2017 R8 - how to "store" and maintain it properly

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
Greetings friends, forum newb here. So i finally got my hands on a nice 2017 R8 Tea Burst (will proudly post pictures soon). Since I now have such a high quality instrument, I was wondering how to correctly store it? I live in an apartment where some rooms in the winter are heated and some are not. So the temperature difference between these rooms can be pretty high. Any tips??

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
Temperature is one concern that'll effect tuning, but a big impact is caused by humidity. Keeping the humidity down in your preferred guitar playing room is a good way to keep it in good nick (though I suspect if you're in a place that requires heating during Winter, you're probably not worried about this as much as I am in sunny Queensland).

If you are to put it in a stand (which is great, as it makes you want to play more), make sure to wrap the contact points of the stand in cotton, as the rubber stand points do not react well with lacquer over time.

Wipe after each playing with a dry cotton cloth or old t-shirt if you've ringed the neck out of it (like it deserves) and have sweated all over it. Most important of all, be careful and have fun with it!

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't overthink this stuff, unless you live in a igloo, or in a sauna.

What you should avoid is instant abrupt temperatures changes, and extremes in temp and humidity. If you feel comfy in those rooms, guitar will be fine too.

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
Don't overthink this stuff, unless you live in a igloo, or in a sauna.

What you should avoid is instant abrupt temperatures changes, and extremes in temp and humidity. If you feel comfy in those rooms, guitar will be fine too.
Well in southern Europe, where I live, are indeed huge temperature spikes throughout the year. Somewhere between 0 Celsius (32F) in winter and 40 Celsius ( 104 F) in summer. I had an Ibanez Jam 77FP where the backside of neck went green becouse of the humidity i guess. That s why i want to be carefull

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well in southern Europe, where I live, are indeed huge temperature spikes throughout the year. Somewhere between 0 Celsius (32F) in winter and 40 Celsius ( 104 F) in summer. I had an Ibanez Jam where the backside of neck went green becouse of the humidity i guess. That s why i want to be carefull
I do live same area, with same temp ranges along the year.

Point here is room temperatures and humidity. Outside situation it's another story; there you just need to avoid abrupt changes, but since the guitar it's in his case, you have all the time to put the case in the car, turn on some AC, and move.

As for the home rooms, if you can manage to stay in the range 15~28°C, that's all good. Even under or up this threshold, you shouldn't have any problem, unless you don't move from a room with 30°C to another with 0°, which I think isn't the case for any house. ;)

As for the humidity, that can be more problematic, but again, everything in the 30/60% of relative humidity, it's fine. Ideal is avearage 45/55%, but mostly for neck stability.

I do keep all my guitars in the same room, with a dehumidifier that keeps humidity stable in that range, but mostly because this room it's north oriented, so doesn't receive enough sun, so I prefer to keep everything under control.

I stock more than 40 guitars here, never had a single issue (again, problem is when you move your guitar from a COLD zone to HOT, or vice-versa, since the nitro needs lot of time to adapt to temp/hum changes). Of course in the long run (15/20/30 years), any Gibson will show its age, especially if you are playing instead collecting.

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
Ill probably go crazy with 40 guitars, thank god i dont have that problem

Midnight Blues

Premium Member
Reaction score
If possible, try to kept the humidity between 45% - 55%. Even though it's a solid-body, the neck will still benefit from the humidity. There are a number of in-case humidifiers you can use to help monitor/keep the humidity between those levels.

DarthPaul

Premium Member
Reaction score
I lived in a drafty old apartment building (built in 1867) in a NE coastal city for a few years.
The first winter was brutal when the old radiators kicked on.
It would go from "almost too cold to play" to "holy sh*t, who opened the gates of Hell?" in a matter of minutes.
In the summer the building would turn into a brick oven, and the only respite was offered in the form of humid wind coming of the harbor.
My solution was to keep them as far away from the radiators and windows as possible (in their cases).
Hopefully my guitars will never experience that again!

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
I store mine on the wall so i can play it anytime. Its just a guitar after all. Looking forward to:photos:Congrats and :welcome: to the forum.
Thank you! And dont worry, it wont stay on the wall cuz ill gig it like crazy :jam:

guitarded_82

Reaction score
Put it on your bed when you wake up.

Good enough for you, good enough for guitar.

judson

Reaction score
never store it as others said...just play it all the time, never let it leave your hands or sight...

i gotta admit this....i woke up most mornings with a guitar in my bed more times than a woman.

but there is a lot of positives to that i think....maybe um i dunno....:hmm:

welcome to MLP :yesway: :)

judson

Reaction score
I dont think thats something you should brag about :):):)
actually as i got older i have been trying to make up for it ....guitars are usually on stands next to the bed, and there have been a few stray drunk fat chicks that have rolled out from the opposite side....they might tip over...the chicks... not the guitars

ok i will stop right there :rofl:

Maestro Fuzz

Reaction score
actually as i got older i have been trying to make up for it ....guitars are usually on stands next to the bed, and there have been a few stray drunk fat chicks that have rolled out from the opposite side....they might tip over...the chicks... not the guitars

ok i will stop right there :rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:you made my day bro hahaha