2019-up Standard 60s bridge issue.. UPDATE

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I noticed after having my LP a while that I would get something that sounded like fret buzz on a couple of strings. It wasn’t the action or the nut slot depth. .. the B and high E. After some trouble shooting it looks like the string is buzzing against the saddle adjustment screws on the bridge. Swapping the bridge with a Nashville still would remedy that I think but I don’t know if that’s even interchangeable.

looks like the bridge is tilted ever slightly toward the tailpiece.. just enough for the break angle to cause the interference..

ideas on how to fix this annoyance?

I really like the graph tech bridge with graphite saddles.. those interchange with Nashville bridges which may or may not swap in my case.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya, I don't like the design and will be installing a TonePros next string change if I have time for a full setup/intonation.

The original ABR lacked the locking wire, the wire was added because the saddles would fall out.
The Nashville fixed the problem and eliminated the band-aid wire.

Now they're back to the original design. Tuning down to pitch, or adjusting the intonation to move the saddle forward, can cause the front of the screw to lift, causing the string to "sitar" on the saddle.
Flipping the bridge around so the screws are on the back would likely make it worse, because you'd be tuning up to tension, pulling the screws upward.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
In my case it wasn't the string hitting the screw, it was the screw lifting from the slot, screwing up the break angle from the string out of the saddle.
The buzz may have been from the string, or the screw... don't know. I detuned, pushed the screw/saddle back down, and tuned back up and it's been fine since, but the intonation is still a hair off... I'll fix it with the new bridge.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Or just lift your tailpiece and you’ll be fine. :)

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Raising the bar won’t fix interference on the pickup side of the bridge.. which is what I’m having

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Raising the bar won’t fix interference on the pickup side of the bridge.. which is what I’m having
Ok so detune that string and then push that screw down.
I had to push mine down after adjusting the intonation, pretty annoying.
That’s why I prefer the Nashville ones, but I still like my different guitars. :)

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Ok so detune that string and then push that screw down.
I had to push mine down after adjusting the intonation, pretty annoying.
That’s why I prefer the Nashville ones, but I still like my different guitars. :)
Yep already tried that... no dice

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is the bridge visibly rocked back, lifting the edge near the pickups?
That doesn't seem right, and would indicate that the studs are not installed properly. The top surface of the bridge should be level with the body. A true ABR with the studs threaded into the body may do this due to bent studs or hogged out holes in the body, but the Original Series is functionally the same as a Nashville... the bridge fitment on the post is tight and there *should* be no slop in the studs.

dro

Reaction score
Try pushing down on the saddle to seat the screw in the slot. This has been an issue for me with ABR's in the past. Kind of a pain in the butt. But if you know it's there it's not an issue.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
The threaded inserts in the body arent 100% level.. they’re really close but not 100%. I’m sure this is the cause of it all. I don’t know if that can remedied. Had it still used the Nashville style bridge.. that tiny bit would cause any issue.

dro

Reaction score
You can get a tool from stew mac that will let you bend the stud to where you need it. Remember it's wood and metal.

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Well the studs aren’t bent.. the threaded inserts in the body aren’t 100% level

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
You can get a tool from stew mac that will let you bend the stud to where you need it. Remember it's wood and metal.
The Original Series is not a true ABR-1

LP_Bridge.jpg

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Maybe I can try to tap the front side of them down some more which would make them more level.. may try that before changin parts.. it wouldn’t take much..

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Maybe I can try to tap the front side of them down some more which would make them more level.. may try that before changin parts.. it wouldn’t take much..
Before you do that! Take a photo of what you’re looking at before you cause any damage!

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Is it lifted like that all the way around or just one side?
I have to get ready for work so if I don’t reply that’s why. Hopefully someone can help you in the mean time.
If you do hammer it, be gentle. :)

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh wow... That's definitely not right. That bushing should be flush to the body without that gap in the front.
Is it like that on both ends? If this is new, I'd be returning it.

Taller saddles (or saddles not slotted so deeply) would definitely help that.
Likewise, lower profile screws.

But that's not right from the factory... unless the bridge was knocked rearward at some point before you got it and lifted the front.
I agree with trying... gently... to tap it down. Remove the bridge and studs and put a small piece of wood on the top of the bushing to protect the finish.

Latest Threads