2018 Classic NOS Day. Strange one....

afireinside

Reaction score
The other day i was on FB and a GC ad popped up for a 2018 LP classic pelham blue top. It was a stock picture so i thought that was odd. I bought one on the last clearence at $1400+ tax, stupidly sold it.

Did some calling and low and behold a store found a NOS sitting in a box in the back room, and put it baxk up on the website. Strange!

I ordered it was a bit cheaper then the old clearence, but nothing mind-blowing. It just showed up! It had a few minor dings on it, nothing too bad. Still acclimateing due to 20 deg temps on the brown truck and coming frlm NY to Michigan. Well here are some quick pics

I attached some quick pics of the back of the headstock dose that look like a break repair? Or just horrible grain placement? I feel nothing with my fingernail, no ridge ect.

Also must have been swapped has the bench pic and warranty card of a black classic

Screenshot_20210211-153841_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-153835_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-153830_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-153359_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-153408_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-153403_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-153807_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-153815_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-153824_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-153811_Gallery.jpg

DoctorGonzo

Reaction score
Looks like really unfortunate grain placement on the neck to me. Especially because of the last picture, if it was a break I think you'd see a really clear line going up and to the left. At least that is what I've seen on breaks that look similar to that. Beautiful guitar! Hope she sounds as good as she looks!

afireinside

Reaction score
More pics found a crack? Wave? Ripple on the headstock face that could indicate a old break?

Screenshot_20210211-155417_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-155354_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-155349_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-155344_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-155341_Gallery.jpg

Meatwad

Reaction score
Those lines on the front look like it was damaged/fractured to my eyes - the area around low E string on the side looks a bit hinky too.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Im not an expert but it looks 100% like a repair. A rather good one, but a repair nonetheless. It wouldn't bother me, If I got the guitar for a price that reflects a repair. The repair might even be stronger than it was before the break.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup,... looks like a break repair. Even the color on the back of the neck behind the nut looks off...especially in this pic.

Screenshot_20210211-153824_Gallery.jpg

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great looking guitar! Thats totally worth it if you paid $1200 +/-

afireinside

Reaction score
Oh and a weird respray on the forearm area? It is a darker pelham color and is full of orange peel. It gets stranger.

Screenshot_20210211-162843_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-162850_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210211-162856_Gallery.jpg

heavypic

Reaction score
OP - Too many issues/questions for me. The apparent repair sure explains the "store found a NOS sitting in a box in the back room". I'd return it. You can't confirm the quality of the repair or if it will break again at that location. I wouldn't take that risk at a $1,000 purchase price. Money better spent on another LP. Just be a patient shopper. Back in 2016, I bought 2 premium guitars during a ~17% off retail sale...talked them down further to the point of ~35% off retail. Admittedly, the economy was a little slow and the timing in my favor. Patience...cash in hand...timing...and lining up a couple of guitar choices and vendors...and vendors falling a little short of their end of month sales targets can work to your advantage. Problem right now is the COVID lockdown...folks got time and gov't checks in-hand and the vendors know it. What goes up, must come down... Good luck!

BDW60

Reaction score
Wow. Guitar Center sold you a “new old stock“ guitar that had a cracked headstock and has obviously been repaired. Then, when called out on it, they won’t budge on the price. Why? Because they want to sell it again and hope the next buyer is clueless and they get away with it.

Note to self: do not buy a guitar from those people.

BikeBro

Reaction score
That’s a weird one, I wonder if the original owner snapped it and had it repaired quick and was able to return it/fool GC into taking it back? Weirder still is they won’t work with you on the price - they either want to disclose the break and sit on it forever or dupe someone else...

afireinside

Reaction score
I was also thinking the owner repaired it and fooled GC. Maybe they dont believe me about the break? Thinking im just looking for a few hundred more off a non damaged guitar? Because how could they EVER miss that lol.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,....at least they didn’t list it as having a Brazilian rosewood fretboard.:rofl:

MrFrump

Reaction score
Well I'm bummed. I think guitar center just sold me your guitar without disclosing the repair to me. I even had the tech in the store look it over while I was on the phone with him and he said no damage, repairs etc. I thought I was being extra cautious and I guess I still got burned. I wish I would have seen this thread before I bought it.

They told me no returns either since it is a clearance item, but this seems way out of line. Ugh. OP - I'm almost positive I have your guitar - small ding by the switch, repair in the same location, weird paint issue in the forearm area etc. Do you happen to know what your serial number was? I'm calling them to complain either way but it would help if I have definitive evidence that the numbers match and they are being dishonest by selling guitars they know have issues without disclosing them.

Sinster

Reaction score
Well I'm bummed. I think guitar center just sold me your guitar without disclosing the repair to me. I even had the tech in the store look it over while I was on the phone with him and he said no damage, repairs etc. I thought I was being extra cautious and I guess I still got burned. I wish I would have seen this thread before I bought it.

They told me no returns either since it is a clearance item, but this seems way out of line. Ugh. OP - I'm almost positive I have your guitar - small ding by the switch, repair in the same location, weird paint issue in the forearm area etc. Do you happen to know what your serial number was? I'm calling them to complain either way but it would help if I have definitive evidence that the numbers match and they are being dishonest by selling guitars they know have issues without disclosing them.

I would make sure they take it back or have them even discount it even more. They sold a guitar that said has never been damaged. They sold it under false pretenses.

Did you purchase it online and can you go back to look at GC description of the guitar? I also suggest you screen shot stuff like this in the future to CYA.

Last edited:

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread should be your friend. Can't imagine them not taking it back.
Crazy story! Both of em!

MrFrump

Reaction score
I would make sure they take it back or have them even discount it even more. They sold a guitar that said has never been damaged. They sold it under false pretenses.

Did you purchase it online and can you go back to look at GC description of the guitar? I also suggest you screen shot stuff like this in the future to CYA.

I ordered it over the phone from the store directly. The listing online showed the normal $1900 price with a "call us" designation on the listing and just a stock photo. So I did and they tracked it down to the specific store and told me to call them. Same story as the OP. I had two people in that store go over the guitar with me over the phone and said all was good, no breaks, repairs etc. and I was getting a great deal. I had the tech send me multiple photos of the guitar before I bought it and in his email he said everything was good. I was floored when I realized I received the same guitar as the OP with the repair. In their defense, the repair line is very faint and you can't feel it with your finger so it's possible they missed it. But the store shouldn't be selling it without disclosing the history of the guitar.

I did call the main number and they processed a return for me and gave me a shipping label so I think I'm okay. I may try to drive to the nearest guitar center tomorrow rather than ship it just to be safe. Hopefully they won't give me any grief with the return already set up.

The thing is if they sold it as used and disclosed the break and repair in the description they could probably sell if for $1300 and whoever bought it would probably be a happy camper since prices are so crazy right now. It is a nice guitar - I just don't appreciate getting lied to. Instead they sell it as if it is new or like new with a few minor dings when it clearly is not since it has been damaged and repaired at some point.

Sinster

Reaction score
They didn't offer to lower the price?

Latest Threads