2019 Custom Shop Reissue Changes Sneak Peek!

BSeneca

Reaction score
who f%$#ing cares!? That logo and silk screen are gonna change my tone man. Cant wait. This has gotten ridiculously out of hand. There is absolutely no changes from what I have now that could make me spend the money they are asking. I bought my 52 for LESS than a lot of the braz ones. Even the braz didn't make me bite. I think its mostly myth. They just aren't built the same way with the same wood age and type. That will never change. Get a good used one from 13-14 for a fraction of new and rock the shit out of it. OK I am done now

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well for some strange reason my late 2018 R8 gloss is checking around the toggle switch. So maybe.....
As far as the Les Paul logo goes didn't they do exactly that in 2015 starting with the True Historics and everybody complained.
I have a 2015 TH , I still have to look at that . Mine has 0 checking to it. Never cared to much about those types of things ...
I just play the darn thing and am VERY happy with it . Haven't seen any of the 2018's (in person) since when I was in Florida Not 1 shop ever stocked any ....S. Florida went down the tubes (2010 +)for having Gibson CS LP RI's in store ... IIRC I saw 2-(3 at best) ... All were 1 year old R9 models , New and unsold offered at MAP price at SA ....SAD . The word Fugly is accurate for those .

Although I have been thinking about making trip back to the US and HOG is 1 place I would try and get to ..
But A P-90 guitar or single coil guitar is more in my sights right now..
What happened to R4's Standards ???? dropped ???

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
who f%$#ing cares!? That logo and silk screen are gonna change my tone man. Cant wait. This has gotten ridiculously out of hand. There is absolutely no changes from what I have now that could make me spend the money they are asking. I bought my 52 for LESS than a lot of the braz ones. Even the braz didn't make me bite. I think its mostly myth. They just aren't built the same way with the same wood age and type. That will never change. Get a good used one from 13-14 for a fraction of new and rock the shit out of it. OK I am done now
+1000

grayd8

Reaction score
I have a 2015 TH , I still have to look at that . Mine has 0 checking to it. Never cared to much about those types of things ...
I just play the darn thing and am VERY happy with it . Haven't seen any of the 2018's (in person) since when I was in Florida Not 1 shop ever stocked any ....S. Florida went down the tubes (2010 +)for having Gibson CS LP RI's in store ... IIRC I saw 2-(3 at best) ... All were 1 year old R9 models , New and unsold offered at MAP price at SA ....SAD . The word Fugly is accurate for those .

Although I have been thinking about making trip back to the US and HOG is 1 place I would try and get to ..
But A P-90 guitar or single coil guitar is more in my sights right now..
What happened to R4's Standards ???? dropped ???

I’m hoping Dave’s gets some non gold top R6’s next year since he is carrying Gibson’s again.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
I hope the pickups are changed for 2019.
Not to turn this into yet another installment in the neverending pickup debate, but I am still a huge fan of Custombuckers and can't believe so many other players don't like them. I guess I've just had really good luck with mine.

Don't really care about the font change. The only time I look at the headstock, it's to make sure it's still intact.

Last edited:

GearHo

Reaction score
So this is the new post Henry generation of historics?

The new management team has come up with a real winner here.

With the advantage of having not one, but two les paul forums to draw as much info as anyone could possibly want from their customer base, this is the adjustment they make, un fucking believable.

Message to mr Levi's that they brought in to steer this ship. Get a real 59 les paul, make a Reissue exactly like it, then leave it alone.

We as loyal les paul owners drink this kool aid year after year, and now a major breakthrough in logo placement and color. Thank you, may I have another.

Let's all wake up, and buy used.

Let Gibson get their shit together, and at least reinvent themselves with something other than this nonsense.

All this whining about how much Henry sucked, and how bad an employer he is, even though Gibson sold way more historics than ever before, the market is flooded with used guitars.

So what's next?

New colored plastic?
New variation of sunburst, think of your favorite
Pickups?
Let's move the tailpiece a snatch hair to the left, jeezuz that was discussed on the other forum like it was going to move mountains.

It's time to stop drinking the kook aid.

Last edited:

toymaker

Reaction score
But they used up all the "good wood" in 2014 - it is going to take another 50-75 years before the enchanted forest where they grow that stuff produces another harvest.

As evidenced by pricing and profitability - NO ONE WITH $$ IN POCKET CARES.....they are struggling to sell, just like auto makers - they have to hype the new as the best ever, otherwise we would all buy used and they would sell less. Since they cannot buy used and resell - they have to convince us new is somehow better. Turns out its not in most buyers eyes - so they are losing the marketing battle.

Some changes mattered - 2003, 2009, 2012*, 2013 come to mind as years that saw changes that buyers are concerned with in the used market - but even those changes have became less of an issue over time. I remember when a 2009 was considered better with all the changes - now ask most people the difference between a 2007 and 2009 price wise used and its nothing. 2012 once was the year to avoid - now, its just footnote in history for many and not a real factor - if you took advantage of the fire sale priced 2012s in 2013 - you can now likely resell used for what you paid - thanks to short memories and rising price of new.

Its funny how these things work - FYI its not just guitars either. I was checking out new/used tractors lately - those people are as bad if not worse about comparing years/specs - and jumping over the latest/greatest as soo much better - or claiming certain years are better than others of an identical product. Its a tool. Use it as intended and do what you need - not set around comparing notes with other middle aged men on how yours is better than anything else or supporting manufacturers PR BS lines. I know what I like - and I spend my money accordingly - if you disagree, you are free to spend your money accordingly. Hell - I've wasted money on dumber things just because I "wanted" them - but a headstock change is probably as meaningless a change you could possibly make to me.

grayd8

Reaction score
Not to turn this into yet another installment in the neverending pickup debate, but I am still a huge fan of Custombuckers and can't believe so many other players don't like them. I guess I've just had really good luck with mine.

Don't really care about the font change. The only time I look at the headstock, it's to make sure it's still intact.
I have replaced them in both my Historic's, but I still think they are the best Gibson PAF repro to date. They would probably sound better for most people with A4 mags, but its just easier to sell them off and buy something else.

DanD

Reaction score
Gibson went back to aniline dyes for the rear of the guitar in '13. When are they going to use aniline for the tops again?

I'd personally like to have a Reissue that fades like the originals And has nitro that is both thin and conducive to checking.

Reactions: Jer

toymaker

Reaction score
I seriously wonder - if there was an internet in the late 50's - how would it have reacted to the "spec changes" of a '56-57-58-59 and '60 LP.... probably would have roasted G for going to humbuckers in '57, and then dropping the gold paint for a natural look towards '58 - how dare they...personally I think we would have came to the same conclusion as buyers did in early '60 though....those gawd awful reflectors and that tomato soupy red finish was it - gave up on those 9# monsters and starting playing Fenders.

At least they took a step in the right direction by coming up with a suitable replacement a year later.

A few years later - a 12 year old son of polish immigrants sat in his bedroom - dreaming of and drawing the plans for robotic guitars that would one day change the way we play - and the rest as they say is history. We now sit here on the MyFirebirdX.com forums discussing his creations, never thinking of those primitive designs of over a half century ago that started it all.