2019 Custom Shop Reissue Changes Sneak Peek!

jwehrman

Reaction score
I'm willing to wager the top carve will be deeper, or replicated off a famous burst. Perhaps the logo placement is a sign they might be trying to emulate some of the stuff (also arguably the Braz wood) that Historic Makeovers is doing the custom shop hasn't done yet. Might be silly conjecture, but we shall soon see.

markguitar

MLP Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm willing to wager the top carve will be deeper, or replicated off a famous burst. Perhaps the logo placement is a sign they might be trying to emulate some of the stuff (also arguably the Braz wood) that Historic Makeovers is doing the custom shop hasn't done yet. Might be silly conjecture, but we shall soon see.
Top carve was already changed for 2018 and is plenty deep. Both the top and neck carves were scanned from original burst, Carmelita. This was confirmed in a conversation I had with Tom Murphy.

jwehrman

Reaction score
Top carve was already changed for 2018 and is plenty deep. Both the top and neck carves were scanned from original burst, Carmelita. This was confirmed in a conversation I had with Tom Murphy.
Sorry I wrote this at 4 am :rofl::run:

Frogfur

Reaction score
The aged or antiquated Gibson logo looks out of place on a brand new guitar. That's that they look like after 25 or 30 years. SNAFU.

matte

Reaction score
Not exactly the improvements that I would be hoping for. How about Honduras mahogany..... with Brazilian rosewood. Proper formula Nitro finish. I could make a longer list but those are some big ones.
honduras mahogany only makes up like 80% of the guitar. isn’t a killer top more important?

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
honduras mahogany only makes up like 80% of the guitar. isn’t a killer top more important?
More like 0% is Honduras mahogany....:D

The mahogany used on Historics today I believe is the Figi variety... which is fine but not true to the original.

Maple is sourced in the USA.... not as troublesome to obtain.... as of yet.

And of course Rosewood has become truly difficult to select and obtain.... at least that is what Gibson wants you to believe.

Personally though..... I really can’t complain..... the Historics I own are fantastic..... wouldn’t sell them off even if they made the Historic with all the correct materials and components....I might buy one,.. but I wouldn’t give up what I already have. :D

matte

Reaction score

The mahogany used on Historics today I believe is the Figi variety... which is fine but not true to the original.

And of course Rosewood has become truly difficult to select and obtain.... at least that is what Gibson wants you to believe.

Personally though..... I really can’t complain..... the Historics I own are fantastic..... wouldn’t sell them off even if they made the Historic with all the correct materials and components....I might buy one,.. but I wouldn’t give up what I already have. :D
perfectly serviceable instruments. just not as close to the ogs as some boutique builders get.

Chris2121

Reaction score
So looks like they're sticking with the faded bursts this year then. I could go either way on that....some look really good, and others just look odd and unrealistically aged. The lower bout having little to no burst color at all, while the upper bout is dark and deeply shaded just seems odd if it's not blended/faded just right.

The example above, and my own (see avatar) are pretty nice though...

ASG

Reaction score
I guess Gibson refuse to get it historically accurate each year even in the age of 3D scanners because then they couldn't claim that this years run is the most hysterically accurate yet? :doh: :jam: :wtf:

matte

Reaction score
I guess Gibson refuse to get it historically accurate each year even in the age of 3D scanners because then they couldn't claim that this years run is the most hysterically accurate yet? :doh: :jam: :wtf:
or they’ll get the dimensions right and use the wrong materials.

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get into the faded tops, especially the darker ones. The one above is okay, but is hit and miss. Gibson should just bring back the sprays of 2014 or maybe the TH’s.

MikeyV

Reaction score

Let's be clear about this.

The species used is Swetenia macroplylla.

Other names for this wood are: Mahogany, Genuine Mahogany, Honduran Mahogany.

Gibson uses Swetenia Macrophylla that is farmed in Fiji or some place out in the Pacific.

You can actually invest in this stuff, basically you pay to plant a sapling at a farm, and some fee yearly to cover watering, pruning, etc. Then after (I think) 15 or 25 years, it's cut down and made into lumber and you get a large cut. Kinda cool.

Yea, this wood is different. Grown quickly in open/uncanopied land, as opposed to slow growth in a rainforest. Soil, air, water different between the locations.

I have a bunch of Mahogany guitar sets, they really do vary. I'm sure some are plantation grown and some are cut from old tables, or beams, etc.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
View attachment 350681

In case anyone hasn't seen it, Gibson Custom posted a pic of what appears to be a '19 reissue on their FB, Twitter, and Instagram.
What is the deal with these weird half bursts? I've never seen a guitar like that before Gibson started doing it. Is it supposed to replicate some weird ass aging where it was left with the end hanging out of the case for 20 years?

uncajoey

Reaction score
Man, that thicker ink alone is worth at least 1k$. $5k if it comes with a COA certifying Murphy applied it.