2019 LP Jr. Dbl Cut Which Wraparound Tailpiece?

Dougie

Reaction score
I bought a used one of the first run guitars with the jack on the pickguard and it came with a Tone Pros AVT II wraparound that has individual saddles, it's rather heavy and I though the guitar sounded a little thin so when I restrung it I put the factory Gibson lightning bolt back on with the factory studs and it got a LOT louder and the whole guitar just sings and resonates loudly when strummed, it will fill a room acoustically, which is definitely a big plus.

The factory bridge tilts and the string arch is not very good, the G is higher than the rest of the arch, who makes the good sounding aftermarket aluminum wraparound tailpiece? I would prefer a solid one with no movable saddles, and posts that fit snugly to keep it from tilting forward.

It's a $600 guitar I am not expecting it to rival a Custom Shop Junior, I just want to get the most out of it that I can.

I did take the P90 apart and put the guts of a 1950s P90 inside the case, from what little I got to play it tonite through the Marshall it is a killer. Tomorrow I can get some volume and better evaluate it overall.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Almost every stock wrap tilts.......which will be the case on your vaunted custom shop Jr. So it tends not to be an issue for playabilty and setup - unless you want to make it one.

However if the latter is where you are, i think that there are locking studs that screw down to capture the bridge.

The only issue you migbt have is that your studs are parallel, and most vintage wraps need angled studs. This might limit your bridges to the heavily intonated lightning bolt style. Even a compensated wrap might have to be so far moved backward on the bass side as to make the locking stud almost non functional.

Dougie

Reaction score
Thanks ARandall. I checked the locking studs that came with the Tonepros and they are not magnetic so they are out.

Faber makes a steel set that looks to be very innovative and functional. I have great results using their bridges and tailpieces on several other guitars. They also have a wraptail with staggered brass bars set into the top that looks interesting and probably sounds pretty good too.

I am tempted to machine off the flange on the stock Gibson studs and then make spacers to go underneath that I can tighten to the bushings in the guitar like the Faber tone loc tailpiece, wouldn't have any action adjustment so the length would have to be pretty close but it would get the tilt squared up and then I could get a more accurate view of the string arch on the stock wraptail. It might be good enough once the tilt is corrected. Since I have a metal lathe, this would be the least expensive option and it would also retain the sound of the stock wraptail which is actually quite good.

Dougie

Reaction score
Found some left over Faber spacers from a Tone Loc kit, machined the flange off the Gibson studs, put it all back together and i have now a locking wraptail with no tilt. It got even louder with this mod. G isn't intonated very well but everything else is pretty close. String height was carefully adjusted with a nylon hammer, tapping on the post made the bushing drop into the body until action height was good. Yep set the action with a hammer! o_O

Dougie

Reaction score
Now let me add a SIGNIFICANT update to this guitar, and to this thread. After researching the various choices, I came across the GraphTech ResoMax wraparound tailpiece, it looked really good and sounded too good to be true by the description on Graph Tech's page:

"The ResoMax NW1 Wraparound Bridge is made with our ResoMax lightweight, high strength alloy that will increase harmonic content and leave your guitar dripping with tone. It comes preloaded with ResoMax alloy saddles."

"Brand new from Graph Tech, the new ResoMax Wrap Harmonic Bridge System is designed to maximize harmonic content and richness in every note. Super sexy and entirely curvaceous, the bridge is completely comfortable for superior palm muting."

"This bridge also contains ResoMax alloy saddles to retain the bite of metal."

Let me say that their claim as copied verbatim above, is NOT a stretch of the imagination! I installed one on my 2019 LP Jr. Tribute Double Cut, And man, WHOA did it EVER wake this puppy up! I have been doing guitar tweaks and repairs since the mid 1970s, I have seen the brass bridges, the Leo Quan Badass, up to the modern day offerings from Faber, and Tome Pros. THIS THING is UN-BELIEVABLY hands down well above the rest of the pack!

Graph Tech uses some alloy that they won't say what it is but the first thing you notice when you take it out of the package, is the light weight. 1.9oz. compared to the 3.7oz. of the Faber adjustable wraparound, and 3.5oz. for the Tone Pros. That's a significant difference, and here is where the so-called claims by Graph Tech take on a truth that the others cannot match.

Even restringing the guitar, I noticed the first string I put on, the low E, was LOUD! And it had a BITE to it, which is also claimed in the maker's description, again they are spot on. After restringing, the whole guitar just rattles from end to end with seething sustain, it vibrates your ribs, and it is now louder acoustically than it ever was with the lightning bolt or the Tone Pros tailpiece. I was nothing short of stunned. In all my years of guitar knowledge, I have not seen such a drastic improvement for a tailpiece, ever. Harmonic content is right in your face, digging in hard and playing like Angus Young yields some amazing finger tones like a half cocked wah, the low E rings and drones like Page at Royal Albert Hall, bending high up the neck is exceptionally loud, and the multi string slurs have a gnarl and a mid honk that it never had before.

I don't work for the manufacturer, but I felt the change was SO evident, and so positive, that it needed to be shared here.

As you can see in the pics, I didn't use the Graph Tech studs but retained the Faber hardened steel spacers and the stock brass Gibson studs, and locked it down firmly to the bushings in the guitar. I am sure locking this adds to the overall effect, but neither the stock lightning bolt or the Tone Pros responded like this ResoMax does when they were locked. it is clearly living up to the manufacturers claims, WORD FOR WORD!!

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
When I got my Joe B Epiphone Firebird I, I instantly fell in love with the neck profile but was not a fan of the (granted, vintage correct) cheap feeling “lightning bolt” bridge. I knew from experience (with both older and newer PRS models) that I don’t like the adjustable wraparounds so I searched around and ended up going for an ABM one piece bridge:

Intonates perfectly for me, looks the business and fattened the tone up nicely too.