2020 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Production Changes

CHIP702

Reaction score
Just saw this on Facebook. I bought a custom back in May with the smaller diamond. Really annoyed that they changed it mid production run because I would have much preferred the larger diamond. What are your guys thoughts on this?

Attachments

• EC5A64EF-57AF-4456-82EB-17702E457B79.png
    EC5A64EF-57AF-4456-82EB-17702E457B79.png
    389.7 KB · Views: 1,046

rbraad68

Reaction score
mine was made in december of 2019 so i'm guessing i got the org run of the diamond size. honestly i can't see how much bigger they can make the diamond without it looking cartoonish...

CHIP702

Reaction score
I just revieved an SG Custom with the large inlay. So big in fact that is goes under the TRC.
OOF. Guess I'd take the small diamond over one that is too bid. Do you have any pictures of it?

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I saw this discrepancy months ago on the Epi forum. I guess that explains it. My 2019 has the small diamond.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I saw this discrepancy months ago on the Epi forum. I guess that explains it. My 2019 has the small diamond.

mine does to but honestly im good with that. im sure there will be upgrades to the up comming models next yr as well...

leifpaul

Reaction score
I like the change . it really looked off with the smaller diamond .

rfrizz

Lenured Tuser
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw this on Facebook. I bought a custom back in May with the smaller diamond. Really annoyed that they changed it mid production run because I would have much preferred the larger diamond. What are your guys thoughts on this?

I don't mean for this as snark, but how does it play? The diamond size wouldn't matter to me at all, but we have our own preferences and priorities. My big issue is the poorly-dressed fret ends.

The first thing I do when evaluating a guitar is run my thumb and middle finger up and down the edges of the fretboard to find snags. If it passes that test, I pick it up and check the neck.

CHIP702

Reaction score
I don't mean for this as snark, but how does it play? The diamond size wouldn't matter to me at all, but we have our own preferences and priorities. My big issue is the poorly-dressed fret ends.

The first thing I do when evaluating a guitar is run my thumb and middle finger up and down the edges of the fretboard to find snags. If it passes that test, I pick it up and check the neck.
I really can't complain with how it plays. I don't have any rough fret ends and i like how the neck feels. My only complaint about the guitar itself is a little bit of the white neck binding has some dark smear on it but I figured it was just the dye from the ebony fretboard.

jamhandy

Reaction score
IMHO, if you're buying an Epiphone and complaining about minutia, then maybe you just bought the wrong brand. How it plays and how it sounds are a lot more important than how it looks. But that's me...

I tend to NOT buy guitars sight unseen, sound unheard on the Internet. I also tend to not buy brand new guitars, because there is about a 30% depreciation on anything new as soon as you walk out of the store with it.

All that said, I have several Epiphones and I love them all. One in particular is a 2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional a kid had on Craigslist (with the Epi LP hard case) for $150. He had trashed it pretty bad (had even lost the PG, lost the strap buttons somehow, one of the amber top hats was busted, and one of the push-pulls was trashed, LOL) but I got her a new set of Dimarzios, new USA toggle, jack and pots and speed knobs, new wires (braided and white/black push backs) and new caps. Now I can't keep my hands off it... Yup, its got dents, bangs, boo-boo's but seems like that makes it even more enjoyable to me. With all the new guts its now got "soul"...
DSCF1331sm.jpg

reggal1

Reaction score

This guy had a good video on the new 2020 epi les paul, i like the new head stock and the ebony fret board is a first, the price seems pretty good for under $700, this guy has a few videos out there for reviews, I cant wait to buy one, I bought my EVH relic after I saw his other video

musicmaniac

Reaction score
This guy had a good video on the new 2020 epi les paul, i like the new head stock and the ebony fret board is a first, the price seems pretty good for under $700, this guy has a few videos out there for reviews, I cant wait to buy one, I bought my EVH relic after I saw his other video
That ones got the small head stock inlay I see.

wjlim22

Reaction score
I love the bigger logo. I want to get one. Do you guys think Epiphone will make big changes to the 2021 models? Not sure if I should wait or just get the current one.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I think the bigger diamond looks better on the new bigger headstocks. Even though some of them go under the truss rod cover for some reason. The smaller diamond looks better on the old smaller headstocks IMO. As for 2021, I doubt they'll have any big changes.

wjlim22

Reaction score
The large logo makes it look so so close to the real thing. I just had to get one. I already have a 2019 Pro version. I'm not sure if it will sound any different because it's the exact same pickups but at least I'm getting a different color. I always wanted an ebony or silverburst Gibson Custom but could never get myself to spend the money on it. With the ebony fretboard is also plus. I might get the 490 498 pickups to get it even closer. Has anyone here done that yet?

20061523992-detail1-small.jpg

Last edited:

cerasgrgag

Reaction score
I was wondering about this for all their 2020 range. The 3 pickup customs are already selling out and not in stock for several months, which could mean its a later run and likely to have changes that could be bad or good. Don't see why they let you find this our when you open the case though, they clearly made a conscious decision and I guess a lot would have got a refund had they announced this at the time.,

Latest Threads