2019 R9 and different types of rosewood

Great R8

Reaction score
On most LPs and other guitars I've seen the rosewood generaly looks the same, I've a 2006 R8 (Madagascar RW) , had a 96 LP Standard, a cheap bass and an entry level classical guitar I own has that typical rosewood look. Even though my R8 is Madagascar RW it still looks like the typical rosewood I see most of the time so I'm using that as my picture reference. Then there's my 2019 R9, looks very different, does anyone know what type of rosewood this is or what gives it that tight, dark texture? Very different as per pics. Another 2019 R9 I saw was similar as well, except that had a slight greenish colour to it, but still, a tight dark grain texture.

2006 R8:
E3l6csE.jpg

2019 R9:
ehrCa3c.jpg

R8:
iGc5IdI.jpg

R9:
z09owSD.jpg

uncle mud

Reaction score
Most likely Indian rosewood. Most folks would prefer the dark, dense rosewood I think, I do. The Indian rosewood comes in different shades. Maybe they pick the darker and denser rosewood for the historic reissues?

Great R8

Reaction score
That Madagascar is stunning! Looks like and similar to Brazilian, will darken over time just like vintage.

:applause:

I oiled the shit out of it, PRS rosewood oil. The board itself has flaws in it though, the area underneath the nut is chipped, I've seen this on other members posts here. Though that's a separate topic.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also like the darker boards for mine. But gotta say love the board on that 2008, its what i associate visually as rosewood. I had a 2003 '56 with a similar looking board.

Clint

Reaction score
does anyone know what type of rosewood this is or what gives it that tight, dark texture
Looks like a nice piece of Bolovian RW but you'd need to confirm with Gibson. I had one. Bolivian is generally denser that IRW.

moreles

Reaction score
Great OP. It's impossible to know what you're going to get with "rosewood" now. I can't keep track of the species, and the variety within each type is great. Personally, I really hate the purplish version of EIRW, but there's plenty of EIRW that looks nice to me. But in addition to the type of RW, the nature andquality varies from terribly swirly, uneven grain to to goot, straight stuff, and then the factory treatments range from terribly rough-surfaced stuff to really finely sanded and prepped. I believe that this is simply a rewsult of mass production methods and the elimination of human involvement (and cost) wherever possible. Let's just run tons of indifferent raw materials through speedy mechanized parts-shaping processes, and then glue it up, kids. This is where Eastman is catching up on the older makers, though I hear that they may be mechanizing their handwork operations like everyone else.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I know the darker boards are more vintage correct, but I LOVE that 2006 MRW board :thumb:

danzego

Reaction score
Many reissues for export out of the US got what Gibson called Bolivian rosewood. More commonly referred to as Pau Ferro.

It wasn’t just export. Many of the models had two SKUs in the US (one for actual Rosewood, one for Pau Ferro- also marketed as “Bolivian Rosewood”) in addition to the VOS and Gloss SKUs.

I tried to get a Kindred Burst that year and couldn’t track down a VOS with Rosewood. I had to get a Gloss finish one to get Rosewood (which I ended up returning because the fretboard work was a mess). All the VOS I could find was Pau Ferro.

Milsco

Reaction score
Many reissues for export out of the US got what Gibson called Bolivian rosewood. More commonly referred to as Pau Ferro.

Is it specifically spec'd as 'Bolivian Rosewood' or just listed as 'Rosewood' and you get what you get?

In the UK (as I'm sure it would be in other countries) it would be contrary to consumer rights and sale of goods legislation to sell Pau Ferro advertised as 'Rosewood'.

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Is it specifically spec'd as 'Bolivian Rosewood' or just listed as 'Rosewood' and you get what you get?

In the UK (as I'm sure it would be in other countries) it would be contrary to consumer rights and sale of goods legislation to sell Pau Ferro advertised as 'Rosewood'.

The original Gibson box label says “Bolivian Rosewood”. Pau Ferro is often advertised as Bolivian rosewood. So nothing really wrong with what Gibson was doing. The guitars with Bolivian are in the Gibson data base that way. So customer service could bring up a serial number of a guitar to check.

Latest Threads