2018 Gibson Brazilian Les Paul Standard Thread

jhs77

Reaction score
Awesome thanks cnote! I always thought hide glue was used for the top-body connection in the 50’s. What was used back then? Was hide glue only used for the neck-body bond?

How do you like yours? On the fence about one myself. Thanks again!

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks cnote! I always thought hide glue was used for the top-body connection in the 50’s. What was used back then? Was hide glue only used for the neck-body bond?

How do you like yours? On the fence about one myself. Thanks again!
It was either Phenol Formaldehyde or Urea Formaldehyde.

The most likely option was Phenol Formaldehyde for the Maple Cap to Hog Body join.

Hide Glue was used for the Mortise & Tenon Neck bond & probably the BRW Board to Mahogany Neck bond.

Fish Glue for Frets.

:cheers2:

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, what's the finish like on the CME ones? I've been told they're wet sanded like the True Historics. Is that true? Is it a thinner finish than the older Reissues?

mfolet

Reaction score
Sure,
1) Potted pickups, Alnico 3 magnets - vintage correct would be unpotted, and probably not Alnico 3
2) Truss Rod Cover is too close to nut
3) Thumbwheels are steel instead of brass, and are the wrong size; posts might be a softer version of brass than what was used 60 years ago
4) S. Macrophylla is the correct species of mahogany, but grown in Fiji plantations instead of British Honduras/Belize - different climate, soil, elevation, and proximity to other trees
5) Bumblebees in these are fake, and not paper-in-oil or anything like the vintage capacitors
6) Hide glue for top-to-body attachment is nice, but not vintage correct; but at least it's not a synthetic glue

That list is remarkably short vs what we were all saying just 5 years ago.
The Brazilians I have played seem to be not potted pickups or they are lightly potted as they all feedback like crazy .

As far as the truss rod cover....they were all over the place. Here is a real 1960(thanks Sir Paul) and notice the cover is very close to the nut.