2017 Les Paul Standard and feedback

Joejitsumd

Reaction score
my used 2017 Les Paul standard arrived today. It’s a beautiful guitar but I am so far disappointed in the Burstbucker pro pickups. The bridge sounds incredibly thin and ice pick like. Worse yet it seems like there is a lot of more feedback than I’m used to when I turn up the amp. Add to that a fair amount of static crackling etc. my Les Paul studio 50s tribute does not sound nearly as thin and the guitar doesn’t feedback like the new standard.

First question: is it likely the pickups themselves are the root of the added feedback and static? Or should I consider replacing the pcb?

Second question: if I decide to replace the pickups, what do I need to get to make sure they can plug into the pcb and still have the push/pull options etc? I have swapped pickups and electronics on many guitars but never dealt with a plug in pcb board. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 75CAB9AE-608F-4EC1-8A3D-07D4C16586BB.jpeg
    75CAB9AE-608F-4EC1-8A3D-07D4C16586BB.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 60

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Are you sure the pups are original and not some low life pups
that the previous owner installed before shipping it?
It has happened before.
:dunno:

Joejitsumd

Reaction score
Pots are push pull and even with them pushed in (humbucker), the bridge pickup is very thin and shrill when the volume is up. The feedback doesn’t seem to change much whether the pots are in or out.

Joejitsumd

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure they are the original pickups but I haven’t pulled them to be sure. But the connections to the PCB look like they came from the factory.

Wrench66

Reaction score
If you are gonna replace the pups, why not just remove the PCB and wire it old school? I'm not anti PCB as my two Les Pauls have them, but I wouldn't hesitate to remove the PCB if it came down to it.

DylanLP

Reaction score
You want a classic PAF sound or hard rock/metal?

I would consider other options before blaming the pups like the quality of the amp, amp setting, guitar adjustments...etc.

Congrats on your new LP :cheers:

Joejitsumd

Reaction score
I didn’t want to rip out the pcb if possible. If I wanted to do that I would have just bought a stripped Les Paul and saved a few hundred bucks. I’m going for more of a PAF rock sound than metal. As for the amp I’m using the same exact settings when I play my studio 50s tribute and the studio sounds worlds better than the standard. Henceforth the pickup swap idea to thicken the tone.

DylanLP

Reaction score
I didn’t want to rip out the pcb if possible. If I wanted to do that I would have just bought a stripped Les Paul and saved a few hundred bucks. I’m going for more of a PAF rock sound than metal. As for the amp I’m using the same exact settings when I play my studio 50s tribute and the studio sounds worlds better than the standard. Henceforth the pickup swap idea to thicken the tone.

The only Gibson pickup I fancy in the bridge position is 498T or 500T but again i play mainly hard rock/metal with my LP. Sorry can’t help you more in this department. Good luck!

endial

Reaction score
How does the neck pup sound in comparison?

It sounds to me like something is amiss in the bridge wiring, maybe even a bad pup.

Tried lowering the bridge pup? Almost sounds like it's right on the strings.

-Sorry if this sounds like it's way out there, it's just hard to imagine how MUCH thin and shrill/distorted you're talking here.

Edit: Damn beautiful guitar there.

dodona

Reaction score
my 15 years old Burstbucker pro's don't sound thin or ice picky. They are very good pickups. Check out a real amp, a Marshall.

PierM

Reaction score
If guitar were mine, apart the obvious attempt to solve via amp/eq, guitar tone/vol sweet spots etc... I would start from the cheapest path;
  • Pickup height to try finding the sweet spot... (at the same time keep playing with the vol/tone as it's really a matter to find the damn spot)
  • Swap of bridge and saddles. I'd personally try with brass saddles.
  • If you feel confident with pickup mods, I'd try to swap with some Alnico 2 bars, instead of the 5 you should have on stock.
As for the feedback, the ultra/modern weight relief is for sure way more resonating than a full solid body, so it can be more prone to feedback at high volumes. Not as a fully chambered instrument, but still....

DylanLP

Reaction score
That's an interesting question...as I think a PAF can be a great "metal" pickup.
Yes you’re right, especially with all the technological advancements from amps to pedals.

Latest Threads