2020 70’s Flying V - anyone else have one?

timichango

Reaction score
I was already going to suggest a PAF clone in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge so your Brown Noser and MIJ PAF should work well.
Would you believe that in ~30 years of playing guitar, I've never played a Super Distortion?

My main guitar from the early 90s until around 2013 was a '90 Charvel with a Jackson J90c which it came with (apparently wound by Ms. Ybarra in those days), which always filled the hot-ceramic-pickup need for me, so I never really ventured further afield. In general, I've gradually moved away from really hot pickups (the SD Custom Custom Custom in my Godin being the exception), but maybe I should spend some time with a Super D at some point.

Guess I'm gonna need another guitar!

thacZERO

Reaction score
Nice!! I have an early 2000s faded (the one with the ebony FB and moon inlays). It's fantastic but I too hated the pickups (I think they are 498/500s or something?

It's ridiculous but I threw in some USA PRS 85/15s and it sounds loads better. I'd consider putting in some Seymour Duncan JBs as I have some in an SG and love them.

Enjoy the V!

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
Would you believe that in ~30 years of playing guitar, I've never played a Super Distortion?

My main guitar from the early 90s until around 2013 was a '90 Charvel with a Jackson J90c which it came with (apparently wound by Ms. Ybarra in those days), which always filled the hot-ceramic-pickup need for me, so I never really ventured further afield. In general, I've gradually moved away from really hot pickups (the SD Custom Custom Custom in my Godin being the exception), but maybe I should spend some time with a Super D at some point.

Guess I'm gonna need another guitar!
Haha I think everyone needs 1 guitar with either a Super D or a hot PAF.

They're definitely not a one trick pony. Roll the volume off and it cleans up well. The name gives the wrong impression. They were just a hotter pickup designed to push harder the old low gain amps typically used in the mid 70s. They also go great with Vs and Explorers.

timichango

Reaction score
Quick update for anyone mildly interested: I received and installed my new Vineham Brown Noser yesterday, and couldn't put my guitar down for 5+ hours. Awesome match, awesome sound, and exactly what the guitar needed.

Up against a set of Gibson 61 r & t pickups (which I really like in a les paul clone), and a set of MHSII pickups (which I really like in my 339), it more than holds its own: loads of character, really articulate, and with just the right amount of extra snarl and push than those other sets... just right for the V. Goes from really sweet to really mean, sounds great with all kinds of dirt. Can't wait to spend loads of time playing this setup.

Reactions: BKS

Rozman62

Reaction score
I like my 61's in my classic. I don't believe they sell them aftermarket. I have a '06 in white with an ebony board. Those colored knobs need to be ditched.

timichango

Reaction score
I like my 61's in my classic. I don't believe they sell them aftermarket. I have a '06 in white with an ebony board. Those colored knobs need to be ditched.
Yeah, I got my pair of 61s 2nd-hand from a guy who swapped them out for whatever reason. I think they’re just swell :)

My tutti-fruity knobs are staying just where they are until a) I get used to the V knob layout and I stop gabbing the wrong controls, and b) I come across a nice set of Bakelite witch-hats.

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on Vineham pickups.
I have 2 sets of his pickups: “Sweet ‘59s “and “Whiskey Burners”. Great pickups.

Welcome to the melee. :welcome:

Latest Threads