2019 vs 2020 of LP Standard 50s or 60s

MichaelS

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested to know if there are any major differences between LP Standard 50s or 60s models released in 2019 and 2020 (beside the serial number on a headstock of course ;) ).
At first glance I see that they all share the most important characteristics (no weight relief, nice finishes, nice neck profiles), but maybe someone knows better than me because owns or earlier owned one of these models (for example Standard 50s from 2019 and then Standard 50s from 2020 or Standard 60s from 2019 and then Standard 60s from 2020). I know Gibson likes to add few minor differences from year to year, for example my LP Classic 2018 Goldtop with p90s has no weight relief but it has 60s style slim taper and Grover tuners and for what I found the newest LP Standard 50s Goldtop with p90s also has no weight relief but it has 50s style chunky neck and vintage keystone tuners.

Any comments are welcome (this is my first post btw :))

MichaelS

Reaction score
Sorry, english is not my native, but I guess the main point is clear (difference between 2019 and 2020 models)

jskidder

Reaction score
There is no difference between the 2019 models and the current ones. And there likely won't be for quite some as Gibson has done away with model year designations.

MichaelS

Reaction score
Thanks for the coincise answer! This is what I wanted to hear and also suspected (I don't understand all the irony in the previous posts - if I wrote something unintelligible at least you could've said "go learn gramma" of sorts.

That's good news that Gibson has given up on year designations but on the other hand I wonder if the recent "corona-panick" may have caused the new 2021 to be of inferior quality? What do you think? I'm afraid that there may be deficit of qualified workers or suppliers sending lesser quality materials and 2021 LPs may be of lesser quality or produced in smaller quantities?

gball

Reaction score
Thanks for the coincise answer! This is what I wanted to hear and also suspected (I don't understand all the irony in the previous posts - if I wrote something unintelligible at least you could've said "go learn gramma" of sorts.

That's good news that Gibson has given up on year designations but on the other hand I wonder if the recent "corona-panick" may have caused the new 2021 to be of inferior quality? What do you think? I'm afraid that there may be deficit of qualified workers or suppliers sending lesser quality materials and 2021 LPs may be of lesser quality or produced in smaller quantities?

Nothing unintelligible...welcome. And as stated no difference between them, and the build quality of either is some of the best ever. So glad they have gotten away from that model year madness going on in the Hank J era.

Gitter

Reaction score
It depends on when in 2019. The original specs were much different early on before they switched things up and started shipping them out later in the year. The early spec'd 2019 Standards were weight relieved, had asymmetrical necks, no pickguards, AAA tops, cryogenically treated frets and BB Pro pickups. The 2019 Traditionals were closer in spec to the 2020 '50's Standard.They have the same pickups and a rounded neck carve but also didn't come with pickguards and had the cryogenically treated frets.

MichaelS

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, I hear only good things about the newest Gibson management.
I'm planning to buy an LP (I'm more confident towards buying the 60s model but 50s looks also nice but I don't like keystones) and I'm trying to make decision between the 2019 or 2020 model but if they're almost similar then that's much easier choice.

Actually I'm trying to find the perfect much for my Fender Tweed Deluxe clone and I think these no weight relieved LPs are the way to go (also I have a set of SD Antiquities and thinking about placing them into LP trying to achieve more vintage tone). My LP with p90s sounds glorious through this amp.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 44

MichaelS

Reaction score
Yes I know, but I have never played on the genuine one besides some 50s Tributes.
My other LP has a slim taper neck but it won't matter if the second has something completely different.
I like trying new things and my general philosophy for buying a stuff is that it has to have something unique which the rest doesn't have.

I'm very curious about the Standard 50s. The only thing I don't like about it is, it doesn't have Iced Tea or Bourbon Burst finish and it has keystones (which are easily replaceable btw).

jskidder

Reaction score

I wouldn't have any worries about quality due to covid issues. I've bought 2 Standards that were manufactured during the pandemic and both are flawless. The only real issue that caused was a backlog that led to a shortage of available guitars. But the ones they are and were making are just fine and of the same quality you'd expect otherwise.

