2018 RI...will it bleed?

Pappy58

Reaction score
My 2016 R8 has a dark cherry back and neck and the dye has bled into the binding significantly. So far, with just a few hours of play to date, the '18 R9 shows no sign of any bleed. The hue on this one is lighter, but as far as I know it should still be the same basic dye...?

Anyway, anyone have a 2018 that bleeds? ...or any thoughts on why one should or shouldn't?

TIA! :cheers:

Pappy58

Reaction score
Is the guitar dye bleeding into the binding or is the case material bleeding into it??

No it's clearly the dye...this guitar is out of the case more than in and played regularly. It was a known thing and a big topic when the 2013-14RI's came out with the change from pigment to analine dyes. Just wondering if they maybe did something specific to stop it, or the case that with the lighter hue less dye was used, which would result in less bleed. :hmm:

Time will tell of course if it ultimately bleeds, I was just wondering if anyone has a 2018 that is bleeding or if I should expect this one to. :dunno:
:cheers:

irocdave12

Reaction score
Yeah my '14 R9 is a bleeder too. It's all related to heat from you hands. Most of mine is on the bass side on the first five frets where I do a lot of playing. I've heard claims that it will actually disappate some what from the binding with time but I'm not so sure I believe that. It's not uncommon and Gibson used to actually put a notice about binding color change in the cases with the guitars. I don't know when or why they stopped doing that

Tomburst

Reaction score
Dunno bout 2018 or any other year but I have a first run cc15 with bleed on the bass side. I'm a thumb over player and that's where all the bleed is. I don't mind it at all.

Dilver

Reaction score
The binding on my 2017 R8 is a deep pink on both sides of the neck. It came that way and hasn't faded a bit since I've had it and I play it practically every day and it's out hanging on my wall with some sun exposure.

Farquad

Reaction score
While not a 2018, my 2016 bleeds, but nowhere near as much as my cherry backed TH's.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
My '10 R8 has that awful plastic fake nitro...no poorly finished bleeding here !
no nuthin else happening either...

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just use an ultraviolet light to bleach out the bleed in the binding if it bothers you.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pappy, thanks so much for posting this. I have wondered the same thing. It would probably be a deal killer for me.

Pete M

Reaction score
It would probably be a deal killer for me.

So you guys want binding bleed, or you don't? I read one guy saying it happened due to the amount of Lacquer retarder (which is a bunch of solvents) used on any given day. I've only ever used aniline alcohol soluble dyes and pure lacquer (no retarder) thinned with acetone and I've never had a problem with binding bleed. Never seen it on a burst for that matter either.

Last edited:

Blue Blood

Reaction score
The 1st reissue I ever played was at Mr.Music in Boston,Ma.
The binding was completely pink it was so bad (CSB 58 reissue).
I hate binding bleed.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you guys want binding bleed, or you don't? I read one guy saying it happened due to the amount of Lacquer retarder (which is a bunch of solvents) used on any given day. I've only ever used aniline alcohol soluble dyes and pure lacquer (no retarder) thinned with acetone and I've never had a problem with binding bleed. Never seen it on a burst for that matter either.
I would be I don't want it

scott1970

Reaction score
My '14 R8 had lots of bleeding up both sides, but my '17 R4 has none at all. I've wondered what they may have done differently, if anything, beyond the more yellow look of the binding on the '17.

PierM

Reaction score
Take it out of the case and keep it under natural light and a bit of direct sunlight (better if behind a window to avoid overheating). It will fade away with UVs.
10/15 hours of exposure, per day, it will fade away pretty quickly. You just need to mask the rest of the finish.

@Danelectro

alnico59

Reaction score
The binding of my '14 R8 is completely pink on both sides. The guitar is so killer the way it plays and sounds that the bleed doesn't bother me all that much. But I would be lying if I said I don't want it to go away at some point.

Living in Florida we have no shortage of UV. I'm gonna start keeping it out of the case more and leave it outside a while to see what happens.

I was looking at pics of Jimmy Page's #1. From about '70-'71 to the 2000's and the guitar has faded quite a bit. I like that look and always thought the Ice Tea finish on mine was a bit too dark and too brown in the center. So I probably won't be masking off the body.

20171026_131954.jpg
IMG_7398.jpg

Latest Threads