2018 Gibson Brazilian Les Paul Standard Thread

RAG7890

Reaction score
Nice. But, no offense intended, I personally won't be paying those kind of prices for a guitar with CME on the head stock.

Call me what you will, for lump of $$$$$ that size I want perfection down to the finest details.

I'm prepared to real f'n picky if'n I jump.

Probably should of already made my move but something a little better may be in the works. :hmm:
Yeah but wrong Wood, wrong Nitro, wrong PU's, wrong Glue in some places, wrong Caps, there are many things that do not meet the finest detail with a current Les Paul............so IMHO, I just don't see an issue having CME on the HS.

It wouldn't bother me. Some great looking Guitars getting posted here now.

:cheers2:

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
I agree. I've seen some real stunners from CME.

I'm sure most don't have an issue with the CME numbers. But that's just one of my pet peeves. :dunno:

cnote

Reaction score
Updating the list of differences vs Vintage, apart from the serial number on the CME ones - I forgot about the brass tuner posts.

1) Potted pickups, Alnico 3 magnets - vintage correct would be unpotted, and probably not Alnico 3
2) Truss Rod Cover is too close to nut - but vintage placement varied, and some were close to the nut
3) Thumbwheels are steel instead of brass, and are the wrong size; posts might be a softer version of brass than what was used 60 years ago
4) S. Macrophylla is the correct species of mahogany, but grown in Fiji plantations instead of British Honduras/Belize - different climate, soil, elevation, proximity to other trees, and color
5) Bumblebees in these are fake, and not paper-in-oil or anything like the vintage capacitors, and pots are not Centralab's design and taper
6) Hide glue for top-to-body attachment is nice, but not vintage correct; but at least it's not a synthetic glue
7) Machine Heads/Tuners have steel posts, instead of brass posts, and have plastic parts inside (but the steel ones won't bend!)
8) Nitro finish formulation - although the current finish looks great, and feels great

I still think it's a much shorter list than we were considering 5-6 years ago. As for the price, it's basically two for one for a lot here, I'd guess. I know I sold stuff. I've had two Historic LPs in the past, now I have just one, the BRW, and it's worth it to me.

Last edited:

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
how many digits are some of the "accurate" serial numbers up to now?
IMG_8974.JPG
IMG_8973.JPG

I'm really digging this guitar. The top is a bit darker than my old one, and with the tinted binding and darker back the entire aesthetic is different. The "Carmelita" neck carve is sweet as well. Sounds really nice, maybe I'll share a quick clip.

Last edited:

captdan61

Reaction score
Both are just lovely. I would love to see a faded tobacco burst version or the burst I've seen called slow ice tea. But these are great!!

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Jeez, you guys are killing me! Such sweet axes!

Does anyone know if some of these have hit the shops in Europe?

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it stinks but none of the US shops can ship them overseas. Gibson doesn't seem to have prepared any paperwork so they can be exported.

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Do you mean it's mainly because of CITES in combination with the Brazilian rosewood?