2017 R8... Gap between end of neck and pickup ring.. Deal breaker or not?

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
2017 is well within the "pocket" range, even "Apex" of Gibson's complete lack of Quality Work and Quality Control. And you know what, crap is still coming out of their factory, my shop see's the warranty work.

Save up some more money and shop around for a "vintage years" LP, something before 1990 and you'll find far better quality and something that WILL appreciate in value and your love of ownership.

Victory Pete

Reaction score
2017 is well within the "pocket" range, even "Apex" of Gibson's complete lack of Quality Work and Quality Control. And you know what, crap is still coming out of their factory, my shop see's the warranty work.

Save up some more money and shop around for a "vintage years" LP, something before 1990 and you'll find far better quality and something that WILL appreciate in value and your love of ownership.
I have 2 2018 R0s that are perfect in every way. I also have many USA Gibsons that are perfect also. I had many problems with Gibsons in the 1980's. Didnt buy one for years after that until 2001 and then started collecting them.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm not so sure I would say Gibson exhibits a " complete lack of Quality work and quality control ".

I've owned many LP's and my #1 of all my guitars is a 2014 R6 Goldtop, that is perfect in every way. Zero finish issues, beautiful R/W fretboard, the P-90's sound as good, just slightly different than my 50's P-90's.

The playability is the best of any Les Paul I have or have had. And weighs 7.8 lbs.

Are you an authorized Gibson repair shop? Just curious as you stated your shop sees Gibson warranty work.

Do you perform Gibson warranty work, or just see their warranty work being done?

ARandall

Reaction score
^ He's one the forum's cynics.

Best just to ignore.......there's a LOT of hyperbole and very little 'scientific method' to whatever is posted

honeyBurst59

Reaction score
Playability & tone are the most important considerations for me (they're equally important). The look of the guitar is the next most important, and the least important is resale value. These things were probably highlighted in earlier posts as it relates to that gap, so sorry if I'm repeating.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
That gap seems a little big and would bother me personally.

Lebond

Reaction score
My 2017 R8 has a similar gap.

I like it.

IMG_20200519_092331.jpg

BSeneca

Reaction score
If it sounds great who freaking cares!? Most people buy guitars to play, some collect. If it speaks to you that gap doesn’t effect the tone good or bad. If you want a pristine example to eventually flip well that’s your decision. I’ve never fully understood why cosmetic things ie: knobs/ inlays/ colors/ pickup rings etc etc gets so many people panties in a bunch. I like a gap on a woman I don’t mind one on a guitar! Lol. Seriously buy it, if you dont like the SOUND or the PLAYABILITY. Then pull the gap card and return it. Good Luck

Victory Pete

Reaction score
If it sounds great who freaking cares!? Most people buy guitars to play, some collect. If it speaks to you that gap doesn’t effect the tone good or bad. If you want a pristine example to eventually flip well that’s your decision. I’ve never fully understood why cosmetic things ie: knobs/ inlays/ colors/ pickup rings etc etc gets so many people panties in a bunch. I like a gap on a woman I don’t mind one on a guitar! Lol. Seriously buy it, if you dont like the SOUND or the PLAYABILITY. Then pull the gap card and return it. Good Luck
Many here care about all kinds of details. Why do you care that we care?

SASouth

Reaction score
5 pages and counting. Arguing about trivial shit. :facepalm:

If I didn’t know better I’d say that’s a record.

SASouth

Reaction score
You must be new here.
Nope. I’ve been around for quite awhile.

Usually I keep my opinions to myself but every once in a while i find it impossible to hold my tongue.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I would never buy that guitar.
I just KNOW that while I was onstage pouring my soul into one of my painstakingly-wrought original compositions, there would be a semi-circle of girls in the audience giggling and pointing at my.......gap.

simon connor

Reaction score
00876D2E-9C8D-458D-A194-60F47377BD27.jpeg

My 2017 R0 has a pretty large gap and the gap is at a slight angle! Between that and the reflector knobs, the tone is just epic!

Victory Pete

Reaction score
View attachment 463397
My 2017 R0 has a pretty large gap and the gap is at a slight angle! Between that and the reflector knobs, the tone is just epic!
I have 2 2018 ROs and their tone is epic. I think the ROs with the thinner necks have a snappier tone. I saw a video comparing the original 58, 59, and 60 models and each year got progressively crunchier

BSeneca

Reaction score
Many here care about all kinds of details. Why do you care that we care?
If you read my quote properly I said I never “understood“ why people care. Unless you’re flipping and want most for your dollar. I wasn’t putting anyone down. it doesn’t make sense to ME. Would you REALLY pass on a great guitar because of a gap? Not me. But to each his own. Play it and enjoy it

Latest Threads