2018 Brazilian slow ice tea fade

Mudflap

Reaction score
Hi everyone a little advice would be helpful. I'm 65 and have playing for 45 years. The gibson les paul has always been and will always be my favorite guitar. I have 2 les pauls 57 black custom and 57 gold top both wildwood speck with the smaller inbetween the 60s and 59 V2 neck that I absolutely love and under 8.50lbs. I have a 2018 59 Brazilian coming today weighing in at 8.05 .865 /.961 not as small as the V2 but close one of the smalles I've found in this run and have a 14 day check with free shipping both ways. All my guitars were purchased new so I have warranties with them but this one is used mint so no warranty. I've put a-lot of searching into this purchase to find just the right one. I'm paying top dollar I know that but what is the sense in saving a grand if it's not just what you want. But I'd be somewhat upset if they did a 2019 run like this one and since I'm paying top dollar the 2019 probably wouldn't be that much more but have a warranty. Does any know or think Gibson will put out another run and if so isn't the 2018 brazilian as close as they can get already no so advantage there. Just thinking a-lot of cash with no warranty. Any ideas on this, thanks steven
s-l1600.jpg

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Awesome top!
About the warranty: I have never had any issues with my guitars so I wouldn''t care for it. On the other hand I never bought new and paid the part so.... Sorry I can't help.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never used or needed a warranty with any of the 150+ reissue's I have owned, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Just inspect it close when you receive it, and if it's all good, you should have no worries.

I'm not sure what you mean by "2019 run like this one"? They have 2019 Brazilian reissues. As for the rest of your question/statement, you answered it yourself. Why would you buy used if you are paying top dollar? You would probably have done better to contact one of our sponsors (HOG, Dave's, etc.) then buying "top dollar" used. Then again, that's hard to say without knowing what your definition of "top dollar" is.

Bottom line is that's a great looking guitar, and if you are happy with it when you get it, it doesn't really matter what you paid. Your happiness is all that matters! Enjoy! HNGD.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the warranty. It's good that your getting a great return window from Lovie's.

The R9 looks fantastic, BTW! Congrats in advance!

:welcome: to the forum!

Mudflap

Reaction score
I've never used or needed a warranty with any of the 150+ reissue's I have owned, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Just inspect it close when you receive it, and if it's all good, you should have no worries.

I'm not sure what you mean by "2019 run like this one"? They have 2019 Brazilian reissues. As for the rest of your question/statement, you answered it yourself. Why would you buy used if you are paying top dollar? You would probably have done better to contact one of our sponsors (HOG, Dave's, etc.) then buying "top dollar" used. Then again, that's hard to say without knowing what your definition of "top dollar" is.

Bottom line is that's a great looking guitar, and if you are happy with it when you get it, it doesn't really matter what you paid. Your happiness is all that matters! Enjoy! HNGD.
Hi everyone a little advice would be helpful. I'm 65 and have playing for 45 years. The gibson les paul has always been and will always be my favorite guitar. I have 2 les pauls 57 black custom and 57 gold top both wildwood speck with the smaller inbetween the 60s and 59 V2 neck that I absolutely love and under 8.50lbs. I have a 2018 59 Brazilian coming today weighing in at 8.05 .865 /.961 not as small as the V2 but close one of the smalles I've found in this run and have a 14 day check with free shipping both ways. All my guitars were purchased new so I have warranties with them but this one is used mint so no warranty. I've put a-lot of searching into this purchase to find just the right one. I'm paying top dollar I know that but what is the sense in saving a grand if it's not just what you want. But I'd be somewhat upset if they did a 2019 run like this one and since I'm paying top dollar the 2019 probably wouldn't be that much more but have a warranty. Does any know or think Gibson will put out another run and if so isn't the 2018 brazilian as close as they can get already no so advantage there. Just thinking a-lot of cash with no warranty. Any ideas on this, thanks stevenView attachment 431993
Thanks every one for your input. She arrived and all is good. She's not quite as bright as the pick here I like it little toned down. She looks more like this pic, Yes it doesn't matter on the cost if it's truly what you want. This 59 is amazing and it still has the original gibson strings. She was born early 2018 and tomorrow when my local luthier Paul Unkert goes over it set to my specs and fresh set of pure nickel round core thro-bak strings I'll probably be in jammies the rest of the weekend. Oh crap close to 70* and I promised my car I'd giver her a bath. LOL
Hi everyone a little advice would be helpful. I'm 65 and have playing for 45 years. The gibson les paul has always been and will always be my favorite guitar. I have 2 les pauls 57 black custom and 57 gold top both wildwood speck with the smaller in between the 60s and 59 V2 neck that I absolutely love and under 8.50lbs. I have a 2018 59 Brazilian coming today weighing in at 8.05 .865 /.961 not as small as the V2 but close one of the smallest I've found in this run and have a 14 day check with free shipping both ways. All my guitars were purchased new so I have warranties with them but this one is used mint so no warranty. I've put a-lot of searching into this purchase to find just the right one. I'm paying top dollar I know that but what is the sense in saving a grand if it's not just what you want. But I'd be somewhat upset if they did a 2019 run like this one and since I'm paying top dollar the 2019 probably wouldn't be that much more but have a warranty. Does any know or think Gibson will put out another run and if so isn't the 2018 brazilian as close as they can get already no so advantage there. Just thinking a-lot of cash with no warranty. Any ideas on this, thanks steven
rx4qnmlm5emyamy46j0a.jpg
View attachment 431993
Hi guys and thanks for the input. She arrived safely and all is good. She's really quite special even with the original strings. Tomorrow I'll bring her over to Paul Unkert a local luthier that I'm so lucky to have not 20 minutes from me and have set up to my specs and fresh pair of thro-bak round core pure nickel strings. I believe she'll sound even better if that's even possible LOL She's not quite as bright as the first pic more like the second but even a slight less bright. Which I really prefer. Like these tops not so in your face you know more subdued. Any weigh this is the lightest les paul I've ever owned and being my hands are more on the small side the smaller 59 neck works perfect for me. Once I get back from the luthiers tomorrow I'll probably remain in Jammies wearing my 59 the rest of the weekend. God I love guitars amps and pedals. LOL thanks again guys.

