2019 Traditional Tobacco Sunburst w/ Black Back?

Reaction score
Okay - if you've read a couple of my other threads, I'm on the hunt for a good Les Paul for me. I've got a few on the way from Guitar Center, so I can make up my mind and pick the best one that suits me. I've got a 2011 Standard, a 2016 Traditional, and now a 2019 Traditional.

The 2019 Traditional is in Tobacco Sunburst, however I noticed that while looking at Gibson Legacy, these had a light back. This one I just ordered has a black back. I find it highly unlikely that the previous owner would have refinished a 2019 model, but was curious if anyone had ever seen a 2019 Traditional Tobacco Sunburst with a black back? Gibson Legacy and the 'gibsontraditional.com' don't list a model that would match this - but I spoke to Guitar Center on the phone, and they verified it was a 2019. Thoughts?

IBhH06ch.png

llZUKt5h.png

jskidder

Reaction score
That's absolutely not a 2019 model in those photos. For one thing, the 2019 was not a rim burst finish, and as you mentioned it would have had a light back. The 2019 was also only made for a couple of months until they changed over to the new lineup where the Traditional basically became the '50s Standard.

If I had to guess, either the photos are wrong and the guitar you will actually receive is the 2019 with a teardrop burst and light back, or that's a 2018 model with a 2019 serial number.

Reaction score
That's absolutely not a 2019 model in those photos. For one thing, the 2019 was not a rim burst finish, and as you mentioned it would have had a light back. The 2019 was also only made for a couple of months until they changed over to the new lineup where the Traditional basically became the '50s Standard.

If I had to guess, either the photos are wrong and the guitar you will actually receive is the 2019 with a teardrop burst and light back, or that's a 2018 model with a 2019 serial number.

I felt it was this one.... He said the serial # is a 2019 and there is the documents inside the case from Gibson that states it was made in 2019. I guess we'll see when it arrives.

I felt it was this 2018 Tobacco Burst Perimeter.

BDW60

Reaction score
Okay - if you've read a couple of my other threads, I'm on the hunt for a good Les Paul for me. I've got a few on the way from Guitar Center, so I can make up my mind and pick the best one that suits me. I've got a 2011 Standard, a 2016 Traditional, and now a 2019 Traditional.

The 2019 Traditional is in Tobacco Sunburst, however I noticed that while looking at Gibson Legacy, these had a light back. This one I just ordered has a black back. I find it highly unlikely that the previous owner would have refinished a 2019 model, but was curious if anyone had ever seen a 2019 Traditional Tobacco Sunburst with a black back? Gibson Legacy and the 'gibsontraditional.com' don't list a model that would match this - but I spoke to Guitar Center on the phone, and they verified it was a 2019. Thoughts?

IBhH06ch.png

llZUKt5h.png

Looks more like desert burst from earlier years to me ... they had the rim burst and black back.

MP4-22

Reaction score
I felt it was this one.... He said the serial # is a 2019 and there is the documents inside the case from Gibson that states it was made in 2019. I guess we'll see when it arrives.

I felt it was this 2018 Tobacco Burst Perimeter.

It's not a black back, its a "dark" back.... pretty cool.

Latest Threads