DaveSG

Reaction score

Fear not. My new 2021 Gibson LP Standard 50s is the best Gibson I've ever owned, and I've owned Gibsons from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 2010s. If you find one you like, take the plunge!

P7230639.JPG

MP4-22

Reaction score
I wouldn't have any worries about quality due to covid issues. I've bought 2 Standards that were manufactured during the pandemic and both are flawless. The only real issue that caused was a backlog that led to a shortage of available guitars. But the ones they are and were making are just fine and of the same quality you'd expect otherwise.

Yea my slash is dated august 2020 and its the most flawless gibson i ever laid my hands on, the binding is scraped perfectly, no tooling marks on fret board, nibs are cut perfectly. Plays great. My 50s standard dated 2020 but checklist is dated 1/21 is good but maybe couple things like the scraping is a hair deep in a few areas and couple super tiny impressions where the tail piece is... Plays great and looks great tho, Probably my new #1.

I'm particular but also realistic.... I think these JC era Gibson's are pretty darn good,

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on when in 2019. The original specs were much different early on before they switched things up and started shipping them out later in the year. The early spec'd 2019 Standards were weight relieved, had asymmetrical necks, no pickguards, AAA tops, cryogenically treated frets and BB Pro pickups. The 2019 Traditionals were closer in spec to the 2020 '50's Standard.They have the same pickups and a rounded neck carve but also didn't come with pickguards and had the cryogenically treated frets.

My 2019 Standard ‘50’s Guitar Center version was made in December, so late run.
Non-weight relieved, Neck slightly smaller than my 2020 Slash but ‘50’s medium C.
Burstbucker 1 & 2 (neck/bridge, respectively). AA top I’d say. Flawless quality control.
I prefer the Slash for the nice rolled edges on the fat neck, rowdier midrange punch, AAA top etc. But they’re close.

Gitter

Reaction score
My 2019 Standard ‘50’s Guitar Center version was made in December, so late run.
Non-weight relieved, Neck slightly smaller than my 2020 Slash but ‘50’s medium C.
Burstbucker 1 & 2 (neck/bridge, respectively). AA top I’d say. Flawless quality control.
I prefer the Slash for the nice rolled edges on the fat neck, rowdier midrange punch, AAA top etc. But they’re close.
Yes, sir. The later '19 Standards are killer guitars and spec'd just like the 2020. People should be aware that many, if not most of the 2019's were completely different guitars though.

jskidder

Reaction score
Yes, sir. The later '19 Standards are killer guitars and spec'd just like the 2020. People should be aware that many, if not most of the 2019's were completely different guitars though.

I wouldn't say "most." The "old" 2019 models were only produced from September 2018 through March 2019. And there are many dead giveaways as to which is which: serial number format, model year stamp on the back of the headstock, finishes, hardware & plastics, model names, etc. It would be almost impossible to confuse them with even a rudimentary knowledge of the 50's/50's Original Collection models.

Gitter

Reaction score
I wouldn't say "most." The "old" 2019 models were only produced from September 2018 through March 2019. And there are many dead giveaways as to which is which: serial number format, model year stamp on the back of the headstock, finishes, hardware & plastics, model names, etc. It would be almost impossible to confuse them with even a rudimentary knowledge of the 50's/50's Original Collection models.
And I wouldn't make a blanket statement like... "There is no difference between the 2019 models and the current ones ". The new versions didn't start to hit most of the big stores until the end of May and they still continued to sell the previous versions at the same time. They didn't disappear. Many smaller shops didn't even get the updated models until after the summer.

PauloQS

Reaction score
No difference between 2019 and 2020. The only update they made was they added the felt to the nut of the pickguard on the 100th day of the year. Meaning, if serial’s first five digits was 11009 or higher, than it was shipped with the felt.

Latest Threads