2019 Custom Shop Reissue Changes Sneak Peek!

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
I seriously wonder - if there was an internet in the late 50's - how would it have reacted to the "spec changes" of a '56-57-58-59 and '60 LP.... probably would have roasted G for going to humbuckers in '57, and then dropping the gold paint for a natural look towards '58 - how dare they...personally I think we would have came to the same conclusion as buyers did in early '60 though....those gawd awful reflectors and that tomato soupy red finish was it - gave up on those 9# monsters and starting playing Fenders.

At least they took a step in the right direction by coming up with a suitable replacement a year later.

A few years later - a 12 year old son of polish immigrants sat in his bedroom - dreaming of and drawing the plans for robotic guitars that would one day change the way we play - and the rest as they say is history. We now sit here on the MyFirebirdX.com forums discussing his creations, never thinking of those primitive designs of over a half century ago that started it all.
Interesting way to ask a question that by most accounts has been answered . Not by "polls" but by SALES from that time period . From what I recall ,After Gibson moved to Humbuckers ,things went South fairly quickly .... People didn't like HB's much ...and you know what happened after that , Right ?? Discontinued LP's ....
IIRC Most Liked the change to Sunburst finishes . Beauty is in the eye ...thing ... GT's were still available ,iirc .

Gibson did make spec changes over the early years , and up until it was discontinued , when customers offered the opinions as to what they wanted ..Snail mail and Telephone I'll presume ...

$$$ talks ... If buyers stop buying , I'll presume , Gibson looked at their investment into getting the LP out on the street and figured it should try and be saved . Before it was scratched from production .

P-90's .... Rule Vintage 1's anyway
If you buy only used ....New 1's need to be sold to make the used market happen

JTM45

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it would look as funky if the font wasn’t so thick, the thinner font just looks different and normal

UEF

Reaction score
Still using the 90s logo for 50s reissues?

GearHo

Reaction score
To our young Jedi who asks for patience in the rollout of these thrilling changes, we have been patiently waiting since 1999.

Expectations are as high as the price tag.

Last edited:

UEF

Reaction score
Here's a side by side comparison I did a few weeks ago. In my opinion what they've suggested is a gold coloured version of the one on the left; not a recreation of the one on the right.

Left = 2018 Historic R8. Right = real '59

moreles

Reaction score
Is that pee yellow Gibson supposed to look NOS or aged? Looks neither to me, though maybe it's the picture. Bottom line: it's ugly. The originals were inconsistent, particularly the silkscreen, so who cares? I believe the denser pigment on the new signature will add a slight degree of mass to the headstock, changing the entire tonal profile of the guitar . -- for better? for worse? Honestly, this crap is totally tedious. Why don't they do something significant? Now, I need to sell my entire collection because I have to have a guitar with the logo shifted a fraction of an inch. Maybe learn to finish better instead?

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
To our young Jedi who asks for patience in the rollout of these thrilling changes, we have been patiently waiting since 1999.

Expectations are as high as the price tag.
To the angry old man who shakes his fist.....lol. Christ man, the new CEO has been there, what, a few hours? LOL. He has nothing to do with 1999-5 hours ago. Let's give the guy 6 months. Also, guitars and guitar sales weren't the problem in Henry's time. Sure, a few failed stupid ideas (robo tuners, X's), but on the whole, some damn fine guitars that sold well.

It would be interesting to know what people expect? You think he's going to come in and lower prices to $3900 on R9's, while making them accurate to the originals? Unrealistic, and you'd fail business 101.

GearHo

Reaction score
To the angry old man who shakes his fist.....lol. Christ man, the new CEO has been there, what, a few hours? LOL. He has nothing to do with 1999-5 hours ago. Let's give the guy 6 months. Also, guitars and guitar sales weren't the problem in Henry's time. Sure, a few failed stupid ideas (robo tuners, X's), but on the whole, some damn fine guitars that sold well.

It would be interesting to know what people expect? You think he's going to come in and lower prices to $3900 on R9's, while making them accurate to the originals? Unrealistic, and you'd fail business 101.
Angry and Old maybe Jonny boy, but I did not ever shake my fist :)

I knew you would be coming Jon, but I thought it would be in the other thread, my disparaging commentary awaits you :):):)

So the CEO has only been in charge a few hours...still stepped on his dick quickly with the gems I am seeing as he kicks off his term. But I will agree, he may very well have had little or nothing to do with these recent issues other than bad timing of their release.

I am not sure what giving him six months is going to do, but I am think the discussion of his performance, compared to his predecessor, will be around for a while.

The expectations going forward is really the question to be answered.

We have been given a lot, and I mean that sincerely, by the old regime.

Improvements in most areas were addressed, albeit slowy, but sooner or later the progession moved forward, and in my view hit a peak with 2013, and 2014 being some of the best offerings in Custom Shop history. The True Historics from what I hear are certainly a step further in the right direction.

The real challenge for this new management team is how are they going to exceed the past improvements and sales of prior years.

Although I think your taunting me with the 3900 dollar R9 price, I can already find them for that you whippersnapper :)

These guitars can probably be made closer to the originals, but that has always been the case.

I have to go now, the paper boy just cut across my driveway again....

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Angry and Old maybe Jonny boy, but I did not ever shake my fist :)

I knew you would be coming Jon, but I thought it would be in the other thread, my disparaging commentary awaits you :):):)

So the CEO has only been in charge a few hours...still stepped on his dick quickly with the gems I am seeing as he kicks off his term. But I will agree, he may very well have had little or nothing to do with these recent issues other than bad timing of their release.

I am not sure what giving him six months is going to do, but I am think the discussion of his performance, compared to his predecessor, will be around for a while.

The expectations going forward is really the question to be answered.

We have been given a lot, and I mean that sincerely, by the old regime.

Improvements in most areas were addressed, albeit slowy, but sooner or later the progession moved forward, and in my view hit a peak with 2013, and 2014 being some of the best offerings in Custom Shop history. The True Historics from what I hear are certainly a step further in the right direction.

The real challenge for this new management team is how are they going to exceed the past improvements and sales of prior years.

Although I think your taunting me with the 3900 dollar R9 price, I can already find them for that you whippersnapper :)

These guitars can probably be made closer to the originals, but that has always been the case.

I have to go now, the paper boy just cut across my driveway again....
I agree on most points. His performance will be compared to his predecessor....as it should be, but if you bring in a new coach to head your team, anyone passing judgement on him after the first scrimmage is not a well informed fan.

I also agree that the 13's/14's set the bar, and were fine instruments at fair price points (street price, anyway). Perhaps go back to that drawing board, make a few aesthetic tweaks, and roll.

$3900 for a NEW R9? You are getting better deals than I can (which I understand is entirely possible) in that case. I was talking MAP.

Now go get that bastard off of your lawn!

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Screw the logo,... the originals were all over the place too,.... i'm still ain't real happy with the top carve.... a smidge deeper with a sharper edge would be nice. But... Hey... that's just me.:D

I would also add that on the originals the back edge radius was rounder.... again i could go on,.... i can only ask for baby steps from the custom shop. Push them too hard we end up with a bunch of van paint schemes...:confused:.....:squint:

Last edited:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
................sorry can't have it. The Mahogany was grown in the wrong Country. :rofl::rofl::rofl: :p :D

:cheers2:
What kind of alcohol do you need to get in a grass skirt and play patty-cake?