2018 Gibson Brazilian Les Paul Standard Thread

jhs77

Reaction score
Just one came in today at CME...looks KILLER in person; really really great neck with the rolled binding but not too much. They also have 3 red 1959 335 reissues with the Brazilian boards...

Attachments

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just one came in today at CME...looks KILLER in person; really really great neck with the rolled binding but not too much. They also have 3 red 1959 335 reissues with the Brazilian boards...
You were there? Can you share some details? How do the finishes feel? Are they noticeably thinner than previous years (I was told they're wet-sanded like TH)? How are the necks, do they differ in size? Did you try a few (Brazilians I mean obviously)? How are the fretboards, how do the inlays look (are they cleanly installed or are there black lines around them)? What did you think of the tops? Is the top carve that nice on all of them?

Thanks for sharing the pics!

jhs77

Reaction score
They were absolutely killer. I played two R9s and two 335s. The pics of the dirty lemon don’t do it justice. It has the most vintage accurate finish I’ve ever seen on a reissue. The necks have the Carmelita carve and are so good. A little thinner than a typical R9. Between an R9 and a R0 I would say. The tops are extremely authentic looking as well on the two I played (the green lemon above and the kindred burst on their site). The finish is dulled perfectly, not overdone and I didn’t notice and black filler around the trapezoids. I was totally knocked out and surprised how great they were. The top carve is also spot on accurate. I’d be totally satisfied with either of them depending on what you’re looking for. Note clarity and clean infinite sustain is also there.

As for the 335s, the above applies to them as well. I particularly noticed the super cool vintage accurate “bubbled” Mickey Mouse ears. They nailed the red finish too.

Thumbs up these are spectacular guitars. I found myself asking the famous question; “what is it, is it just the sum of all the little things that makes it sound so different and so good”?

The only knock is the CME serial numbers. Not a huge deal just a preference thing. Hope that helps you guys if you’re on the fence. The guy that helped me was Alex. Super cool, super nice no pressure dude.

oasis02

Reaction score
In.

Visited CME with Jenton70 today and came home with a Green Lemon with a Carmelita neck. That neck is something special (to my dainty hand) from a comfort standpoint.

Mfolet's comparison video to the MN burst was the clincher, period.

Gave it a spin on the Metroplex and found the tone to be enjoyable; more bite and clarity than my former Mick Ralphs R8. Less than the former Custom, but does not feedback as-easily when using a Rat in-front of a Metroplex.
80's perfection achieved in that state.

View media item 105159

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
In.

Visited CME with Jenton70 today and came home with a Green Lemon with a Carmelita neck. That neck is something special (to my dainty hand) from a comfort standpoint.

Gave it a spin on the Metroplex and found the tone to be enjoyable; more bite and clarity than my former Mick Ralphs R8. Less than the former Custom, but does not feedback as-easily when using a Rat in-front of a Metroplex.

View media item 105159
Is that #31?

jhs77

Reaction score
In.

View media item 105159

I played your guitar for about two hours yesterday. One of the best LPs I’ve ever played, including vintage. Congrats! That ones a keeper!

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score
In.

View media item 105159
jenton70 is a bad influence.

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Compare a 2018 R8 standard to a 2017 R9 Brazilian with same settings.
Standard

Braz

I used a kemper with a single 12 Celestion Vintage 30.I profiled a Friedman BE50 on the BE channel with gain on 6.
I want one of those shirts

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
They also have 3 red 1959 335 reissues with the Brazilian boards...
Even though I'm not 100% sold on this Braz shit, that's very cool about the 335s. What do those go for, like 8k?

jhs77

Reaction score
Their 335’s are listed at $7600 prob $6800-$7000 out the door

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool looking. I'd probably grab a vintage 60s for less though. Cool idea. Hope they sell. 335s are my favorite guitars Gibson makes

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why is there a foam pad at the body end? Does the case not fit tight?
These cases came with True Historic guitars in years past, and also with some of the aged Reissues. They're more "vintage correct" which in this case means they offer less protection than the other Lifton brown cases that I think still come with regular Standards. During shipping they get stuffed with foam for more protection.

THDNUT

Reaction score
Yep, the cases are too loose. I have reissue Liftons from '06 that have glued in gray foam around the headstock and a loose piece of foam at the tail end to tighten up the guitar in the case. Mine are the "made in Costa Rica" cases.

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is. I can’t find the CME posting now.
Did you play #21 (the other lemon burst)? I don't think they ever got a chance to put yours up on the site lol.

21:

oasis02

Reaction score
"Did you play #21 (the other lemon burst)? I don't think they ever got a chance to put yours up on the site lol".

Grabbed for comparison, but did not play. The only one I actually played was #31. I set 4 on the couch, and determined the "winner" based on feel and looks.

Then, I got to try it on the Mercury V and Sovereign amps. The search needed to go no further.

As far as differences between #31 and #21, just a matter of the type of figuring you prefer. I will say it's hard to get an accurate color photo (at home) of the Green Lemon. It seems to photograph much more amber than it actually is. Your store pic above is a true color representation.

View media item 105168

Latest Threads