2018 Historic Collection Les Pauls vs. Previous Years' Reissues

kingsxman

Reaction score
@Pappy58 and anyone else with an '18: Are the 18's subject to binding bleed and have your finishes lost any of their vibrance?

Thanks.
I've had a few 2013-14's and my 2018 doesnt bleed near as much as those did. My finish is also a VOS which hasnt really changed much. Love the finish btw. Love the fade.

1allspub

Reaction score
My 2018 R8 (had since August) hasn’t bled nearly as much as the 3 other R8s I’ve had (2 2014s & a 2016).

Chris2121

Reaction score
My 2018 R8 (had since August) hasn’t bled nearly as much as the 3 other R8s I’ve had (2 2014s & a 2016).

Same here. I've played my '18 R9 continuously since June, and the binding has more of a reddish blush than a strong bleed, and hasn't really progressed further. Either way, the aniline dye is totally worth it for the eye appeal. The grain just pops - almost fluorescent in the right light.

BDW60

Reaction score
Time to stir the pot! :eek2: I'll bet $$$ that none of you could tell the difference between Braz vs EIR blindfolded! :wave:

That’s not stirring at all. That’s a given.

Here is stirring: I bet you could do blind listening to 10 LPs — 5 historics and 5 USA Trads— and nobody would be able to reliably and accurately tell you which five were which. They would all sound like Les Pauls ... :)

Pappy58

Reaction score
That’s not stirring at all. That’s a given.

Here is stirring: I bet you could do blind listening to 10 LPs — 5 historics and 5 USA Trads— and nobody would be able to reliably and accurately tell you which five were which. They would all sound like Les Pauls ... :)

Disagree... the electronics are different, so such will be the tone. Depending on where the knobs are set, many folks could tell the difference. This is a completely different argument than where a slab of wood came from. Consider the POT stirred! :wave:

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
I just bought a 2017 R8, plain top tea burst. I dont see anyone talking much about 2017 reissues here or anywhere else on the forum, accept the TH parts that are on all 2017 reissues. Anybody have some info, how were 2017 CS Les Pauls receved in our community? What would be the difference between 2016 and 2018 as the gentleman asked?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC 2017 was a funky year for Historics,... at one point they didn't produce straight forward '17 historics. Some were Collectors Choice models that were refurbished as "Historics"...... some were '16s that were serialized as '17s..... it wasn't till half way through the year that "reissues" were being made and they were not "labeled" as Historics,.... but they were:dunno:..... I could be mistaken but i believe this was the case in 2017.

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
IIRC 2017 was a funky year for Historics,... at one point they didn't produce straight forward '17 historics. Some were Collectors Choice models that were refurbished as "Historics"...... some were '16s that were serialized as '17s..... it wasn't till half way through the year that "reissues" were being made and they were not "labeled" as Historics,.... but they were:dunno:..... I could be mistaken but i believe this was the case in 2017.
Thanks for the info. IMHO any of the things you mentioned arent bad. P.S. I think every custom shop year can be perceived as funky that way, would you agree:cool2:?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. IMHO any of the things you mentioned arent bad. P.S. I think every custom shop year can be perceived as funky that way, would you agree:cool2:?
No,.... there was nothing bad with the instruments,... in fact it helped in producing some unique re-issues. The bad thing was that Gibson fired some really good people that made the Custom Shop what it is,.... There is a thread that discussed this (something like "Gibson Discontinuing Historics"),.... i'm sure someone here can post a link to that.

DanD

Reaction score
It wasn't until well into '17 that Gibson had sold their overstock. In prior years guitars were made then sold to dealers. Signature models like the Krieger and Frehley couldn't find dealers to buy them. Same goes for more than a few CCs.

The overstock was sold off at the beginning of the year before production of actual '17s were started. At this point Gibson required dealers to pre-order 'runs' of guitars.

The whole TH thing left a bad taste in Henry's mouth so '17s weren't called 'Historics' but 'Standards'. Then in '18 they brought Henry back to his senses and 'Historics' returned minus anything labeled 'True'.

I've had a few 'post repurposed' '17s in hand and own a '17 Braz M2M. The '17S are no different, other than color/ finish pattern, than the '18s.

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
It wasn't until well into '17 that Gibson had sold their overstock. In prior years guitars were made then sold to dealers. Signature models like the Krieger and Frehley couldn't find dealers to buy them. Same goes for more than a few CCs.

The overstock was sold off at the beginning of the year before production of actual '17s were started. At this point Gibson required dealers to pre-order 'runs' of guitars.

The whole TH thing left a bad taste in Henry's mouth so '17s weren't called 'Historics' but 'Standards'. Then in '18 they brought Henry back to his senses and 'Historics' returned minus anything labeled 'True'.

I've had a few 'post repurposed' '17s in hand and own a '17 Braz M2M. The '17S are no different, other than color/ finish pattern, than the '18s.
Thank you for info. Do you know what type of necks are on 2017 reissues? I read somewhere that all have 59' necks, even R8 and R7, is that true???

jktxs

Reaction score
Thank you for info. Do you know what type of necks are on 2017 reissues? I read somewhere that all have 59' necks, even R8 and R7, is that true???
Yes and no. IIRC Wildwood had 2017 R8/R0s with somewhat normal looking neck profiles.
Most of the 'regular' 2017s did have R9 necks though and it continued a bit into 2018 too. My R8 has mixed specs including R9 neck and frets (2017), untinted lacquer (early 2018) and new stepped truss rod cover.

mIABCNlh.jpg

Reactions: Jer

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
Yes and no. IIRC Wildwood had 2017 R8/R0s with somewhat normal looking neck profiles.
Most of the 'regular' 2017s did have R9 necks though and it continued a bit into 2018 too. My R8 has mixed specs including R9 neck and frets (2017), untinted lacquer (early 2018) and new stepped truss rod cover.
Thank you for your reply. So like mudface said, 2017 was a funky year for Gibson CS :hmm:. To me personaly, the more info I get, the happier I am with my 2017 R8. True Historic parts and a 59 neck for a price of R8 Standard, this is getting better and better ;);)

DanD

Reaction score
My '17 M2M R7 has an R7 neck, not an R9 neck. It's .92 at the first with slight shoulders and rolled binding. The rolled binding changes the feel from earlier 2000s reissue R7s.

But it's definitely not the run of the mill R9 .90 rounded profile that was used heavily from 2015 -early 2018.

DarthPaul

Reaction score
My neck measurements are .88 - .99
I believe that the only thing altered on my '17 R8/CC29v was the stamps and (possibly) the pickups.
That would mean that everything else (neck profile, top carve, etc.) is the exact same spec of CC29 - which is a copy of 9-1165.
One of the things mentioned by Gibson regarding CC29 is the "9-1165 neck profile" and how it's supposed to closely match the original: "Based on digital analysis of the original and approved by Tamio Okuda to allow a few more players to experience an otherwise untouchable guitar.", offering "A one of a kind feel, captured."
Obviously, I can only speak for this specific run of '17s.

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
A Pearly-esque top w/Knopfler aging? :applause:

What's not to like? :cheers2:

PGguy

Reaction score
Also, the painted over series were CC models

Latest Threads