2019 Custom Shop Reissue Changes Sneak Peek!

swampblues

Reaction score
I always loved hearing the story of Ren Wall talking about neck sizes and script placement on 50's LP's. Story says elderly ladies who worked for Gibson in the 50's never, ever measured where the script went and no one sanding necks ever used to measure each LP neck to make sure they were identical so in his words "How the Hell can you make a guitar identical that was never identical LOL

Last edited:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
It should be a new Les Paul inlay instead of silk screen on guitars of their price point.

UEF

Reaction score
I always loved hearing the story of Ren Wall talking about neck sizes and script placement on 50's LP's. Story says elderly ladies who worked for Gibson in the 50's never, ever measured where the script went and no one sanding necks ever used to measure each LP neck to make sure they were identical so in his works "How the Hell can you make a guitar identical that was never identical LOL
Indeed - but of the ones I've seen there seemed to be a general effort to get the silkscreen 'in the middle', as if a line were drawn upwards from the top of the truss rod cover. Whereas Historics seem to have it slightly to the right.

BSeneca

Reaction score
Gibson went back to aniline dyes for the rear of the guitar in '13. When are they going to use aniline for the tops again?

I'd personally like to have a Reissue that fades like the originals And has nitro that is both thin and conducive to checking.
I get what you are saying, but I think that could backfire bigtime. If your guitar fades to an unpleasant color they will have to address that through warranty. Not a reissue, but I bought a 85 Custom new. It was pewter, not silver burst but all pewter. Looked tits new. Through years of bars and cigarette smoke the clear coat dulled and gave it a hideous green hue. Now it wasn't something that I called Gibson on. I later traded on a Firebird, but if a customer, especially a non-playing customer more of a collector wants cherry sunburst and it fades to Ice Tea which he hates. It will be a problem I think

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
Never been that Drunk or that ..... So it's really the Mind of the person who puts a grass skirt on that might need to be concerned about ....:facepalm::wow:

The problem above is an EASY issue to solve ..CHOICE ., Order a M2M ??? Give the choice of what type finish/you want that states if it fades into a color you don't like , that's what you bought and is not under warranty for the color it fades (if does at all) Into .

I'd bet Many would buy that
... :beer:

Christian Eidsmoe

Reaction score
Amen toymaker, so much anger and drama over nothing. Les Pauls have changed every year and will continue to. I actually think that's part of the fun! BTW that "gold color" looks very similar to my 2005 Classic 1960 "reissue".

I seriously wonder - if there was an internet in the late 50's - how would it have reacted to the "spec changes" of a '56-57-58-59 and '60 LP.... probably would have roasted G for going to humbuckers in '57, and then dropping the gold paint for a natural look towards '58 - how dare they...personally I think we would have came to the same conclusion as buyers did in early '60 though....those gawd awful reflectors and that tomato soupy red finish was it - gave up on those 9# monsters and starting playing Fenders.

At least they took a step in the right direction by coming up with a suitable replacement a year later.

A few years later - a 12 year old son of polish immigrants sat in his bedroom - dreaming of and drawing the plans for robotic guitars that would one day change the way we play - and the rest as they say is history. We now sit here on the MyFirebirdX.com forums discussing his creations, never thinking of those primitive designs of over a half century ago that started it all.

gravedanger

Reaction score
I love the discourse in this thread!

One comment...if y'all think the new CEO will be focused on silk screen placement and dye composition y'all have another thing coming.

We all know logo placement is top priority when you're dealing with bankruptcy.

Carry on!

kingsxman

Reaction score
I get what you are saying, but I think that could backfire bigtime. If your guitar fades to an unpleasant color they will have to address that through warranty. Not a reissue, but I bought a 85 Custom new. It was pewter, not silver burst but all pewter. Looked tits new. Through years of bars and cigarette smoke the clear coat dulled and gave it a hideous green hue. Now it wasn't something that I called Gibson on. I later traded on a Firebird, but if a customer, especially a non-playing customer more of a collector wants cherry sunburst and it fades to Ice Tea which he hates. It will be a problem I think
THIS. In addition to this, if they went back to an original nitro formula and guitars finishes started checking...they'd have people sending them back for warranty replacements. We forget that we are the minority as far as the people that buy historic Les Pauls. The vast majority of people are people who just want a good playing and sounding Les Paul and want to be able to say they have a historic. They're not as anal about the little things like we are. They'd be pissed if their finish faded and cracked....

As has been said for a long time, we'll never see everything addressed all at once. Gibson is probably doing the right thing from a marketing 101 standpoint of rolling out a few changes each year. As long as the product doesnt get worse in quality....they will keep people coming back for upgrades. Otherwise...they would just buy one the year that they got it all right and be done. Honestly, if I was running Gibson I'd probably do the same thing. It keeps guys like us on the forums.

And yes, the 2013's and then the true historics are some of the finest instruments Gibson ever came out with. There are obviously good ones that came before that but I dont know that the consistency of "goodness" was there as much as it is after 2013.

519tbarr

Reaction score
It's not that I hate the "Custombuckers" - there is a certain part of them that sounds relatively vintage-esq. I find them slightly brittle the way they track distortion. I own 2 reissues and the similarities are there in both guitars.
Personally my favourite Gibson pickups are the Tribute 59's which are weak but my gosh they sound good when you roll the tone caps down around 9-8 & 1/2 - seems to be the sweetspot.
I think Gibson does itself a major dis-service in the lack of advertising/marketing/youtube videos and detailed descriptions on their pickup line (pickups and accessories) as a whole.
It will be interesting to see what they do with the 2019 Custom Shop lineup none the less. But pricing is going to be key - if they over price it's going to continue to erode their market share.

Not to turn this into yet another installment in the neverending pickup debate, but I am still a huge fan of Custombuckers and can't believe so many other players don't like them. I guess I've just had really good luck with mine.

Don't really care about the font change. The only time I look at the headstock, it's to make sure it's still intact.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gibson does not warranty the finish on their guitars....They never have.
This is pic of the actual warranty and this portion describes what isn’t covered. Number 10 covers the finish.
E06DB56C-3595-480D-8B47-5E391F3E89C8.jpeg

DA025B2C-5990-4E52-B8D1-2FED43E86CF9.jpeg

Last edited:

Crotch

Support MLP Veterans & Vendors
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
A whole lot of nothing, either positive or negative for me here

BDW60

Reaction score
It's a nothing-burger! Kind of silly on Gibson's part to release a head-stock image and hope people get excited by changing the placement of the Les Paul logo & colour of the Gibson inlay.
I dunno why they wouldn’t expect it. We have been getting excited over silly minutea for years.

markguitar

MLP Sponsor
Reaction score
It's a nothing-burger! Kind of silly on Gibson's part to release a head-stock image and hope people get excited by changing the placement of the Les Paul logo & colour of the Gibson inlay.
Gibson didn’t release anything. An employee posted the picture.