2017 Traditional Gibson - so, no weight relief?

RangerJay

Glam Bastard
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
These will sell by the buttload. An R8 in Gibson USA clothing...

1allspub

Reaction score
It doesn't say anything about weight relief one way or the other. Last year there were conflicting retail websites, some stating non-weight relieved and some stating traditional weight relief for the Trads. We'll really have to wait for Gibson to tell us... if I had to guess I'd say they'll have traditional weight relief. But that's just a hunch. Could be wrong.

As for the pickups... all subjective of course, but I am not a BB fan, so to me the pickups are a downgrade. But again... it's all subjective.

mobidevjc

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust GC's description. There have been many cases where they've incorrectly claimed that a guitar was non-weight relieved. Even their demo videos have claimed this incorrectly. The best thing is to email Gibson and ask. Whoever writes this stuff for GC is often clueless.

In any case, as 1alls pointed out, this description doesn't say it's non-weight relieved. Many people read "solid body" and mistakenly assume that mean no weight relief. Most LPs, outside of some semi-hollow models, are classified as solid body, regardless of weight relief.

GS1

Reaction score
It says maple top on solid mahogany body. Looks like Gibson marketing speak to me, so hopefully it's legit. If so, this is one heck of a guitar for the money!

1allspub

Reaction score
It says maple top on solid mahogany body. Looks like Gibson marketing speak to me, so hopefully it's legit. If so, this is one heck of a guitar for the money!

It also says that on the Classic model... which it also states has 9 hole weight relief. And also on the Standard.

Regardless of weight relief, LPs are still "solid body" guitars.

GS1

Reaction score
It also says that on the Classic model... which it also states has 9 hole weight relief. And also on the Standard.

Regardless of weight relief, LPs are still "solid body" guitars.

Hmmm....guess we'll have to wait and see then! I am being an optimist here!

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

RustyNuts

Reaction score
Poker chip appears to be gone, along with the hardshell case for the studios. Now you get a $1500 Studio T in a gig bag.

AMS has several of the 2017 models in Stock now. Studios, fadeds, Tributes and Classics that I can see. The GT classic is tempting.

1allspub

Reaction score
Gibson has always referred to swiss cheese as a solid body.

Gibson has always referred to all their weight relieved LPs (whether swiss cheese or modern weight relief, or even chambered) as solid bodies.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
WOW I love that they went ABR and nickel. That's the first thing I always replace on mine

Poker chips are cheap, not a big deal but to me It means they want all of us to spend $ for their poker chips. lol

1allspub

Reaction score

I don't see anywhere on that first link (guitarguitar) that says non weight relieved... but clearly the Anderton's website states it explicitly. So until I hear otherwise I'll take the Captain's word! :)

Interesting that Anderton's only shows those same few color choices that we've seen on MF and GC websites. I wonder if that's it for the Trad in 2017? :( Cherry, Honey and Antique Burst? Not a lot of color options so far. Wonder if that will change?

(And only Cherry, Honey, Bourbon and Blueberry Bursts for the Standard?)

1allspub

Reaction score
WOW I love that they went ABR and nickel. That's the first thing I always replace on mine

Poker chips are cheap, not a big deal but to me It means they want all of us to spend $ for their poker chips. lol

I do wish they wouldn't have gone with the wired ABR-1 though... rattle trap potential. :hmm: Our CreamTone's are non-wired, which I prefer.

Latest Threads