2018 and 2019 R9 Bobbin color

Dean40000

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what bobbin color is used on the pickups of a Gibson les paul 2018 historic R9 and a 2019 60th anniversary R9?

Thanks

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Most likely double blacks (like all years) but what makes you think every R9 is exactly the same?

ARandall

Reaction score
^ The answer to this would require you to take the Gibson cover off your guitars, or remove a pole or mounting screw. Because neither do we know what colour Gibson uses for every pickup.

It was only years later that the cream was discovered as an example.

Dean40000

Reaction score
So, basically Gibson uses what ever they have laying around. No standard color is used for a specific year/ model

ARandall

Reaction score
Its essentially an unimportant detail, as almost all (if not every) reissue is sold with covers on. Black is the default colour, but if there are pickups that get made in a batch with some zebra combos, then these can be put into guitars if perhaps there is a temporary shortage of pickups, or if more are made than are needed for retail sale.

The only one I can think might have a specified look is a CC, where the guitar has an iconic uncovered look.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
As stated above, however you can remove the mount screws (on the bottom of the plate-under the pickup) and peek in the hole with a bright light. Color reveled ….does require removing the pickup from the body. But not the bezel from the pickup. And you will not loose any adjustment....

Note; don't remove all of those screws at once ….one on the top...replace ...one on the bottom...replace...

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I was curious but lazy enough to not care to take the effort to remove pickup from body. if I had my druthers, they'd be double white just because :D

1all's Pub

Reaction score
No need to take the covers off to check… Just screw one of the pole pieces down below the cover and you’ll be able to see the color of that bobbin. Then flip the pick up over and unscrew one of the baseplate screws on the bottom of the pickup and you’ll be able to see the other bobbin’s color. Easy.

BSeneca

Reaction score
So, basically Gibson uses what ever they have laying around. No standard color is used for a specific year/ model
This would be historically accurate. Because Gibson that in the Golden years as well. White or zebra bobbins only occurred because the manufacturer ran out of black. So they used whatever they had. It completely just a look. I wouldn’t think they would cover zebras.

Latest Threads