2019 Custom Shop Reissue Changes Sneak Peek!

honkytone

Reaction score
Generally I think for some reason bursts have tended to fade a little more at the butt end, but these recent fade bursts look unnatural and just ridiculous. As if they're trying to save on paint. I've been looking hard for a 2018 that I really like and have passed on many otherwise great ones for this very reason.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
So much for nitpicking where the Mahogany is grown. Check out the incredible tone of this axe made of pencils. I’m not joking, this thing is amazing.

That really does sound great. I wonder what pickups and amp he's using.

Geronimo

Reaction score
who f%$#ing cares!? That logo and silk screen are gonna change my tone man. Cant wait. This has gotten ridiculously out of hand. There is absolutely no changes from what I have now that could make me spend the money they are asking. I bought my 52 for LESS than a lot of the braz ones. Even the braz didn't make me bite. I think its mostly myth. They just aren't built the same way with the same wood age and type. That will never change. Get a good used one from 13-14 for a fraction of new and rock the shit out of it. OK I am done now
That’s exactly what I did and am very happy.

matkoehler

Reaction score
Hi friends — saw this thread blowing up and thought I’d chime in. That post was only a sneak peek — as in, just one small hint of what’s to come. Wait til NAMM week — you’re gonna like what you see. There will be a sunburst for everyone and there are many more tweaks including all new vintage-spec electronics...consider that sneak peek part two! :)

Frozen Rat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear this. On another forum they were talking about Gibson's new website where nary a Historic is to be spotted amongst the tall grass and trees. Guess they're off in the wings, waiting to fly in at the right moment (I know, horrible metaphor).

Pappy58

Reaction score
Hi friends — saw this thread blowing up and thought I’d chime in. That post was only a sneak peek — as in, just one small hint of what’s to come. Wait til NAMM week — you’re gonna like what you see. There will be a sunburst for everyone and there are many more tweaks including all new vintage-spec electronics...consider that sneak peek part two! :)
So you joined two days ago and have made one post...just to provide this "Inside information" :squint:
Sounds like same old Henry BS to me. :sadwave:

Vintage spec electronics? Want to elaborate? :hmm:

jwehrman

Reaction score
Electronics? Does this mean they dug up some old magnets from 60 years ago and are putting together PAFs? Please don't hurt me :rofl::run:

Gold Tone

Reaction score
CTS or Centralab type original taper pots?

Can’t think of what else it could be

Caps are done (we’ll never get PIO)
Pups are probably done with the Custombuckers

DanD

Reaction score
Gibsons' site has dropped all the previous years models. I'm hopeful they'll bring that info back as it was a great reference for specs.

Currently the site is about f'n useless. The only models listed are '19s and Historics are completely absent.

:wtf:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Gibsons' site has dropped all the previous years models. I'm hopeful they'll bring that info back as it was a great reference for specs.

Currently the site is about f'n useless. The only models listed are '19s and Historics are completely absent.

:wtf:
I inspected the source tree, and the site to me looks closed, at least its main structure.

To me looks that the Custom Shop section is now showing only regular production models (the black custom family of guitars). Everything else, assumption/speculation, could be just worked outside the official website (through dealers and M2M).

And yes, legacy products are GONE.

Pappy58

Reaction score
Mat is the real deal. I follow him on Instagram. Great content: https://www.instagram.com/matkoehler/
Ok, welcome to Mat! :wave: An intro would have been nice tho.....else you get assumed to be a troll. :shock: ..but my opinion on the info hasn't changed, without some kind of details, the electronic changes are nebulous. ... and "sunburst for everyone"?...... :applause: Curiosity is killing me now! :dunno:

GearHo

Reaction score
Based on that goldtop I just saw, you better sneak up real quiet like or you will scare everyone away.

9k for snatch, that's a lot of scratch for snatch

Last edited:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
well i hope this is not what we should expect the "new" Custom Shop to deliver at NAMM
gibson-custom-1956-les-paul-goldtop-2018.png

Aged 1956 GT Historic.

especially if it supposed to look like this
LKmVV6s.jpg

GearHo

Reaction score
Someone in the custom shop took a look at these two guitars, and said, perfect, ship it.

Who did that Matt, give us a sneak peek on who's idea this was.

Here is a tip, we all like the real goldtop.