2019 LP Special TV Yellow - goes sharp

hodoomanblues

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a 2019 Gibson LP Special TV yellow. I LOVE the sound, feel and look of the guitar. But, I've been embarrassed to gig with it because it constantly goes sharp. I've tried numerous strings and had three professional setups. I've had the original nut worked on twice (with setup). I finally had a bone nut installed which of course included a new setup. The guitar STILL goes sharp. I understand tuning variances due to weather, etc., but this is ridiculous. The bone nut was installed by my local luthier who is typically a magician as far as I'm concerned. If HE can't fix it, maybe I need to dump the thing. No use owning a guitar I can't gig with. Anyone else experienced something similar? Am I destined to get rid of it?

mdubya

Reaction score
Lube the nut.

The world class luthier who has insisted on bone nuts for guitars of mine which he has worked on still puts lube in the nuts slots when he restrings the guitar.

I like #2 pencil lead myself, but lube of choice works wonders.

hodoomanblues

Reaction score
Lube the nut.

The world class luthier who has insisted on bone nuts for guitars of mine which he has worked on still puts lube in the nuts slots when he restrings the guitar.

Thanks for the reply. I actually meant to update my post that I've already tried that as well. Both the #2 pencil and a couple of different graphite lubes in a tube. No dice unfortunately!

RocketKing

Reaction score
Hmm... Pretty weird.
I have tried changing string brand/type/gauge?

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
all the strings go sharp or just one or two?
does it happen immediately when yoiu start playing or during and after adjusting it keeps going flat?

hodoomanblues

Reaction score
All of the strings go slightly sharp but mostly the D and G strings. I have changed multiple string brands, but not gauge. I use 10s.

searswashere

Reaction score
Sounds like your neck or bridge is shifting then? Though im not sure what the solution would be. :/

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lube the nut.

i hoard my daughters pencils for this very reason…

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Try Tone Pros locking studs on the tailpiece. They will straighten out the tailpiece and eliminate any forward lean. This will lengthen all of the strings and also will allow for more rearward adjustment. I have always found that the Tone Pros studs will solve this problem.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
go nuclear, it's time for shock and awe

iimkawgbjttjvgx20g5d.jpg

SNick

Reaction score
A collapsing bridge would produce flats not sharps. Sharps would indicate something is pulling the strings tighter. The only thing I can think of is the neck bowing backwards. Which I'm sure a luthier would have caught.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truss rod might be overly tight..... as soon as the neck warms up it goes sharp. Check and see how tight it is. Maybe back the nut off a quarter turn.

If that is not the issue.... it's in the neck..... sell it. Just my opinion.

SNick

Reaction score
Possibly the intonation is off and then pressing down in between the frets causes the strings to go sharp. Otherwise tune those strings a little flat.

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
it's string binding in the nut. you tune it to pitch but the string tension between the tuning post and the nut is slightly greater than between the nut and the bridge saddle. So over time that settles and pulls your string sharp. It's worse on your D and G strings because they go thru the nut at the greatest angles, so have more lateral force pressing on the nut slot sides. A well cut and lubed nut will definitely fix it

hodoomanblues

Reaction score
it's string binding in the nut. you tune it to pitch but the string tension between the tuning post and the nut is slightly greater than between the nut and the bridge saddle. So over time that settles and pulls your string sharp. It's worse on your D and G strings because they go thru the nut at the greatest angles, so have more lateral force pressing on the nut slot sides. A well cut and lubed nut will definitely fix it
This is my thought exactly which is why I had the nut worked on and ultimately replaced. My guy has done great work over the years but maybe I need to try someone else to replace the nut one more time before I toss it into the river! I'm a pentatonic blues-wanker so to speak so I bend a lot of strings and it obviously exacerbates this problem.

Latest Threads