2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's - Dimazrio PAF 59

519tbarr

Reaction score
I have been waiting a very long time to finally get these pickups installed in my 2019 Les Paul Standard 60's. In all honesty I have no clue what they sound like as life has been super busy. But I finally had time to get these installed this week. I must admit #Dimarzio has done a super poor marketing job of these pickups. It took them well over a year to get a video on their website of someone using these pickups and let's say the video was subpar. I have seen the handful of videos that various users/people have posted and the pickups did intrigue me. I have always been a fan of lower output pickups. I have used Dimarzio's in the past back when I used to play Ibanez guitars and always like their response. So I plan on writing my experience of these pickups when I get a moment. The only pickups that these might compare to would be the Gibson 59 Tribute Humbuckers and yet they are significantly different using Alnico 5 magnets. I had a 2014 Traditional that had the 59 tribute humbuckers and those pickups had a real sweet spot between 8 and 1/2 to 9 on the tone knobs. Here's to hoping these sound great.

Here are some pictures, Bourbon Burst a la creme! #dimazriopaf59 #lespaulstandard60s

Attachments

Norton

Reaction score
???

There was a pretty extensive marketing campaign when those 36 anny’s Came out. Videos all over the Internet, reviews with sound clips in every magazine etc.

They’re decent pickups. If you’ve liked dimarzio’s in The past you’ll like these.

On the cheap paf side of things...the stew Mac parsons street unpotted hb’s are surprisingly far far more interesting sounding.

519tbarr

Reaction score
These are not the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickups. I am well aware of those pickups. (airbucker technology)
The Dimarzio PAF 59's came out with little fanfare and no official video from Dimarzio - launched in 2018 or so. We could speculate why? But the PAF Master pickups released in 2014 were not very well received or I should say had a lot of criticism. The pickup world is wildly different these days with all the boutique builders. My preference on that side of the equation is definitely Bare Knuckle pickups. (at least their PAF knock offs.) Dimazrio & Seymore still make great affordable replacement pickups, it's just matter of finding your voicing.

???

There was a pretty extensive marketing campaign when those 36 anny’s Came out. Videos all over the Internet, reviews with sound clips in every magazine etc.

They’re decent pickups. If you’ve liked dimarzio’s in The past you’ll like these.

On the cheap paf side of things...the stew Mac parsons street unpotted hb’s are surprisingly far far more interesting sounding.

Norton

Reaction score
My bad.

And my ignorance only proves your point. Haven’t even heard of the pickups you installed. :rofl:

I might be in the dark, but I still think it would be great to read what you find when you get a chance to hear the pickups in action.

Ace1

Reaction score
Those double cream pickups make the guitar look like a Les Paul KM model.

519tbarr

Reaction score
It's all good!
I will let everyone know what I think of the pickups.
I have had 5 minutes to play with them before noon and must say the guitar sounds wildly different from the old 61T Burstbuckers. (I need more time with the guitar to tell you how I feel about it) One thing was for certain the shrill factor of the top end of those 61T-Burstbuckers was immediately gone with the PAF 59 Dimarzio's.

My bad.

And my ignorance only proves your point. Haven’t even heard of the pickups you installed. :rofl:

I might be in the dark, but I still think it would be great to read what you find when you get a chance to hear the pickups in action.

Reactions: Jer

519tbarr

Reaction score
In a perfect world I would have liked chrome covers - because the LP looks classic that way to me. But creme was all Dimarzio offered at the time. They now have them in black & zebra.

Those double cream pickups make the guitar look like a Les Paul KM model.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
One thing was for certain the shrill factor of the top end of those 61T-Burstbuckers was immediately gone with the PAF 59 Dimarzio's.
Interesting. the 61 Buckers in my new Standard sound FAT. Zero shrill. I mean, these things are meaty and have great mid-range punch. Maybe it's the guitar.

I had a pair of those PAF 59s in my 2018 Traditional. While I thought that they sounded good, they didn't live up to the Tracii Guns "I won't put anything else in my guitars" hype. I was expecting a guitar changing experience.

Saiko

Reaction score
I don't know about guitar-changing, but I like the PAF 59's more than any of DiMarzio's other pickup offerings. The 36th anniversaries were nice but these new pickups are definitely a cut above. I agree that DIMarzio didn't do nearly as well with marketing them as they did with the 36th anniversary PAF. I think that might be because they essentially are just a vintage-correct version of the 36th and thus have a smaller market in comparison.

A shame about the '61 pickups though, I have a set in my '18 SG and absolutely love them! I hope you enjoy your new pickups!

