2017 R8 serial number question

Luboy

Reaction score
Hello,
I have come across a great deal on a 2017 R8 from a private seller. I was wondering if I can determine if the year (2017) is legit based on the serial number, and if so how.

Luboy

Reaction score
The cert. has "LP STANDARD" instead of "LP STD.". Is that legit? Everything else looks very legit.

Luboy

Reaction score
what do you guys think of a more pronounced gap between the neck pickup and the fretboard? problematic or just aesthetic flaw? only thing that would bother me is possible effect on intonation or vast effect on pickup tone.

DanD

Reaction score
Pup rings are bone white, pup covers have soft edges, and the head stock looks to have the soft/ rounded edges. :hmm:

I've seen repurposed " '58s " from the serial number R8 622XX up.

Those were from the end of '16. If you were paying attention early in '17 is when Gibson stated no new reissues for a while.

That is because they had ~500 unsold guitars. This is the same time frame dealers were told they'd have to pre-order their stock and that Gibson was not producing unsold guitars.

These issues were well covered in this and the other forum.

My guess is that guitar is one of the left over stupidly high priced plain top THs with a buff job.

WW only purchased a few '58 THs and a few GTs. The 58 THs were all (very) plain tops.

They were a hard sell at $6900 and the fact that flame top '58s from 2014 (and '15 Tim) were still available as new at almost 3k less
Made them a tough sell.

From what I've seen the repurposing started at the end of '16 and then from 8 7001 ~ 8 7471.

With those numbers it leaves about 30 at the tail end of '16 that were repurposed to get to 500. (Mark's #? I think it was a posted by Mark guitar but it's been a while...:hmm:)

If interested in the guitar I'd ask about the neck 'feel ' if the seller goes on about how comfortable it is (rolled binding) I'd be sold on it. :cool2:

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think of a more pronounced gap between the neck pickup and the fretboard? problematic or just aesthetic flaw? only thing that would bother me is possible effect on intonation or vast effect on pickup tone.
Y’all got pictures,brother? How much of a gap are we talking about?:hmm:

lpthomas

Reaction score
Pup rings are bone white, pup covers have soft edges, and the head stock looks to have the soft/ rounded edges. :hmm:

Those were from the end of '16. If you were paying attention early in '17 is when Gibson stated no new reissues for a while.

That is because they had ~500 unsold guitars. This is the same time frame dealers were told they'd have to pre-order their stock and that Gibson was not producing unsold guitars.

My guess is that guitar is one of the left over stupidly high priced plain top THs with a buff job.

WW only purchased a few '58 THs and a few GTs. The 58 THs were all (very) plain tops.

They were a hard sell at $6900 and the fact that flame top '58s from 2014 (and '15 Tim) were still available as new at almost 3k less
Made them a tough sell.

From what I've seen the repurposing started at the end of '16 and then from 8 7001 ~ 8 7471.

With those numbers it leaves about 30 at the tail end of '16 that were repurposed to get to 500. (Mark's #? I think it was a posted by Mark guitar but it's been a while...:hmm:)

If interested in the guitar I'd ask about the neck 'feel ' if the seller goes on about how comfortable it is (rolled binding) I'd be sold on it. :cool2:
I'd say it doesn't have the soft edges. That cannot be seen on the picture itself.

Plus: If it was a left-over plain top TH, it would have had more than a buff job. It's a different color as well, and a different top coat.

"From what I've seen the repurposing started at the end of '16 and then from 8 7001 ~ 8 7471"

What was repurposed as what here? ONEHERO wouldn't care to answer my questions about this it seems.

lpthomas

Reaction score
It's neither. That's exactly how Gibson Custom wanted them to look like.

It's a "feature" on the True Historics and the earlier run of the 2017s.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's neither. That's exactly how Gibson Custom wanted them to look like.

It's a "feature" on the True Historics and the earlier run of the 2017s.

Made them a tough sell.

I'd say it doesn't have the soft edges. That cannot be seen on the picture itself.

Plus: If it was a left-over plain top TH, it would have had more than a buff job. It's a different color as well, and a different top coat.

"From what I've seen the repurposing started at the end of '16 and then from 8 7001 ~ 8 7471"

What was repurposed as what here? ONEHERO wouldn't care to answer my questions about this it seems.
Seriously y’all.are there pictures of the OPs guitar in question that I’m just not seeing!?!? :dunno:

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ll be damn....that is a noticeable gap. My ‘14 R8 don’t have that,however, I really don’t see this interfering with intonation or overall tone.
Like everything I post,this is Just my 2cents brother.

DanD

Reaction score
Check crotch's reverb ad.

LP Thomas do your own research...

This shit was covered ad nauseum...:facepalm: