2019 “Double Gold” vs. 2018 “Antique Gold”

yeatzee

Reaction score
They look super similar. An outdoor in the sun shot would be nice to see. My 2018 is more honey gold than green gold.

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
They look super similar. An outdoor in the sun shot would be nice to see. My 2018 is more honey gold than green gold.
Yeah they are close to my eyes. The first four shots were outdoors, but it was late in the day and the sky wasn’t the clearest. Hopefully I can try again soon under more direct sun.

Last edited:

alexanderja

Reaction score
Now it just needs them awful pup covers changed out.
Very nice though...want one.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's another side by side comparison of the 2019 Double Gold and the 2018 Antique Gold. (Double Gold on top).

I don't think those photos from CME are very accurate, the Sweetwater photos look totally different. I guess it just depends on the light.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
To me Double Gold looks a little "greener", the Antique Gold has a tint that is copper-ish. They look really different to me.
Al

Blue Blood

Reaction score
Excellent pics with the R6 and R7.
They both look super close. If I*had to pick one, it'd be the R6.
Both are excellent

yeatzee

Reaction score
Here's another side by side comparison of the 2019 Double Gold and the 2018 Antique Gold. (Double Gold on top).

The AG looks really dull here, not really close to what mine looks like. I'd characterize it as more metallic honey colored.

Were originals from the factory more green or honey? Over time did they get more green like double gold?

Last edited:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Those pictures are using two completely different light setup.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Yes, this new 2019 has the Carmelita neck and body carve.
The aged inlays look great but do vary from guitar to guitar.
The color has that "hint of green" in the gold just like the original 50's guitars did.
Dark back and sides and the big frets. Very Happy!
Here are some quick cell phone photos...

This looks like it's straight out of my book on the original models by Lawrence. Very authentic looking

RocketKing

Reaction score
Photos taken from the same store in Italy.

Left 2019 Double Gold, right 2018 Antique Gold. View attachment 374957
Just out of curiosity what store is that?
Regarding the colors I see very little difference between the 2013 and 2018 models based on the images kindly posted on this thread.
As I wrote before the OP's finish looks very authentic, like a real aged but very well kept specimen. I do however prefer the 2018 model on the shot above. It's a real gold color and I imagine closer to how an original left the factory in the 50s before oxidation hit it.
If the historic department cuts that finish I'd be a bit disappointed. I think the greener colour should be an option if you want the aged look but about someone like me that likes the "as new" finish?
I was under the impression that there were always both varieties these years. If that's not case then I don't know how to explain the above 2018 compared to the 2018 r7 shown before

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Use the knobs as a reference point

Unless they’ve been aged (most often not) it’ll give you the right comparison point

I “believe” that Gibson’s handpainted knobs are done in factory with fresh (not aged or greened or “double gold”ed) gold top paint. So regardless of final guitar top colour, the same “base” gold colour hits the knobs

Top Gun

Reaction score
You also have to take into account that the Antique Gold 2018 (guitar on the right) has a gloss finish. The 2019 Double Gold is VOS.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Double gold WAY too green for me

Super killer cool for and aged gold top, I’d love to own one! But for new (or VOS for that matter) it just looks “wrong”