JAMESAK51

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's the guitar!! Shrill is the same description that I used for my 60's standard as well!! The 61 neck pick up sounds sweet, I left that in. I tried for almost 5 months to like the 61 bridge and just couldn't get there.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's the guitar!! Shrill is the same description that I used for my 60's standard as well!! The 61 neck pick up sounds sweet, I left that in. I tried for almost 5 months to like the 61 bridge and just couldn't get there.
I had a similar experience with my first 60s, but the two since then (that are heavier), sound awesome with the 61s. No desire to swap them out. As mentioned, my newest one just sounds FAT.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
These DM59s have intrigued me for a long time. Have you ever played BKP Mules? If so, how do the DM59s compare? Thx.

519tbarr

Reaction score
Cool, I am glad to know I am not the only one who felt this way about the 61 burstbucker T pickup.
The neck was not generally an issue for me.

I've only had a total of 40 minutes to play the new Dimarzio PAF 59's and I am not sure how I feel about them so far.
I play a little Marshall Silver Jubilee combo & I have a DSL 40 CR combo - but plugging the guitar through my Helix in the same patches I have used for ages is like a whole other stratosphere. Either I need to play around with my settings on Helix or these pickups may not work for me.

Sound is so elusive!

integra evan

Reaction score
They look sweet in that guitar. I've really been digging that look lately. I keep looking out for a nice set of double creams at a nice price, but everytime I see them for sale, they are already sold....they go quick lol

moreles

Reaction score
I hope they please you. I haven't played them, but I have had only good experiences with Dimarzios, gouing way, way back to the original Super Distortions. I think their designs hit the mark (that is, fit their descriptions) and perform well while offering great value for money. They do what they say. Similarly, I like a lot of Seymour Duncan's production as well. If you research befor you buy and choose what is most appropriate for you -- not what's on the rack in the store --I think these are as good as anything, period. Sure, a number of boutique pickups have very distinctive voiceprints. If they have what you want, great; but different is not necessarily better. Good luck with the Dimarzios.

Jer

Reaction score
Holy shitite your guitar looks sweet! I am so impressed with the new colours, especially the Bourbon burst. Looks killer with the double creams man! Well done.

519tbarr

Reaction score
I have had some time to play these new pickups now.
At first I thought I was not going to be able to get used to them. They were just so wildly different from the Burstbucker 61's.
Then I took the guitar to a rehearsal and played it through my Silver Jubilee 20w amp - and wow - the control on the dials.
Bottom end definitely tightens up (not loose boomy and floopy) And the top end shrill is gone. In some ways these sound more like a super fat single coil - but yet humbuckery sound... I do promise I will upload a sound clip at some point of the guitar.
Gotta say this guitar mixes really well with my 2017 58 reissue LP.
The only thing I dislike is the pole spacing. I just sent a picture of the pickup (lead pickup) to dimarzio as the spacing is significantly off - will see if I get a response from them.

AJK1

Reaction score
Interesting. the 61 Buckers in my new Standard sound FAT. Zero shrill. I mean, these things are meaty and have great mid-range punch. Maybe it's the guitar.

I had a pair of those PAF 59s in my 2018 Traditional. While I thought that they sounded good, they didn't live up to the Tracii Guns "I won't put anything else in my guitars" hype. I was expecting a guitar changing experience.
Yeah me too, I had a set of PAF 59 in one of my LP and they were underwhelming to say the least
I have Seth Lovers in it now and they are much better

AJK1

Reaction score
I have had some time to play these new pickups now.
At first I thought I was not going to be able to get used to them. They were just so wildly different from the Burstbucker 61's.
Then I took the guitar to a rehearsal and played it through my Silver Jubilee 20w amp - and wow - the control on the dials.
Bottom end definitely tightens up (not loose boomy and floopy) And the top end shrill is gone. In some ways these sound more like a super fat single coil - but yet humbuckery sound... I do promise I will upload a sound clip at some point of the guitar.
Gotta say this guitar mixes really well with my 2017 58 reissue LP.
The only thing I dislike is the pole spacing. I just sent a picture of the pickup (lead pickup) to dimarzio as the spacing is significantly off - will see if I get a response from them.
There’s nothing wrong with the pickups
They are copies of Vintage PAFS so they have 49.2mm wide spacing

519tbarr

Reaction score
I received an email direct from Dimarzio.
They were aware of the spacing issue. It would be ideal if somewhere on their website they explained that this will not work for modern USA LP's or non vintage issue spacing abr bridges.

There’s nothing wrong with the pickups
They are copies of Vintage PAFS so they have 49.2mm wide spacing

Latest Threads