but pluses great. Mine is a 2022 and the neck profile is in between thin and chunky…just right IMO. Good luck in your quest!

GenghisBomb

Reaction score
I’ve had several Epi Lp’s over the years and all we’re good. Haven’t kept any of them except the ‘59 IBG. While all of them were well made and played pretty well, the key seems to be the Gibson pups that come on the ‘59. I do highly recommend the Gibson Classic. It’s got a brighter sound but pluses great. Mine is a 2022 and the neck profile is in between thin and chunky…just right IMO. Good luck in your quest!
I really liked the 59, as well as the 50's Standard. I'd trade mine in, but I'm broke, and it's sentimental! I'll just keep practicing I think!

Pancreas

Reaction score
I came back to playing electric guitar in late 2019, and ended up settling on the newly released Inspired by Gibson Les Paul Classic. I loved it at the time. After getting it home, and a few guitars, I find it a little underwhelming. I have played the corresponding Gibson model, thinking maybe the "Classic" model just doesn't cut it for me, and I really like the Gibson LP Classic (tho the neck carve on both of them is too thin for my tastes). I tried the Epiphone 50's Standard from the same line, and liked it a *lot* more. Is this just a case of I didn't know what I didn't know when I bought it maybe? The worst thing is, this was my first *real* guitar I bought for myself that stuck, and as such, I have some sentimental attachment to it, but I *never* play it.
I sold my Classic, as it felt almost cheap to me. Consider the Epiphone Les Paul '59. It's a winner, no upgrades necessary!

rbraad68

Reaction score
I totally love my 2020 Classic !! One of my favorite epi LP's i own....

Latest Threads