Pageburst

Reaction score
Congrats on a great guitar!

warranty? on the guitars i bought new, i dont think i even filled out the card. if you drop it, the warranty ain’t going to help.

There already are several 2019 Brazilian board Historics. I’m not sure why that should matter. the upgraded pots and caps in the 2019s are available for about 90 bucks

And here is some good news. The actual Brazilian boards used in 2017, 2018 and 2019 were made in 2017. That’s why the 2019 brazilian R9s dont have aged inlays like the other 2019 R9s.

So if uou can find a 60th anniversay commemorative switch plate, and buy some Luxe bees and cts vintage style pots viola! A 2019 Brazilian.

Some people have a fetish about the weirdest minutiae when it comes to Les Pauls. Don’t go that way, that way lies damnation, lol Seriously, If it plays good and sounds good and you bond with it, that’s all that matters.

Mudflap

Reaction score
Congrats on a great guitar!

warranty? on the guitars i bought new, i dont think i even filled out the card. if you drop it, the warranty ain’t going to help.

There already are several 2019 Brazilian board Historics. I’m not sure why that should matter. the upgraded pots and caps in the 2019s are available for about 90 bucks

And here is some good news. The actual Brazilian boards used in 2017, 2018 and 2019 were made in 2017. That’s why the 2019 brazilian R9s dont have aged inlays like the other 2019 R9s.

So if uou can find a 60th anniversay commemorative switch plate, and buy some Luxe bees and cts vintage style pots viola! A 2019 Brazilian.

Some people have a fetish about the weirdest minutiae when it comes to Les Pauls. Don’t go that way, that way lies damnation, lol Seriously, If it plays good and sounds good and you bond with it, that’s all that matters.
Thanks for the info. She's different from my other 2 les pauls in tone and it does have a little hotter pickups. I don't care for hot pickups but these are just slightly which is nice not much sense in having 3 les pauls that sound the same but just look different. It still has the factory strings and she was born 4/2/18 and purchased by a collector. She's in mint condition and tomorrow I'm bringing her to our local luthier for a look see and if all is good set it up to my specs with a fresh set of strings. The tone seems to be there but sounds like it's holding back like she's just hasn't quite woken up yet. If you know what I mean. Hoping it's just the factory string. I know on my practice guitar I let the strings go too long and when I finally change them there's such a difference. As far as the caps and pots go this is the first and only les paul that when I turn the volume down I just don't hear any treble loss. On my 2 other pauls It was quite noticeable and I had treble bleed circuits installed. I'm thinking a fresh set of strings will make the difference I'm looking for. As far as the 2019 goes I know I paid probably close to what she sold for new. So search for a 2019 was mainly for the warranty. I put a lot of time in finding this one. When it comes to spending thousands on a guitar it has to have everything I want weight, neck shape, tone, looks and of coarse if you don't bond then it doesn't matter anyway. Thanks again for taking the time to write. Steve

Clint

Reaction score
Also 2019's came with unpotted Custombuckers FWIW. Personally, I'd rather they be potted like previous years.

Mudflap

Reaction score
Also 2019's came with unpotted Custombuckers FWIW. Personally, I'd rather they be potted like previous years.
Hi, I prefer potted myself. I just got her back and I really can't stop playing her and it's not she's the new kid on the block I've had to many guitars for that. She's perfect. I asked Paul to take the back cover off to see if there was anything different than usaual and he said no just the standard wiring, caps and pots so I don't know why but there's no treble lost when I turn the volume down . That's the first for me with les pauls and I've owned more than you can shake a stick at in 45 years. I like setting my amp to a heavey bluesy brake-up and use my volume and pick attack for clean to brake up. She's worth every penny to me everything about her is perfect. I have 3 les pauls and PRS custom 24 artist and I love playing all of them equally. Another first usually ones always the favorite. Now back to being the best player I can be. Thanks again. Ps the only pedal I'd ever recommend is the unit 67 pedal by dry bell. Pete thorn did I nice video check it out some time (pete thorn dry bell unit 67)

Attachments

chrimer

Reaction score
Congrats on the NGD! Nice One. Paul is the best! Lots of old 'burst lore and legend from old days if you're into that kind of stuff!

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Congrats...nice guitar....

Ever try to "collect" on a Gibson Warranty? Its pointless ….When I dared enter that arena, the guitar was destroyed and they made me a new one....no joke....it was a crooked machine head....

All anyone had to do, was fill the hole, straighten the machine head, drill a new hole and add a screw...no one local would touch it (because they knew they wouldn't get paid for the work by Gibson)

I had to call the dealer I bought it from (who was Awesome!) and they got the ball rolling, six weeks later I returned the defective guitar and received a new one, with a top I chose from wood blanks and a paint job I approved....

In the end it was nothing like the initial guitar....which was beautiful....

Some members here may remember my thread on it.