2019 “Double Gold” vs. 2018 “Antique Gold”

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s a real 57? Dang, looks brand new. Guess the Antique Gold is spot on for a “fresh off the line” look.
Yep that is a mint, untouched, early ‘57 GT. I posted this here earlier as a reference point but no one knew what it is by the looks of things.

I’ll post a few more on the weekend.

:cheers2:

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The plot thickens....check out this shot from Wildwood advertised as a 2019 "Double Gold". I see no green in any of the shots/angles they have posted. I'm beginning to think whoever mixed the paint on the day the CME Goldtops were sprayed mixed some extra green in there:

jlb32

Reaction score
The Double Gold is a little to much green at closer pics IMO. Much prefer the antique.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Double Gold is a little to much green at closer pics IMO. Much prefer the antique.
Agreed, but I do think there is some inconsistency in how Double Gold is being sprayed. That is only based on web photos so I could be wrong...but even the 2019 R4 for sale in Classifieds doesn't look as green as the CME I had here.

RocketKing

Reaction score
That’s a real 57? Dang, looks brand new. Guess the Antique Gold is spot on for a “fresh off the line” look.
Yeah, just what I think too. But mind you, I was expecting variants even in the same year. It seems pretty "standard" for Gibson. I remember seeing 2 2014 R7 s here on the forum a few years ago : one had the classic gold - bronze finish, the other was noticibly greener

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Double Gold is what was used on the 2018 Brazilian run. I personally think it looks way better than what was used on the True Historics. There was also a new gold top forumula introduced back in 2013-2014 that everyone raved about and they are pretty close.
:D :eek2::D:D:eek2::dude:.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Which one is time period correct? They look very different
The green is there to replicate the oxidation that occurred over time with the real finish.. But the original factory off the line color was the bronze-gold shade.

moreles

Reaction score
I believe the variation in gold color on the genuine old goldtops is caused by oxidation and yellowing of the clearcoat. I don't find the addition of green or red pigment in with the bronze powder to be identical, and wonder how it will behave over time. Long ago, I came across a can of bronze powder that I believe is the same stuff Gibson used back in the day, so I'm set. I did one repaint with it and the result is wonderful. I find that the kind and thickness of the clearcoat has a big influence on the look of any goldtop. The really thinly-coated ones feel terrific; the later and modern ones with a serious layer of clear kind of... suck. They really look plastic-y and paint-y. And as we all know, you can't really photograph goldtop colors very accurately. It's not a color that reproduces well on a digital/LED screen or in print.