2019 “Double Gold” vs. 2018 “Antique Gold”

yeatzee

Reaction score
Need wildwood to do a demo of a double gold model, their video lighting for this antique gold JA looks just like my antique gold LP does in person

pinodorato

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what store is that?
Regarding the colors I see very little difference between the 2013 and 2018 models based on the images kindly posted on this thread.
As I wrote before the OP's finish looks very authentic, like a real aged but very well kept specimen. I do however prefer the 2018 model on the shot above. It's a real gold color and I imagine closer to how an original left the factory in the 50s before oxidation hit it.
If the historic department cuts that finish I'd be a bit disappointed. I think the greener colour should be an option if you want the aged look but about someone like me that likes the "as new" finish?
I was under the impression that there were always both varieties these years. If that's not case then I don't know how to explain the above 2018 compared to the 2018 r7 shown before
The store is centrochitarre.com

RAG7890

Reaction score
Interesting to see the variation in the GT finishes: -

:cheers2:

So which finish gets the win?

:cheers2:

Last edited:

Gold Tone

Reaction score
I think I’d be equal on both if the green one had the knobs greened/aged to match

It looks weird to me as is

If that we’re done I’d be equally ecstatic about owning either

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Continuing this topic, I had the chance to view and play two gold tops - a 2018 CME "Antique Gold" and 2019 CME "Double Gold". I will say the Double Gold looks VERY green in natural light, more green than gold. The gold knobs contrast very hard against the green finish. What do you all think?

I think Antique Gold is more of a "just rolled off the line in 1957" look whereas Double Gold is going for the "this guitar is 60 years old look". It depends on your preference, though personally I would prefer somewhere in the middle of the two.

Last edited:

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think the Double Gold would suit an aged guitar well, but the Antique Gold is better for a brand new, un-aged guitar. It looks like a gold color whereas the 2019 is almost an iridescent green. If I saw it being played by someone and didn't know it was a 57 reissue I might think it was actually a green guitar!

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm looking into this deeper, I think the CME goldtops are more green than the regular run Custom Shop stuff. Note these are both supposed to be "Double Gold". The top one is CME serial number, the bottom is regular run Custom Shop:

Oleynior

Reaction score
And this original 1957 GT ? Which modern GT suits him best?

yeatzee

Reaction score
Continuing this topic, I had the chance to view and play two gold tops - a 2018 "Antique Gold" and 2019 "Double Gold". I will say the Double Gold looks VERY green in natural light, more green than gold. The gold knobs contrast very hard against the green finish. What do you all think?

I think Antique Gold is more of a "just rolled off the line in 1957" look whereas Double Gold is going for the "this guitar is 60 years old look". It depends on your preference, though personally I would prefer somewhere in the middle of the two.

Thanks for the insight! Double Gold looks too green for my taste :)

RocketKing

Reaction score
Continuing this topic, I had the chance to view and play two gold tops - a 2018 CME "Antique Gold" and 2019 CME "Double Gold". I will say the Double Gold looks VERY green in natural light, more green than gold. The gold knobs contrast very hard against the green finish. What do you all think?

Agreed, that 2019 is WAY too green for my liking

RAG7890

Reaction score
For comparison sake Mike.

image 3.jpeg

The first pic is a mate's early '57 GT (mint condition) & the bottom pic is a '54 GT to provide a reference point.

Cheers, Rudi