2019 Gibson Custom Shop 1964 SG Standard Reissue Thread

indeedido

Reaction score
So what is the neck size? Still 60s small or more in the camp of say a '59 LP?

C-Man

Reaction score
Love it! Bridge sounds very vintage and bitey to me. Sounds great with the nylon saddles too.
So what is the neck size? Still 60s small or more in the camp of say a '59 LP?
I agree about the tone, I was able to hold another one of these at a local shop and they are pretty good and consistent so far. I had to cancel an order additionally, but I am as of yesterday back on the SG train! The Custom Buckers are hit or miss to me whether unpotted or potted. I also admire that the gentlemen playing played "Little Girl" which makes the guitar sound more particularly vintage.

These are supposed to be a little beefier than the regular slim taper necks. They feel closer to the '59 Reissues but not quite as large. If you own a good '63 Big Block Reissue 335, the necks on these from my experiences feel just a bit larger than those.

Last edited:

oasis02

Reaction score
I was able to get one of these today. I've had some extremely good CS SGs in the past, and this is another.

It really nails the Vintage tone in-spades, and as people are indicating, the neck is really comfortable.

The unspotted pickups do not squeal unless I apply a fuzz, so I'm happy there also.

Playing through the Marshall SV20H and SC20H heads/cabs.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Finally got mine.

Bucketlist item. TV Yellow, Maestro, fat neck, 7 lbs, where have you been all my life?

0.89" at the first fret, 1.0" at the 12th. C shape with soft shoulders. R9 neck on an SG. Gibson Custom should have offered SGs with this neck ages ago.

It's Wildwood spec, so it has the underwound Custombuckers and unpotted. Sounds and feels really good. I'm totally going back on anything negative I stated about Wildwood in the past. A very fair deal and top notch customer service from Steve S. He was just on it with emails any time I asked for an update. My next guitar will be from Wildwood.

If anyone is thinking or ordering a M2M from Gibson, it took six months, but that could have been due to internal restructuring with Memphis shutting down.

With the gang.
2007 Standard, 2008 & 2017 historics.

Last edited:

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
From my experience, SG '61 Reissues feel like playing a slide ruler. It has the most Slim Taper neck that I have ever encountered and feels flat on the backside. Personally I find it annoying to play. The neck on the 1963 SG Special that I had was thicker and rounded.

With the SG, most of the ones with small guard have Slim Taper necks and the ones with batwings have thicker rounded necks from my experience.

SG Classics have my favorite neck profile which are more like a rounded '59 LP profile. I prefer a thicker rounded neck, but not quite as obnoxious as the 1970 SG Junior that I had in the past pictured below.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Well, after 8 months of patiently waiting the 1st of the two SG I ordered are here!

1964 Standard...I am absolutely thrilled with it in every way!

No word yet on #2 a White 1963 SG Custom...maybe soon!