2018 Gibson Brazilian Les Paul Standard Thread

Curious George

Reaction score
Just one came in today at CME...looks KILLER in person; really really great neck with the rolled binding but not too much. They also have 3 red 1959 335 reissues with the Brazilian boards...
I think this one is sitting with me now...from what i can see of the top. All of your comments are spot on imho. Looks very vintage... not sure why or what it is, but it looks like a 'new' old LP. To me, the color is more skinner burst than nicky... def dirty lemon.

Finish is thinner than my prior donna th spec CC- noticeable on the back... and the back is less red and just a tiny bit more brown. Neck is one of the better profiles... not big and not small. As a guitar... its an 11 on a scale of 1-10. Will do an NGD soon and take it to Philly in the fall if I can.

View media item 105968

Last edited:

cnote

Reaction score
Beauty! Congrats!

That color looks a lot like mine. The finish is really great, I agree. It doesn't have the swirls of the TH, so I imagine it's not hand-sanded, but it feels really great, and the VOS treatment is more realistic than I remember from prior years.

jhs77

Reaction score
2018 Brazilian R9 just in with the help of Curt at HOG. Killer!! Very loud acoustically as well. I was on the fence about pulling the trigger on one and I’m glad I did now!!

Attachments

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
BIG PANIC ABOUT "NEARLY" Nothing. With all this lamenting from the peanut gallery on this thread, has ANYONE actually read the regulations and recent notices "in the trade" (guitar manufacture / repair)?? I did and do, and also attend all the workshops at NAMM (Anaheim) just a few miles from my shop. Rosewood is NOT going to "disappear" and neither is the use of Brazilian (South American, where actually Argentina is a larger supplier) sourced Rosewood as "plantations" have been busy creating new forests for the last half century. I can buy Brazilian or any other species of Rosewood, and so can Gibson, Fender, Guild, PRS, etc etc, as they need it. While it may get more expensive because of the damn "paperwork" to import it, it will likely always be available to anyone that needs it.

I suggest what will happen is that cheaper instruments will find another material, to use instead of ever more expensive better qualities of Rosewood and that only mid and upper range instruments will employ Rosewood.

Read before getting caught up in this ridiculous hysteria, it's gotten as bad as Washington DC politics.

http://www.wri.org/blog/2017/02/guitar-industry-grapples-trade-restrictions-rosewood-one-its-most-prized-timbers

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
BIG PANIC ABOUT "NEARLY" Nothing. With all this lamenting from the peanut gallery on this thread, has ANYONE actually read the regulations and recent notices "in the trade" (guitar manufacture / repair)?? I did and do, and also attend all the workshops at NAMM (Anaheim) just a few miles from my shop. Rosewood is NOT going to "disappear" and neither is the use of Brazilian (South American, where actually Argentina is a larger supplier) sourced Rosewood as "plantations" have been busy creating new forests for the last half century. I can buy Brazilian or any other species of Rosewood, and so can Gibson, Fender, Guild, PRS, etc etc, as they need it. While it may get more expensive because of the damn "paperwork" to import it, it will likely always be available to anyone that needs it.

I suggest what will happen is that cheaper instruments will find another material, to use instead of ever more expensive better qualities of Rosewood and that only mid and upper range instruments will employ Rosewood.

Read before getting caught up in this ridiculous hysteria, it's gotten as bad as Washington DC politics.

http://www.wri.org/blog/2017/02/guitar-industry-grapples-trade-restrictions-rosewood-one-its-most-prized-timbers
:rofl:

mafoofan

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the Brazilian R9s are generally quite a bit heavier versus regular Historics from a 2-3 years ago? I've only seen one under 8 lbs. Most seem to be 8.5+ lbs (though less than 9).

I found one that I really like the looks of, but it is 8 lbs 7 ounces and the seller's return policy is not very accommodating, so buying it would be a gamble. My last Historic was a 2014 R9 and it was only 7.9 lbs.

Should I be concerned about the weight? How consistently good are the 2018 Brazilian R9s? Can I just assume it will be pretty good and maybe awesome?

Clint

Reaction score
8.5 - 8.75 lbs is considered the optimal weight by many. I see nothing wrong with 8 lb 7 oz. Super light ones don't always sound great BTW.
FWIW I saw a 2018 braz R9 recently advertised and sold that weighed UNDER 7.5 lbs which is unheard of.

Curious George

Reaction score
2018 Brazilian R9 just in with the help of Curt at HOG. Killer!! Very loud acoustically as well. I was on the fence about pulling the trigger on one and I’m glad I did now!!
That is AWESOME @jhs77 - waiting for a tone report!!!

Last edited:

jlb32

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the Brazilian R9s are generally quite a bit heavier versus regular Historics from a 2-3 years ago? I've only seen one under 8 lbs. Most seem to be 8.5+ lbs (though less than 9).

I found one that I really like the looks of, but it is 8 lbs 7 ounces and the seller's return policy is not very accommodating, so buying it would be a gamble. My last Historic was a 2014 R9 and it was only 7.9 lbs.

Should I be concerned about the weight? How consistently good are the 2018 Brazilian R9s? Can I just assume it will be pretty good and maybe awesome?
Why would you be concerned about the weight as a major buying point, other than if you have back issues, etc... and just "need" lighter weight for those reasons?

Lighter weight doesn't equal super wood or super tone. The best sounding solid bodied guitars I've played/owned have actually been on the heavier side.

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
Two of my best, one is 8lbs and the other is about 9lbs.

The more LPs I play the less I think weight matters anymore.

mfolet

Reaction score
Wow ,just seen a bunch in Vintage Cherry at House of Guitars. The boards are still looking good and the tops are great too.

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow ,just seen a bunch in Vintage Cherry at House of Guitars. The boards are still looking good and the tops are great too.
If these are the same ones I saw on the new arrivals, they are stunning!

RAG7890

Reaction score
2018 Historic ‘57 Goldtop VOS Brazilian. Had it about a week now. Love.

Awesome GT. :thumbs:

HNGD.

Pleeeeaaaasssseeee remove that PG Sticker or is that the SE pics & you’ve already done the deed?

:cheers2: