2019 R9 Soft lacquer peeling off

Nomex

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have R9 60th Anniversary VOS and few days ago I noticed that lacquer on the binging at the bottom of guitar is peeling off. Is it something I should worry about? It also seems, that this crack is spreading further. Also whats weird, I canot find other side of that crack, to me it seems that it is some kind of top layer peeling, which is sitting on the top of the guitar

Also it is strange that lacquer on this guitar feels very soft. If I push little bit on it with my nail, it feels like rubber. I have other R9 (2013) and if I do the same to this guitar, lacquer feels very hard - plastic like.

Any thoughts what that might be?

Thank you.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Gibson may warranty that since the guitar is still new, otherwise live with it (wouldn't bother me) or good reason for a Historic Makeover.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Poor adherence, maybe some grease or oils on edge

Get micro mesh and smooth it out, or leave it and forget it, or get a refinish

none2low

Reaction score
I have a 2019 pelham blue les paul special (GC exclusive model) that did the same thing around the edges.

I carefully wet sanded and polished it back out. But it was unusual because it almost appeared like it had been oversprayed after the final finish/polish had been done.

In certain sections I could actually rub it off back to level with just my finger. I got a great deal on the guitar so it didn't really concern me much, but on a CS guitar I'd be a bit annoyed.

HarryAndAGuitar

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about that, it'll wear away with time anyways and look 'smoother', if you play the guitar much, you'll get a lot more dings in the finish than that anyways ;)

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Unless you just got the guitar I don't think Gibson will do much for you. I'd live with it but that's up to you.

mjross

Reaction score
This probably won’t help and I’d understand but you have started the Relic process. People, including me lately, pay big money for this type of thing.

sonar1

Reaction score
My 2020 R8 is doing that too.

New sneakers don’t stay new forever.

Latest Threads