2020 Gibson ES-335 models - NGD - Wow!

Gary

Reaction score
Anyone have experience or opinions on them? I'm saving up to get my dream guitar and it is a lot of money for a retired guy to scrape up. I'm probably going to sell several guitars to raise the cash. I want to get the real deal. Enough with Asian copies and Epiphones made overseas, with their poly finishes and lackluster electronics. Gotta be a Gibson this time.

For 2020, Gibson has several models listed but not all are available yet. Maybe they will be out by the time I have the cash in hand. Satin finish (MAP $2,599), Glosss finish (MAP $2,999) Dot (MAP $2,999), ES-345 (MAP $3,299) and a figured top (MAP $3,699).

Rumors that I've read online say that these are made in Nashvill instead of Memphis. Is one factory better than another? What are HMN pickups? Which of these has the fattest neck?

Last edited:

wmachine

Reaction score
It is not a rumor. Memphis was closed and the equipment was moved to Nashville. Gibson said the higher end ES models would be made in the Custom Shop and the rest would be made in the Gibson USA side. Those models you mention would be Gibson USA. Memphis set the bar pretty high for the Gibson USA models. It remains to be seen how they stack up. Personally, I'm glad I stocked up on Memphis made ones. So now I'm just an observer.

Gary

Reaction score
It is not a rumor. Memphis was closed and the equipment was moved to Nashville. Gibson said the higher end ES models would be made in the Custom Shop and the rest would be made in the Gibson USA side. Those models you mention would be Gibson USA. Memphis set the bar pretty high for the Gibson USA models. It remains to be seen how they stack up. Personally, I'm glad I stocked up on Memphis made ones. So now I'm just an observer.
Thanks! I didn't know that. Which plant made the better 335 guitars, Memphis or Nashville? I thought Nashville was better because they had the custom shop there.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Those models seem to have the same necks. If you want fatter you will probably have to go the Custom Shop route.

Gary

Reaction score
So 60's slim taker necks?

vonasemj

Reaction score
I’ve been eyeing these as well and can only assume they’ve been delayed to the plant being closed for over a month. I have seen a few in stock at CME and Sweetwater though.

The gloss models I’ve been looking at specify T-type pickups, which from my research are based on the t-top pickups which many consider to be great sounding pups.

As for neck shape I’ve seen the shape on these referred to as rounded c and from the examples I had seen for sale, they were around 0.85” at the 1st fret and up near 1.0” at the 12th.

I really hope the quality of these is great, especially if I look for one from Wildwood, because a cherry 335/345 is definitely missing from my collection.

Gary

Reaction score
Sold my LP Trad Pro today. I’m most of the way toward the new 335, cash wise. Talking to the Mrs., she said I should go ahead and buy the guitar and pay back our saving when I’m able. Yay! Now if only the 2020 models were available somewhere. :hmm:

Gary

Reaction score
Well, it's officially a new guitar day here. Since the 2020 ES-335 models are not quite out yet, I drove to Los Angeles to check out used models at Norm's Rare Guitars. What a great store! Lots of rare gear, good prices and eight used 335s in my price range.They ranged from $1700 to $3100 in the eight guitars that I checked out. Came real close to buying a 2013 in vintage burst for $2999. It's on their Reverb page.

While in the valley, I called Sam Ash and they said that they had a couple 335s in stock so I went to check those out. They had a 2018 Studio 335 in sunburst. It was okay. They also had ONE 2020 Satin 335 in vintage burst. After playing it, I was hooked! Light weight, super resonant and great quality. The pickups sound very sweet through the Princeton Reverb nearby. This guitar is the lightest weight of all the 335s that I played today and the only one with Kluson styled tuners. The nickle hardware looks much nicer than the chrome hardware on the other guitars that I played.

They brought out the case and the shipping carton, which I also brought home. Inside the case was an inspection card with the serial number but, there was no certificate of authenticity.

How about some picstures?

The shipping carton says it was shipped from the Nashville plant.

Nashville, not Memphis! Was my guitar #96 of the 2020 model year?

I really like the sweet colors.

The case weighs MORE than the guitar.

Inside was the inspection card, a tool set, case keys, a pretty decent leather strap and a photograph of my guitar!

How cool is this? A picture of my guitar being setup at Gibson?!

wmachine

Reaction score
Well, it's officially a new guitar day here. Since the 2020 ES-335 models are not quite out yet, I drove to Los Angeles to check out used models at Norm's Rare Guitars. What a great store! Lots of rare gear, good prices and eight used 335s in my price range.They ranged from $1700 to $3100 in the eight guitars that I checked out. Came real close to buying a 2013 in vintage burst for $2999. It's on their Reverb page.

While in the valley, I called Sam Ash and they said that they had a couple 335s in stock so I went to check those out. They had a 2018 Studio 335 in sunburst. It was okay. They also had ONE 2020 Satin 335 in vintage burst. After playing it, I was hooked! Light weight, super resonant and great quality. The pickups sound very sweet through the Princeton Reverb nearby. This guitar is the lightest weight of all the 335s that I played today and the only one with Kluson styled tuners. The nickle hardware looks much nicer than the chrome hardware on the other guitars that I played.

They brought out the case and the shipping carton, which I also brought home. Inside the case was an inspection card with the serial number but, there was no certificate of authenticity.

How about some picstures?

The shipping carton says it was shipped from the Nashville plant.

Nashville, not Memphis! Was my guitar #96 of the 2020 model year?

I really like the sweet colors.

The case weighs MORE than the guitar.

Inside was the inspection card, a tool set, case keys, a pretty decent leather strap and a photograph of my guitar!

How cool is this? A picture of my guitar being setup at Gibson?!

Nice, congrats. No COAs come with the new Nashville ES models made in the Gibson USA side. COAs only with the Custom Shop models.

Gary

Reaction score
These were the other candidates that I checked out yesterday. The sunburst for $2,995 was the clear winner here. If anyone is looking for a 335, get that one.

ManicPete

Reaction score
That was a really nice story! Congrats. Great to hear of people going out and trying guitars until they find the one they like! Warms the heart on a Saturday evening here in Europe. Health to enjoy!

MiniB

Reaction score
I'm deciding between a 2018 Dot Neck and 2016 Block Inlay at this very moment.

Gary

Reaction score
I'm deciding between a 2018 Dot Neck and 2016 Block Inlay at this very moment.
Definitely play them both and pick the one that speaks to you. If it’s a tie, take along someone who’s ears you trust to tell you which one they think sounds better.

MiniB

Reaction score
Definitely play them both and pick the one that speaks to you. If it’s a tie, take along someone who’s ears you trust to tell you which one they think sounds better.
I don't have that opportunity to try first, unfortunately, but both vendors have an approval/return policy. I'm pretty sure I'll know right away, especially when its comes to the neck.

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Congratulations. Very cool you were able to try a bunch. My other dream guitar is a Heritage 535, very similar to the 335. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Latest Threads