2019/2020 Les Paul Standard Fading?

StallionDuck

Reaction score
I know I know, some will call me crazy, others will link me to threads, I am just curious. Has anyone with a newer (2019/2020) Standard tried fading their top with either sunlight, uv, etc?. If you are going to say "oh well modern les paul's don't fade" SAVE IT BROTHER! I have seen threads where people have had sucess with lp traditional's (2010's) and even standards from the 2010s. And yes I read that mammoth scientific thread explaining the plasticizers and all that so yes it theoretically is possible, just wondering if anyone has tried yet.
Cheers

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to on my tomato soup burst R0, using a 5w led uva/uvb lamp, been a week, and there is a tiny bit of fade evidenced by looking under the rhythm treble plastic disc. Going to be a long time project, but worth it as the spray job does not work with the grain, and as you can tell is really bugging me.

StallionDuck

Reaction score
I am currently trying to on my tomato soup burst R0, using a 5w led uva/uvb lamp, been a week, and there is a tiny bit of fade evidenced by looking under the rhythm treble plastic disc. Going to be a long time project, but worth it as the spray job does not work with the grain, and as you can tell is really bugging me.
Thats awesome! Historic les paul's have been confirmed as fade-able. Just out of curiosity, which lamp are you using? How many hours a day?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its this one, I bought it after reading answer to one of the questions asked, it uses PW led chips, so are gen UVA and UVB, using it 24/7 at mo been a week now i think. there is a small change, I think its probably about the same as UK daylight, its certainly not intense as only 50w equiv in normal lamps. leaving in for a month before I next check it out.

rogue3

Reaction score
sunlight works.takes a while.lost interest doing it.but my R8 gets the occasional sizzle.too busy playing.all i know.:dunno:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
just wait a few months, come May the outdoor UV level is 10 (maximum) on most any sunny day .. I never tried to fade a top but yeah, the red mahogany fades real fast and easy

Uncle Vinnie

Help me Mr. Wizard!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cover the fretboard and stick it by a window everyday while you're at work.

Burning_Guitar.gif

StallionDuck

Reaction score
Thanks all! Starting to wonder if I should subject the new axe to a uv lamp :Ohno:. I have been leaving it in windowed-sunlight (yes my fretboard is covered) for probably 20-ish hours by now. If I aint seeing anything come 80 or so hours, may be time to get a uv lamp!

-- Still curious if anyone out there has had success with a 2019-2020 standard, (NON HISTORIC PLS)

StallionDuck

Reaction score
More like 200 - 400 hours of sun if you really want it to fade.
Periodically look under the poker chip (assuming you have one) to check progress.
Thats the plan! Once it gets warmer here ill be doing it in direct sunlight rather than through windows.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the U.K. we get sunlight for approx two weeks a year, usually in august when I am in Ibiza. So my little sunlight lamp will have to do. Interestingly the fretboard has dried a tad, so will cover it now. Being an led ‘chip’ there is no heat to speak off. So it must be the UV light causing the wood to dry?

Last edited:

ErikLP

Reaction score
I live in the U.K. we get sunlight for approx two weeks a year, usually in august when I am in Ibiza. So my little sunlight lamp will have to do. Interestingly the fretboard has dried a tad, so will cover it now. Being an led ‘chip’ there is no heat to speak off. So it must be the UV light causing the wood to dry?
I'm in UK too, I left mine outside for about 15 hours in total and the fade is already visible, I have a honeyburst...I'm not sure what colour it'll get after 200h (and if we will have 200 hours of sun anyway lol) but I reckon I should be able to get to 100 hours at least...

Tide61

Reaction score
I know I know, some will call me crazy, others will link me to threads, I am just curious. Has anyone with a newer (2019/2020) Standard tried fading their top with either sunlight, uv, etc?. If you are going to say "oh well modern les paul's don't fade" SAVE IT BROTHER! I have seen threads where people have had sucess with lp traditional's (2010's) and even standards from the 2010s. And yes I read that mammoth scientific thread explaining the plasticizers and all that so yes it theoretically is possible, just wondering if anyone has tried yet.
Cheers
I can't believe what I'm reading here! Are you guys completely nuts?
Why exposing a guitar to severe heath changes? Why even in the first place the need to fake time for a color fade? What kind of mentality is this? Dude!!!! Get a nice guitar, live with it, grow with it and don't look at it... PLAY IT, Let it breathe and vibrate naturally. Just let i be! There's so much you should worry about in getting to play some decent msic on it.
What is this totally sick subculture of fake time, fake old, fake vintage, old farts anyway?
Why not just living things normally and appreciate time as it is for the fact you can't buy it?
Come on folks, get a grip!!!!

HRS

Reaction score
I can't believe what I'm reading here! Are you guys completely nuts?
Why exposing a guitar to severe heath changes? Why even in the first place the need to fake time for a color fade? What kind of mentality is this? Dude!!!! Get a nice guitar, live with it, grow with it and don't look at it... PLAY IT, Let it breathe and vibrate naturally. Just let i be! There's so much you should worry about in getting to play some decent msic on it.
What is this totally sick subculture of fake time, fake old, fake vintage, old farts anyway?
Why not just living things normally and appreciate time as it is for the fact you can't buy it?

I'm not sure if this is a real thing or just a joke.

2Muchgear

Reaction score
A little caution about summer sun and fading. My tomato soup R8 and tobacco burst R9 have both spent some time by the pool (on a chaise lounge, yes covered fretboard). Both have faded visibly but neither is a honey/lemon yet. Both guitars have evidence of the top cap separating at the seam, the last two inches or so by the tail. Looks like the wood has shrunk…(surprise).

- on the R9, I’ve gently sanded the seam with 3000# then 5000# grit wet sandpaper and was able to polish the lacquer back up to normal luster, but the split can be felt.

ymmv

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Some people love the way a guitar plays and sounds but not the way it looks; some people know that they'll never be able to put the mileage on a guitar to make it age the way they want naturally, so they turn to relic jobs... The point is, TO EACH THEIR OWN. Internet forums are not an excuse for people to use their opinions to bash others. You could have stated your opinion in a totally different way. Just saying.

Since this thread has been revived, I want to chime in and say EVERYTHING fades in the sun given enough time. There's a stop sign in the next town over from me that's almost completely bleached white. I'm actually surprised that they haven't replaced it by now because it looks like a blank white octagon from a distance.

Also, most modern glass windows offer some level of protection (at least from UV-B, but many are also formulated to block a lot of UV-A), so trying to fade through a window may not work well depending upon the glass in your windows. I tried the through-the-window fading method for several months one summer and didn't notice any change. Although I haven't been able to try this yet, I wonder if fading outdoors in the shade might be the best method, as it would get a lot more UV exposure than through a window, and the shade would lessen the potentially damaging effects of high heat from direct sunlight exposure (like in @2Muchgear's post). I'd love to know if anyone else has tried this. I love my cherry sunburst 2016 Traditional, it's absolutely my #1, but it's a little clown-y and I'd love it even more if it were a bit less red.

goodguy

Reaction score
On that note - how do I safely slightly & fade my 2007 Vintage Cherry-burst R8? Any advice.

Latest Threads