2018 Les Paul BFG - Thoughts?

lawrev

Reaction score
BFG is (onofficially) a Bad F*cking Guitar and came initially in worn black, worn red and worn gold. At some time Gibson also revealed a worn green one but I don't know whether it ever came to production.

And indeed, 1,5 years later, the last version was made in collaboration with Gary Moore.
Greg Koch has a video on YouTube that is a green BFG, maybe a 2010. I didn't care for that color, but the red, lemonburst, and the Gary Moore tops look great IMHO. For now, I have the worn ebony on layaway for 29 days. And the GC price is 649.

Bud Stoner

Something Something Jedi...
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always liked the BFG line. Years back, there were many threads on BFG's getting modded to hell, most with great results.

I may pull the trigger on the P90 model. I don't have any P90 guitars, and that price is killer.

And it's something you don't have to baby. Just play and enjoy.

Bud Stoner

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
BFG is (onofficially) a Bad F*cking Guitar and came initially in worn black, worn red and worn gold. At some time Gibson also revealed a worn green one but I don't know whether it ever came to production.
There was a green one. Trogleys did a video on it. There was also a black with a Fender style trem, and a natural, and blue for the second run.

Some sanded off the ridges to reveal a nicely flamed top.

A cool guitar in its own right.

Sinster

Reaction score
The 2018 BFG aren't the same as the earlier BFG's. 2018 aren't chambered and you can get them in dual Humbuckers and dual P90's, not a Humbucker/P90 combination.

I haven't played a 2018 so I can't give you my opinion. I had a chance to purchase a '18, but pass because of the specs not being the same as early version.

I always felt the pre 2018 BFG's are a versatile guitar that everyone should own. Gibson's hidden gem.

I do own a Gary Moore BFG

Last edited:

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
I think there was a 'Swamp' version, deep green of course, that had these ugly
wooden-like knobs. I thought the guitar was cool looking, cepting for the

fugly knobs.

It had a burstbucker and a P-90 (neck) PUPs with a 50s style neck.
The finish make it look like alligator skin.

Last edited:

lawrev

Reaction score
The 2018 BFG aren't the same as the earlier BFG's. 2018 aren't chambered and you can get them in dual Humbuckers and dual P90's, not a Humbucker/P90 combination.

I haven't played a 2018 so I can't give you my opinion. I had a chance to purchase a '18, but pass because of the specs not being the same as early version.

I always felt the pre 2018 BFG's are a versatile guitar that everyone should own. Gibson's hidden gem.

Absolutely! The 2018 is not like the older ones (checked them out) and it certainly isn't like the Gary Moore model. You have a sweet guitar there!

Bud Stoner

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I did not realize that they were not chambered. A few sites say they are.

So they are pretty heavy, then?

lawrev

Reaction score
I did not realize that they were not chambered. A few sites say they are.

So they are pretty heavy, then?
I was told they are weight relieved, but it didn't seem that light weight (the one I have on hold at GC).

Bud Stoner

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told they are weight relieved, but it didn't seem that light weight (the one I have on hold at GC).
According to the GC site, they have one of each at the Hollywood store.

I think I'll take a trip there tomorrow and check them out myself. One thing I really liked about the original runs were the chambering.

dspelman

Reaction score
the originals were one of those closet gems. Not for everyone, but those that liked it, LOVED it. I haven't had my hands on a newer one, but I feel they are somewhat spoiling the name.
These guitars (I have it on good authority) were an exercise in Gibson leaving as much as they possibly could OFF a guitar and still manage to sell it to someone because it had the logo. I've heard tell of people actually getting splinters off the silly things. They left off the truss rod cover, as I recall, and the pickups were mounted without rings, yada yada. Gibson is known for its fit and finish, so they left those off as well. In fact, they left off anything that would require labor or time spent. Most customers were smart enough to ignore it, but there are those who liked it.

moreles

Reaction score
If you like it, great. It probably plays and sounds fine. I think it's remarkably ugly, and not just because it's non-standard in appearance. Just speaking personally, there are plenty of minimally-finished guitars that I think look great, This is one of the few that I think achieves actual, real ugliness through the color, carve, and finish. Usually, when I don't like something myself, I can see why someone else would go for it. I think differing tastes and opinions are good and interesting. This particular model just defeats me.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I don't mind the looks at all. If it plays good and sounds good who cares? No, it's not a burst and wasn't meant to be. If you take it in with an open mind you just may like it.

Axeman16

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
when they came out people thought bfg stood for bound for garbage.

the other guitarist in my band had one of the original models and although im not a fan of the look it sounded good though i dint like the unfinished feel. the edge of the top dug into your arm and it was weight relieved but affordable and sounded good if you get one that feels good

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Weren't the tops on the original ones sandblasted to get that effect?. I once worked at a paint and drywall shop and part of my job was sandblasting certain pieces for effect, back then I wondered what a sandbasted guitar would look like. Sandblasting wood has different effects, depending on the grain of the wood, with some grain patterns it looks really beautiful. Some wood pieces would be sandblasted, then burned with a torch, and lightly sanded to get a great driftwood effect.
Al

Latest Threads