2018 R8 case and Bigsby figment question

1allspub

Reaction score
Contemplating putting a Bigsby on my 2018 R8 (via a VibraMate, of course) but wondering if I’ll have any issues closing the case.

I’ve had Bigsbys on a couple of other guitars (both Epiphones, one added by me (w/ an aftermarket case) the other from the factory (w/ a factory case)) and in both instances losing the lid was *tight*.

2018 Reissues cases are very historically correct and thus skinnier/shallower than previous years’ cases (or most Gibson USA cases), so I have concerns. I know that some RIs are sold with Bigsbys factory installed, so you’d think they’d fit. But looking at my R8’s case, I’m just not sure.

Anyone else with a Bigsby on a later RI wanna chime in (especially if it’s a 2018 specifically)? Mucho appreciado! :cool:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got 1 reissue case. Zero problems fitment…to be honest, I didn’t even know it was skinnier
it does imprint on the fur more than the others maybe….but so long as u turn the bigsby “closed” it’s fine

my Douglas Is slimmer than any case and it fits fine…albeit it does leave an imprint on the fur

E87E2F80-51DE-4938-9E02-27171D2147E8.jpeg

-chris

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, my nashville bb 3pup custom also uses a re issue case iirc…it didn’t come with a bigsby, which I added, and it fits the case fine…
the white fur is fluffy :h5:

-chris

AJK1

Reaction score
I’m curious, what music does one play with a Bigsby on a LP ?

1allspub

Reaction score
I’m curious, what music does one play with a Bigsby on a LP ?
80 Hair Metal. Extreme whammy. Dive bombs. Duh! ;)

Honestly, I want one mostly just because I have always dug how an LP looks with a B7 Bigsby (it just has a steampunk kinda aesthetic appeal to me).

I’ve had Bigsbys on a couple of guitars and admittedly rarely used them other than as a novelty because I play classic and hard rock 99% of the time and finding place to use them is sometimes difficult (or forced). That said, Bigsbys are great for rock-a-billy/rock-a-billy-blues for sure (think Brian Setzer or The Reverend Horton Heat, though admittedly neither of these two are LP players)... and slow blues and blues/jazz (slow blues in particular interests me). But they can be used quite effectively in contemporary blues and blues rock as well. Really any kind of music for that matter, as long as it’s used as an accent/mood-setter and not as a substitute Floyd! Ha! It definitely takes a conscious effort to incorporate it into your playing if you’re not used to having one though.

But again, I just dig their looks and since I have two Iced Tea variant RIs, I thought it might be cool to differentiate one a bit with a Bigsby. Actually finding one (reasonably priced) has proved difficult though (supply chain?). We’ll see.... :)

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
80 Hair Metal. Extreme whammy. Dive bombs. Duh! ;)

Honestly, I want one mostly just because I have always dug how an LP looks with a B7 Bigsby (it just has a steampunk kinda aesthetic appeal to me).

I’ve had Bigsbys on a couple of guitars and admittedly rarely used them other than as a novelty because I play classic and hard rock 99% of the time and finding place to use them is sometimes difficult (or forced). That said, Bigsbys are great for rock-a-billy/rock-a-billy-blues for sure (think Brian Setzer or The Reverend Horton Heat, though admittedly neither of these two are LP players)... and slow blues and blues/jazz (slow blues in particular interests me). But they can be used quite effectively in contemporary blues and blues rock as well. Really any kind of music for that matter, as long as it’s used as an accent/mood-setter and not as a substitute Floyd! Ha! It definitely takes a conscious effort to incorporate it into your playing if you’re not used to having one though.

But again, I just dig their looks and since I have two Iced Tea variant RIs, I thought it might be cool to differentiate one a bit with a Bigsby. Actually finding one (reasonably priced) has proved difficult though (supply chain?). We’ll see.... :)
Fair call
I have a Gretsch G6120 blue sparkle lol and use it for Rockabilly etc
And yeah, the bigsbys look cool
Rock on !

1allspub

Reaction score
Well, I found one reasonably priced (and a Vibramate V7) today and bought it. So I guess I’ll see if there's any figment issues for myself. ;)

moreles

Reaction score
Clearly, many people like the look of Bigsbys. I have never understood this. To me, it's like having a pair of Vise-Grips or a can opener attached to the front of your guitar. I do understand that it's the only way to play "Cortez the Killer" with the correct degree of out-of-tuneness. Brian Setzer is the only individual to whom I have issued Bigsby Permission. The rest of you have gone rogue! Stop it!!

1allspub

Reaction score
Clearly, many people like the look of Bigsbys. I have never understood this. To me, it's like having a pair of Vise-Grips or a can opener attached to the front of your guitar. I do understand that it's the only way to play "Cortez the Killer" with the correct degree of out-of-tuneness. Brian Setzer is the only individual to whom I have issued Bigsby Permission. The rest of you have gone rogue! Stop it!!
As always... there's no accounting for taste! :p

Latest Threads