2019/2020 Les Paul Standard Fading?

StallionDuck

Reaction score
I know I know, some will call me crazy, others will link me to threads, I am just curious. Has anyone with a newer (2019/2020) Standard tried fading their top with either sunlight, uv, etc?. If you are going to say "oh well modern les paul's don't fade" SAVE IT BROTHER! I have seen threads where people have had sucess with lp traditional's (2010's) and even standards from the 2010s. And yes I read that mammoth scientific thread explaining the plasticizers and all that so yes it theoretically is possible, just wondering if anyone has tried yet.
Cheers

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to on my tomato soup burst R0, using a 5w led uva/uvb lamp, been a week, and there is a tiny bit of fade evidenced by looking under the rhythm treble plastic disc. Going to be a long time project, but worth it as the spray job does not work with the grain, and as you can tell is really bugging me.

StallionDuck

Reaction score
I am currently trying to on my tomato soup burst R0, using a 5w led uva/uvb lamp, been a week, and there is a tiny bit of fade evidenced by looking under the rhythm treble plastic disc. Going to be a long time project, but worth it as the spray job does not work with the grain, and as you can tell is really bugging me.
Thats awesome! Historic les paul's have been confirmed as fade-able. Just out of curiosity, which lamp are you using? How many hours a day?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its this one, I bought it after reading answer to one of the questions asked, it uses PW led chips, so are gen UVA and UVB, using it 24/7 at mo been a week now i think. there is a small change, I think its probably about the same as UK daylight, its certainly not intense as only 50w equiv in normal lamps. leaving in for a month before I next check it out.

rogue3

Reaction score
sunlight works.takes a while.lost interest doing it.but my R8 gets the occasional sizzle.too busy playing.all i know.:dunno:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
just wait a few months, come May the outdoor UV level is 10 (maximum) on most any sunny day .. I never tried to fade a top but yeah, the red mahogany fades real fast and easy

StallionDuck

Reaction score
Thanks all! Starting to wonder if I should subject the new axe to a uv lamp :Ohno:. I have been leaving it in windowed-sunlight (yes my fretboard is covered) for probably 20-ish hours by now. If I aint seeing anything come 80 or so hours, may be time to get a uv lamp!

-- Still curious if anyone out there has had success with a 2019-2020 standard, (NON HISTORIC PLS)

StallionDuck

Reaction score
More like 200 - 400 hours of sun if you really want it to fade.
Periodically look under the poker chip (assuming you have one) to check progress.
Thats the plan! Once it gets warmer here ill be doing it in direct sunlight rather than through windows.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the U.K. we get sunlight for approx two weeks a year, usually in august when I am in Ibiza. So my little sunlight lamp will have to do. Interestingly the fretboard has dried a tad, so will cover it now. Being an led ‘chip’ there is no heat to speak off. So it must be the UV light causing the wood to dry?

Last edited:

Latest Threads