2019 WILDWOOD SPEC R8 BRIDGE TONE KNOB ISSUE

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
2019 WILDWOOD SPEC R8 purchased JULY 2020: Recently noticed that turning off the bridge pickup tone knob...totally cuts the volume off...This cannot be correct. Something is out of whack. This guitar has had no after-market electronic work. The wiring harness control cavity has never been opened. The guitar is stock from WILDWOOD...and per spec..is equipped with....2 x UNPOTTED CUSTOM BUCKERS....How do I sort this out ?..... I do not even have a proper soldering iron...

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find you a good guitar tech.
Good luck!!

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find you a good guitar tech.
Good luck!!
+1
Turning down the tone will affect the volume too, but should not cut it totally off.

scovell001

Reaction score
Is it possible to take a photo of the cavity and post it on here ?

dju

Reaction score
while not the same but similar, I have a volume pot that when I roll it all the way up (10) the volume turns off. not sure what is happening but I am guessing replace the pot and all will be normal again. I haven't done it yet as I hate having to pull the metal plate and all pots out just to replace one. for now I just don't go to 10 but maybe 9.5 so I have sound.

good luck

p.s. it didn't always do it so again just guessing a pot problem of some kind.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Might try opening the cavity and spraying contact cleaner into the pot. Then crank the knob back and forth a few times. If that doesn’t work, take the guitar to a good luthier/tech. The fix shouldn’t be expensive.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Yep, I’m still here, and it is good that you are too!

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
I spoke to Wildwood and Gibson about this issue...Wildwood (Lance) essentially said..Not to worry... We'll get this sorted out....More on this later...Gibson's repair and restoration folks referred me to another department... Customer Relations (I may be mistaken on the department name). The Gibson Folks were very attentive, courteous and helpful. The GIBSON warranty policy specifies one year from date of purchase for this sort of discrepancy; having purchased the guitar July 2020, the warranty for this issue had expired. I then asked for and fortunately, GIBSON provided me with an authorized tech an hour away in DELRAY BEACH, FLORIDA.
A very close 30 minute inspection by MICHAEL, owner of The Guitar Hospital revealed that the GROUNDING WIRE AT THE TOGGLE SWITCH WHICH RUNS THROUGH THE BODY/ PICKUP CAVITY TO THE WIRING HARNESS CAVITY IS EITHER MISSING OR NOT PROPERLY CONNECTED. Jumping from the toggle switch GROUND to the wiring harness cavity immediately cured the issue and rendered the bridge pickup's volume and tone knobs thoroughly operational.
Now my guitar (R8) will go into a 14 day repair queue @ the Guitar Hospital and Michael estimated an approximate cost of $125.….WHICH I AM VERY HAPPY TO CONVENIENTLY COVER. WHAT A DEAL !! SMALL POTATOES. I am satisfied that the fix is in….After notifying Wildwood that the issue had been identified
and the fix was in and that I was completely satisfied and was happy to cover the cost...Lance sent me this email this morning:

George,

Thanks an absolute million for letting me know what the issue was, and glad this will be easily remedied.
I have refunded $125 to you from the payment made last month on the Tele to cover this. It was too long ago to do it on the Les Paul (if it was a different card).

I hope that helps!!

Let me know any questions you have, anytime... And thanks again so much for everything Sir!

Lance

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
MICHAEL @ Guitar Hospital .....235 NE 6th Ave, Delray Beach Florida ( 561) 706-6011

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's real cool of Wildwood!

I like doing business with those guys.

Have a 2014 R6 feather weight gold top from Wildwood that's just awesome.

jaqueh

Reaction score
I spoke to Wildwood and Gibson about this issue...Wildwood (Lance) essentially said..Not to worry... We'll get this sorted out....More on this later...Gibson's repair and restoration folks referred me to another department... Customer Relations (I may be mistaken on the department name). The Gibson Folks were very attentive, courteous and helpful. The GIBSON warranty policy specifies one year from date of purchase for this sort of discrepancy; having purchased the guitar July 2020, the warranty for this issue had expired. I then asked for and fortunately, GIBSON provided me with an authorized tech an hour away in DELRAY BEACH, FLORIDA.
A very close 30 minute inspection by MICHAEL, owner of The Guitar Hospital revealed that the GROUNDING WIRE AT THE TOGGLE SWITCH WHICH RUNS THROUGH THE BODY/ PICKUP CAVITY TO THE WIRING HARNESS CAVITY IS EITHER MISSING OR NOT PROPERLY CONNECTED. Jumping from the toggle switch GROUND to the wiring harness cavity immediately cured the issue and rendered the bridge pickup's volume and tone knobs thoroughly operational.
Now my guitar (R8) will go into a 14 day repair queue @ the Guitar Hospital and Michael estimated an approximate cost of $125.….WHICH I AM VERY HAPPY TO CONVENIENTLY COVER. WHAT A DEAL !! SMALL POTATOES. I am satisfied that the fix is in….After notifying Wildwood that the issue had been identified
and the fix was in and that I was completely satisfied and was happy to cover the cost...Lance sent me this email this morning:

George,

Thanks an absolute million for letting me know what the issue was, and glad this will be easily remedied.
I have refunded $125 to you from the payment made last month on the Tele to cover this. It was too long ago to do it on the Les Paul (if it was a different card).

I hope that helps!!

Let me know any questions you have, anytime... And thanks again so much for everything Sir!

Lance
crazy that gibson wouldn't cover this. i don't know how this makes gibson would look good in anybody's eyes.

JMP

Reaction score
Glad it was a pretty simple wiring issue and that you were taken care of.

jaqueh

Reaction score
maybe they do it internally, between manufacturer og dealer.

just think about the customer getting money back from the manufacturer and then the dealer. So of course the dealer is the one that needs to handle business side of it. Just too many scammers in this world to blindly trust people, when it comes to money.
I see what you're saying, but to me this sounds like the retailer took a hit for a manufacturing defect that gibson wouldn't touch.

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
EPILOGUE: GOOD NEWS STORY: Finally got the call to pick up the guitar; took over two weeks in queue at the DELRAY shop. The ground wire (shielded) from the toggle switch to electronics cavity was missing. Totally missing. Wildwood, although not requested, stood behind their product without hesitation. I have purchased two guitars and an amp from WILDWOOD...I would not hesitate to do business with them in the future.

Latest Threads