2019/2020 Les Paul Standard Fading?

greens

Reaction score
I've been fading a sonic blue strat that I painted for weeks now, but only in a window with indirect sunlight. It has noticeably faded. I'm in the northeast US so we get decent sun. But I fantasize about leaving it out in the Arizona desert for a couple of days with a cool fan on it, maybe rotating on a rotisserie . . .that would be incredible :D

Geronimo

Reaction score
I know I know, some will call me crazy, others will link me to threads, I am just curious. Has anyone with a newer (2019/2020) Standard tried fading their top with either sunlight, uv, etc?. If you are going to say "oh well modern les paul's don't fade" SAVE IT BROTHER! I have seen threads where people have had sucess with lp traditional's (2010's) and even standards from the 2010s. And yes I read that mammoth scientific thread explaining the plasticizers and all that so yes it theoretically is possible, just wondering if anyone has tried yet.
Cheers
This is sort of a modern Les Paul. It’s a ‘12 and it has faded. I had some work done on it and it revealed it has started to fade and green a little. It’s a Trad Pro. I don’t know if the new ones still use the same paint but this one has faded pretty much and it only comes out of the case for gigs and I have other guitars so it doesn’t get that much use.

Attachments

• 1CC194D7-F0F9-40B9-9E67-8A893E4C8805.jpeg
    1CC194D7-F0F9-40B9-9E67-8A893E4C8805.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2B4EBE16-7C08-4729-B2AC-09833BA9F289.jpeg
    2B4EBE16-7C08-4729-B2AC-09833BA9F289.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 29

greens

Reaction score
This is sort of a modern Les Paul. It’s a ‘12 and it has faded. I had some work done on it and it revealed it has started to fade and green a little. It’s a Trad Pro. I don’t know if the new ones still use the same paint but this one has faded pretty much and it only comes out of the case for gigs and I have other guitars so it doesn’t get that much use.
Nice, I really like how that one aged. Faded Pelham!

lwchafin

Reaction score
I figure that my LP Studio Deluxe II Honey Burst flame top is happy being the color it is - which is nothing like my avatar, which was teh stok photo for the ad - depending on the light it's in is a brilliant honey-gold flame to a medium brown subtle flame. If it fades, OK. If not, OK. It cost less new than the relicing treatment marginal cost would have been if I bought a reliced LP from the custom shop.

gball

Reaction score
What is this totally sick subculture of fake time, fake old, fake vintage, old farts anyway?
Why not just living things normally and appreciate time as it is for the fact you can't buy it?

Amen. Seems as disingenuous as "relicing" a guitar to me.

chamas

Reaction score
I have a 2005 sunburst. During spring, sunlight would come in the house and I would place it there but I didn’t see much change after a couple of months so I took it outside covering the fretboard and set it out there everyday during the summer, weather permitting, and noticed a slight change. It went from a bright red to a tomato soup so it worked somewhat. It’s not what I was looking for as I was looking for more fade. I don’t have that time anymore to babysit the guitar to fade it more but I do receive comments that it looks vintage even though it wasn’t the result I was looking for.

ErikLP

Reaction score
Some people love the way a guitar plays and sounds but not the way it looks; some people know that they'll never be able to put the mileage on a guitar to make it age the way they want naturally, so they turn to relic jobs... The point is, TO EACH THEIR OWN. Internet forums are not an excuse for people to use their opinions to bash others. You could have stated your opinion in a totally different way. Just saying.

Since this thread has been revived, I want to chime in and say EVERYTHING fades in the sun given enough time. There's a stop sign in the next town over from me that's almost completely bleached white. I'm actually surprised that they haven't replaced it by now because it looks like a blank white octagon from a distance.

Also, most modern glass windows offer some level of protection (at least from UV-B, but many are also formulated to block a lot of UV-A), so trying to fade through a window may not work well depending upon the glass in your windows. I tried the through-the-window fading method for several months one summer and didn't notice any change. Although I haven't been able to try this yet, I wonder if fading outdoors in the shade might be the best method, as it would get a lot more UV exposure than through a window, and the shade would lessen the potentially damaging effects of high heat from direct sunlight exposure (like in @2Muchgear's post). I'd love to know if anyone else has tried this. I love my cherry sunburst 2016 Traditional, it's absolutely my #1, but it's a little clown-y and I'd love it even more if it were a bit less red.
a bit of a late reply but I have put mine under the Sun for just less than 20 hours so far and there is definitely a fade already visible...mine being an honeyburst perhaps it will fade less than a cherry but its definitely more 'orange' than before which was a little too brown...I will carry on with 5h sessions and see where we get....one thing I noticed is that in my opinion the wood would shrink under the heat just like garden fences shrinks so the pickups rings look a bit squeezed if compared to before but just a tiny bit....will the wood relax and return to its normal shape once it settle to a normal temperature? that is one thing I will need to find out....

truckermde

Reaction score
Get a nice guitar, live with it, grow with it and don't look at it... PLAY IT, Let it breathe and vibrate naturally
Come on folks, get a grip!!!!
LOL

Not this crap again.

Guitars don't breathe.

darkvoice

Reaction score
I once had an Epiphone LP in blue color which was exposed to light and faded everywhere except under the pick guard and control circular stickers. I wanted to experiment and put the guitar outside for couple days (with fretboard covered). Top became more uniform and darker areas blended in nicely with the rest of the top. Overall color became lighter though, so take that into consideration.

efstop

Small amps ^^ are fun
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's hilarious that Tide61 made one post in 2019 and out of all the threads on fading and relics, it was THIS thread that woke him from his 9 1/2 year slumber to make his second post :laugh2:

ErikLP

Reaction score
On that note - how do I safely slightly & fade my 2007 Vintage Cherry-burst R8? Any advice.
I am fading my honey-burst by placing it in the garden under direct sunlight...cover the pickups with some cardboard and the fretboard and neck with a towel so that the sun doesn't impact those areas...one thing that I have noticed is that the wood is shrinking a bit but this is not affecting the sound or tuning etc... I'm up to 23 hours so far and the idea is to get to 150 hours in order to see some proper fading but I can definitely see the difference already when comparing before and now...

Latest Threads