2017 vs 2013 historic

boola1

Reaction score
I know some people will laugh but genuine question...

I'd love to hear people's opinions on whether the all hide glue construction on the 2017 models is a genuine improvement on the neck-only hide glue build of the 2013 model?

Last edited:

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
No difference....but its a cool factor for sure...

You will only see the "Tone Factor" appear for real in Violins and Acoustics when it comes to hide glue ....

RAG7890

Reaction score
The cool factor is funny though when you consider they used the wrong Glue.

:cheers2:

KBMelb

Reaction score
If construction is proper, glue should be near irrelevant. Hide glue would make huge difference on laminents, like Sct mentioned on acoustics and violins

none2low

Reaction score
I'm in the zero difference camp. Way too many variables from one guitar to the next to attribute it to the type of glue used in assembly.

boola1

Reaction score
No difference....but its a cool factor for sure...

You will only see the "Tone Factor" appear for real in Violins and Acoustics when it comes to hide glue ....
Why does it make a difference in Violins and Acoustics?

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Because they are acoustic instruments that that move air in their bodies.

solid body guitars aren’t as sensitive to things like glue changes or wood types...

boola1

Reaction score
solid body guitars aren’t as sensitive to things like glue changes or wood types...
OK maybe not as sensitive but if you have unpotted pickups, the wood types make a very significant difference to the sound of a solid body guitar.

So if it makes a difference to acoustics, what I'm hearing is that it does make a difference to solid bodies but probably not significantly.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, that would be true for someone who can hear the differences. Remember that the findings are all subjective and the ones that are incapable of hearing or flat refuse to listen will be the first to claim its all bs ...

No, the difference can be significant.... just moving the soundpost 1mm in violin changes it entire character and volume. That post is helping to make the top and back speak to one another.
The more solid the contact between the wood surfaces the better vibrations can proliferate through the medium and make the air move in the instrument. If you can’t hear it ... you can’t hear it....

Wizard of Ozz

Reaction score
I've got 2 2017 R9s and like them a lot. They sound better than my 2 2016 R9s and 1 2014 R9. More resosnant, more open, more alive even unplugged acoustically.

Does the hide glue top matter? Maybe, maybe not. I can say 2017 was a "good" year and the last year of Edwin Wilson and Rick Gembar at Gibson. Those guys have some experience in building some nice Historic Reissue Les Pauls.

Just sayin...

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that it all lies in the density of the woods used, a dense piece of mahogany will sound different than a light porous piece of mahogany. Of course one must consider the combination of maple/mahogany....and the maples harness or density.
and that probably all there is to it...

the glue between the top and back I cant see having any effect.... but who knows, maybe I can’t hear it if it were there....

Victory Pete

Reaction score
I think it makes a difference, even if it is subtle. Many subtle differences are what sets apart my 2018 R0 from my 2 USA Les Pauls like night and day.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
When discussing Hyde glue or Brazilian, I hear the cash register ringing.

It's a bright sound that cuts through your bank account.

You can especially hear it in the classifieds
I must be getting freaking old,.... i haven't heard a cash register RING in years,..... just beeps........ But i do remember the days.;)

GearHo

Reaction score
Didnt you know that guitar players hear things from years gone by.....and things that don't exist.

Like paf's every one of them sounded a little different, that's what you hear....and every one sounds better than anything since.... that's what you don't hear.

My cynical/ sarcastic ramblings come after going full circle with all this crap.

Every vintage guitar sounds better than every new guitar, unless it's the newest guitar which sounds better than last years model, unless it's from the "good wood" years which can be any where between 1993 to 2014.

The beauty of guitars is every one is different judge them accordingly:)

L96A1

Reaction score
Unless you are taking a guitar apart and reglue it up, this subject is pointless.
But hey, its fun.