2019 50s standard or 2013 58RI

Scotheath

Reaction score
Been looking at those new standards they call 50s and 60s up here in Canada they are 3200 bucks. Pretty steep, I’ve got a good playing 2013 standard but still think I’d like a 59 sized neck with the 60s or 59s specs they offer on the 2019 standards. Last night I came across a 2013 58RI for 4000 bucks. So for another 800 I could get that. I know neither are worth that much money but for arguments sake is the RI a better or more desirable guitar ?

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IF you have the means, I would go for the R8 simply because you will always still want one.

But I am always of the mind to spend a little extra to get exactly what I want, even if it costs more. There is almost no way you're not going to like an R8 or R9. Zero.

If you're not ready to spend $3500-4000, then I would be looking at used 5-6 or more year old standard traditionals, classics etc in the $1200-1600 range because those are going to sound better than a new one in my opinion and save a bunch of money. Get some upgraded electronics if you want to.

I actually just bought a 68 reissue that comes today, look for the NGD thread. I really want an R4 with the single wrap around bridge. Hard to find them.

madh4ttr

Reaction score
Well, IMO, I'd have to play and compare the 2. No way I could give you advice on that but, GL with whatever you decide.

DoctorGonzo

Reaction score
I liked the look of the new 50s and 60s standard from the first time I heard about them. But since I already have a Gibson USA Traditional I knew it would be worth it for me to save a little extra and get a reissue since I'd always wanted one. The new 50s Standards that I've played were amazing guitars but every reissue I've played was just a little more special. It's worth the extra money for a reissue in my opinion.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I can’t speak from experience...yet, but I’m in a similar boat. Found a nice G0/R0 historic model used at a good price and am deciding between that or a new Standard 60’s.

I made a thread recently asking which one to get, it was informative. Def check it out if you have a similar dilemma. The majority of the people said to go with the historic G0/R0 over the standard 60’s.

I compared the two side by side and though it was close, the R0/G0 was def better, not dramatically but it was a bit lighter weight, had a little bit better fit and finish, nicer flame top (the flame was more 3 dimensional), and sounded a bit better and more articulate, both played equally well.
It wasn’t a huge difference, I’d say the standard was about 90% as good as the R0 I played but there was a difference.
Whether the difference is worth the price gap is a personal decision. So def play both if you can and go with the one you like most. Regardless of specs and price, if one speaks to you, I’d go with that. You don’t want to buy one and then ending up trading it in a few years later cause it wasn’t the one you loved.

I’m still deciding. I’m gonna go back and compare the two and see which one I stick with.
I’m weird but I might actually go with the standard, not to save money, but I liked the color the standard came in a lot more, i just loved that finish and had my heart set on it for a while and didn’t find the difference in quality to be dramatic enough to take the historic over the standard. But let’s see, either way I’ll hopefully have a NGD thread soon. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Nintari

Reaction score
I have had some experience with the new Standard 50's and think it's phenomenal. If you can get a good one, screw the price--get it. You won't be disappointed.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't decide worth a shit..... i just get them all..... R6-R7-R8-R9.....i also have a 2013 Standard and a 2011 Traditional.

IMG_0038.jpg

Not shown in this group is my '11 Traditional.

IMG_1661.JPG

:rofl:
Is this NOT helping?

mjross

Reaction score
The new 50’s are pretty nice! I was pleasantly surprised with mine.

Scotheath

Reaction score
thanks for all the input, I’m gonna have to see if I can get to the city where the RI is before somebody else grabs it, I’m not gonna push my look buying unseen or played. I’ve been lucky twice before with an explorer and a Jackson but for that money def need to put hands on it. Thanks again for the input

Latest Threads