2017 Traditional Gibson - so, no weight relief?

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
I do wish they wouldn't have gone with the wired ABR-1 though... rattle trap potential. :hmm: Our CreamTone's are non-wired, which I prefer.

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

I need to check these out, I can always get just the non-wired bridge

grayd8

Reaction score
These will sell by the buttload. An R8 in Gibson USA clothing...

Even if they're back to no weight relief, Gibson will never put a long neck tenon on the Traditional. They will give us a long tenon on the standard, or no weight relief on the traditional; but they're never going to put both on the same guitar and have it come out of the USA line.

Mockbel

Reaction score
I believe all non semi hollow guitars are usually named "Solid Body" so don't let the term confuse you. Unless it is explicitly stated "non weight relief", I will consider it weight relieved...

2017 Trads won't have the Rhythm/treble tag on the toggle switch ????

Lebond

Reaction score
It says on Andertons website that it has no weight relief.

The 2017 Traditional looks very interesting especially with the rolled binding and the nickel plated hardware I can't wait to play one.

Gibson never seem to be to be able to get it 100% right as with the poker chip switch cover but is an easy fix I quess and the price here in the UK is £1949.00 whch is a bit of a jump from the 2016 price

Nippon

You looking at me?
Reaction score
The rolled binding seals the deal for me. Just waiting on the other colours. Hopefully no rim bursts.

GS1

Reaction score
The rolled binding seals the deal for me. Just waiting on the other colours. Hopefully no rim bursts.

I have the rolled binding on my 335, and it feels great. I agree, the Trads look very tempting this year, and no price increase doesn't hurt my feelings either!

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
That Black Cherry Burst looks so fine.
Too bad it's a Studio. I wouldn't mind owning one of those, but with binding...and creme plastics instead of black.

1allspub

Reaction score
The rolled binding thing just doesn't excite me. Admittedly I've never played an LP with it (well, except for some of the Epi LPs I have had in the past that pretty much had a 'rolled' effect to their binding, even if unintentionally). But I have always loved the look of that flat, scraped binding on an LP neck. I don't think I'd want to give that up.

I mean, just aesthetically it's one of the differences I always appreciated (and lusted after) before I had a Gibson LP and only had Epis (that and the nibs, which I love).

I guess I have just never noticed that my LPs' necks with their normal binding were uncomfortable (which they aren't).:hmm:

Nippon

You looking at me?
Reaction score
The rolled binding thing just doesn't excite me. Admittedly I've never played an LP with it (well, except for some of the Epi LPs I have had in the past that pretty much had a 'rolled' effect to their binding, even if unintentionally). But I have always loved the look of that flat, scraped binding on an LP neck. I don't think I'd want to give that up.

I mean, just aesthetically it's one of the differences I always appreciated (and lusted after) before I had a Gibson LP and only had Epis (that and the nibs, which I love).

I guess I have just never noticed that my LPs' necks with their normal binding were uncomfortable (which they aren't).:hmm:

I dont like the modern binding, it just looks unfinished.

1allspub

Reaction score
I dont like the modern binding, it just looks unfinished.

I have noticed from reading on here that you and I seem to have different tastes in LPs. ;)

Variety is the spice of life, if we all liked the same things it would be a boring world. It's all good! :D

mobidevjc

Reaction score
You two going on about rolled bindings reminds me that I need to take my LP to the luthier to have the binding shaved, which is really how you "roll" your fretboard on an LP with binding. My old guitar instructor did it for my first Strat with a screwdriver, but for the LP, I'm paying to have it done.

It is very nice to see Gibson doing this on a USA model. In my experience, it's made for a more comfortable neck, regardless of profile.

Latest Threads